Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 13824 times

Old 10-08-2015, 05:41:55 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Now that is nifty. Did not know such existed.

Gotta check that out.

Will get one on the way to town. Small engine guy who is good folks on the way.
Just general Small generator info items available.
Check out this seller on flea bay. For example couple items.

I also recently installed a tri-fuel kit onto a l-head 10hp Tecumseh HM-100 engine which can use all three fuels (gas, propane or Natural gas) from us carb on flea bay with good results using the c kit which they run on sale for $88 with free shipping about every 20 days. Can test operate the engine on propane and now worry about gummed up gasoline in carb afterwards during storage. If you have access to large Propane tank or natural gas line you have clean constant fuel supply for long term running w/o hauling gasoline for refilling.
Here is a example that is not on sale right now for a Tecumseh. They are closing out several other models because they are promoting their snorkel system now days, but I prefer the c kit for small gen engines.
The C kit is a easy install for a tinkerer. They also sell the regulator and hose kit which will make the whole install easy without have to run around and get addition regulator, hose, adaptors. I think the hose accessory kit sells for about $40 when on sale. All with free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2016, 07:35:38 PM
Registered-I

Well here we are with another hurricane (Matthew). Lost power this morning as I was out with our fire dept (4:10AM) was working a wreck in high wind and stinging rain.

Got home and fired off the Powerback at 0855 and it is now 7:00 and still going strong running two fridges, two freezers, computer, TV, kitchen lights, basement lights etc.

Power came back on a few minutes ago and I am going to run it till it is empty and see how long it runs. It has 9 hours run time in five minutes.

I shut it off every three hours to see how oil level is doing. Running nice and smooth.

Found I have a carb bowl gasket leakage so gotta get another gasket for it.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18:23 AM
Registered-I

Wife just came in and woke me up and said it had changed tone so I got flashlight and went out and it was lugging down and when I got close the trash evidently got sucked through and it revved back up. I let it run under no load for about two minutes and shut it down. Will crank it back up tomorrow and put heaters on it and run it on down.

I looked at watch. 14 hours on one tank and I estimate 1 1/4" gas left in tank !
! ! ! ! I estimate another 4 hours run time on that tank. Only thing I can figure is the stainless steel restrictor I put in the high speed tube that replaced the factory one.

I looked in with flash light and there is all kinds of crud around the drain opening. I need to figure out a way to get that crud out.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:31:32 PM
Registered-I

This morning I measured the fuel level in tank with rod and it had 1.9". I hooked up two 1400+ watt electric heaters, a 500 watt light and a electric clock set to 12:00, fired it off and plugged in the above and let it run till tank went dry.

Today was 1 hr 35 min so a total full tank ran 15hr. 35 minutes which is amazing for sure. That is over two hours a gallon at a 7 gal tank capacity ! ! !

I am going to leave fill cover off and let it dry inside and then insert a crevice nozzle on vacuum cleaner in and suck out all the residue surrounding the outlet port in the low level around it once it is dried up.

I am not seeing any more residue in the fuel filter.

I am going to have to remove float bowl as the gasket is letting fuel leak a tad around the top. I will remove the high speed tube and take my number drills and try them to see what size hole I drilled in the steel piece I turned to replace the donut that was factory installed so you guys will know. If it will come out I will photograph it for you all.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:36:51 PM
Sponsor

re using suction to get the crud out

be cautious about flammable crud

some vacuums still have "universal" motors

don't vacuum the closet with the reloading supplies either.
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 12:20:06 AM
Subscriber

Amen on using vacuum cleaner on fuel residue. Alternative if you have vacuum pump, get an old freon tank,pull a vacuum on tank. Then make up a fitting to put small diameter hose freon tank and open valve to suck out trash. Then close valve and pressurize with air. Then go outside and invert tank and open valve. This will blow out trash and gas residue. Be careful at this point because the some of the gas will be vaporized and very inflammable. Repeat pressurize and purge. Then vacuum with pump and repeat whole process if neccessary. Be very careful, gasoline as a vapor or spray is very flammable.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:47:16 AM
Registered-I

good idea on the vacuum tank.

It had all but dried up last evening leaving the cap off as there was only about 1/2 oz. left. I have a 4X4 piece of plywood on it as where I have it running is next to a steel table so I put the plywood over it while running to keep it dry.

The slab I park it on has a slight angle so I made steel plugs that raised the back of the generator and park it. When it runs dry sitting there the only gas left is around the drain hole in the depression molded in tank.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:33:09 AM
Registered-I

Update: Just found a quirky little problem. I fired up gen and it was leaking more gas than usual so I dropped bowl off bottom, got rid of some crud, put bowl back on and it leaked very badly.

To make a long story short the float will go down enough that the needle valve will FALL OUT ! ! ! ! Had to get down on hands and knees and found it in grass.

Put it back together and it still leaked??????????? Pulled it down and noted the needle valve will come out if bowl is not oriented so the float bumps on the high side. Was looking at it with head loop and found where it contacted and oriented it so float would not drop down and it ran fine about five hours except for bits of fuel line breaking loose and going to carb.

It stopped four times in 90 minutes, also spit and coughed occasionally. I would choke it, pull rope, the open choke and it fired back up and ran fine. After the fourth time it wan 3 1/2 hours just fine.

Think I will get Tygon fuel line for the last half of the run below the in line filter.