Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Transformer for Electrolysis Tank

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2199 times

Old 03-23-2018, 10:33:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,159 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: Transformer for Electrolysis Tank

As long as itís bubbling itís working. The rebar gets pretty gunked over but doesnít seem to dissolve as fast as the mower blades. Iíve got some shredder blades I plan to use in the best bigger tote.

Iím not sure if a bigger project would require more amps or a longer detention time
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2018, 05:22:32 PM
Subscriber

With the set up I have now, I can't use the side anodes because the amp draw is too high for the charger. I would prefer a higher amp output power source because I want to speed the process up. I have been going at this project way too long using this method. It does however have it's advantages.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:08:14 PM
Registered-I

I've had very good success with a re-purposed computer power supply. It provides 12 V and up 15 A - 20 A depending on which one you get. I've seen some that give 30 A
The conversion to re-purposed use is straightforward - simply cut off all the plastic connectors - segregate the wire colours i.e. black, yellow, orange and red.
The black is the 0V and the yellow is +12V . To make it wake up connect the green to one of the black wires. The black - red is +3.3 V and the black-orange is +5 V
The neat thing is that if it is overloaded it simply stops working. You unplug, wait 6 seconds and plug in again and it works.
Most small computer shops have stacks of these things - usually give them away.
You tube has lots of conversion videos - they are called "ATX Power Supplies"
miro
Old 09-25-2018, 01:49:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,112 Times in 461 Posts

One of the best pages on converting ATX power supplies IMHO. http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...ply.htm#levels

There is a method of using AC motor capacitors to derive 15 volts from the mains without a transformer. The more caps the more amps. The power factor though is crap and the danger is quite high. There is no isolation at all.

Robert