Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

US Motors AA21A Generator

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 737 times

Old 10-12-2018, 07:46:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: US Motors AA21A generator

Generator power systems are something I never got into much in my 60 years of twisting wrenches, at least not what the guts of the generator did.
Trying to look inside this thing is tough, even with both brush covers off.

I haven't put it all back together yet, later on I'm going to start it up and see if I can get some readings off just the commutator. I have an old Kohler engine that's equiped with a generator/starter. But, those are just standard automotive DC generators.

Need to do some digging into just how an old generator like this produces electricity.I know 1 guy about 30 miles from me who's about my age and would probably know all about this thing, but he'd probably want me to bring it up to him and this heavy beast is too much for me to handle anymore.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 01:34:56 PM
Registered

Well, rats !!!
After days of running like a champ. I went out and fired up the old ZZ and she ain't gennin' a volt.
Checked both leads that had been hot, nothing. Too weird.

HAH !!! FIXED !!!
Slip rings looked bright, armature was pretty dull looking.
Went to a tool box and grabbed my polishing stone, a few seconds and it was bright and there was power again.
Sure glad I still had that stone.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:11:42 PM
Registered

Cleaned that corner of the shed and got the genset sitting better. A couple lags down through the base will stop it from wanting to move.
Even as heavy as it is it'll still want to walk around a little when running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZ running.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	321189