Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Pithy Statements

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 951 times

Old 10-29-2018, 01:00:26 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Pithy Statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post

I have a saying regarding used junk, "The wrong generator free will cost you more than the right one full price." Especially in the off grid world. That one really seems to wake them up.
I liked that statement the first time I read it in one of your other posts. It speaks to the customer in terms that they should understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post

I need to boil that down to something that will grab them. Or maybe that is as close as we will get.
Tell em: Anything worth doing twice is worth doing right the first time.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 10:12:01 PM
Registered-III

Hmmm... Good question. I am not 100% certain on the best technique or speech to give a customer to educate them on going towards a quality unit vs. a fly by night manufacture.

You said you are working in the off grid industry, awesome!

An idea for you, compile a couple work sheets using some data compiled from other customer experiences. Then you could include things like initial purchase price, average fuel costs, count of scheduled service calls and unscheduled service calls, repair parts (May want to include things like, X parts were or were not available), equipment failures, and overall lifetime (in years) of equipment.
After compiling all of that data, come up with a average cost per year for X, Y, and Z type of generator.

Another idea, what I have encountered is the chines clone equipment (Harbor Freight is as an example) Yes, they are cheaper and factory specs or pretty close to the original copied equipment (lets say Honda for example) But, Can you buy lets say a replacement crank or engine case for the clone equipment? Anyone local have one in stock?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56:19 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
Hmmm... Good question. I am not 100% certain on the best technique or speech to give a customer to educate them on going towards a quality unit vs. a fly by night manufacture.

You said you are working in the off grid industry, awesome!

Another idea, what I have encountered is the chines clone equipment (Harbor Freight is as an example) Yes, they are cheaper and factory specs or pretty close to the original copied equipment (lets say Honda for example) But, Can you buy lets say a replacement crank or engine case for the clone equipment? Anyone local have one in stock?
Yes you can and its usually way cheaper to rebuild a clone.
The main advantage beyond cost to Chinese equipment is the tendency of those guys over there to make fateful or at least compatible copies of stuff.
They seem to treat making a copy almost like an art form...
I like this, anything that smashes the yoke single source parts is a good thing. ( Boo-Hoo Honda and their predatory pricing )

90% of your small and big block Honda clones will have interchangeable internal parts within the engine family.
You can easily take the regulator out of a Champion and stick it in a powerfist or even Onan.
Internal parts can be tricky....
Kohler clones have a different taper from Honda on the flywheel but same as the HF predator.
You can swap a Liffan head for a Honda, Hemi predator for 212 wedge but some dowel pins might be a bit different ( just don't use them eye ball it )
All 70mm and 68mm pistons physical fit in their respective bores but some have longer skirts ( so trim them ) and some use one of two sizes of wrist pin ( buy the right rod and there is no issue )

Now.....
The fact you can fix it with a wide vareity of parts from a range of other generators utility engines and even lawn mowers does not mean you will find a list of parts to use.
You need to know what you are doing and be willing to tinker.

Long after the GX line is discontinued by Honda there will be parts available to repair them
Old 10-31-2018, 09:45:33 AM
Sponsor

of course the real cost hits when you need it the most.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV
Old 10-31-2018, 09:30:58 PM
Registered-II

I think we need to question the OP's initial premise. He is looking for a catchy turn of phrase to convince potential buyers that the products he sells are better than those of lesser price/quality/durability. He's trying to educate them about power generation systems. Is this really possible? Sure some people are receptive to logically crafted arguments and clearly presented evidence. Others are obstinate and as thick as a plank. Trying to convince them is a waste of time and good breath. Years ago there was an old timer working on the cement crew that handled all the flatwork for the industrial building projects I worked on. The developer's relative was the straw boss and he was not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. The old timer tried to explain things to him, with little result. Finally he would throw up his hands in defeat and say. "The more I tells that boy, the stupider I gets!"

So continue what it sounds like you are doing, presenting the customers with the pertinent information, and let them make of it what they will. There's nothing more you can do.

You can educate people who are ignorant. Ignorance implies a lack of knowledge, and it may be possible to fill that void, with good results. But far too many people are STUPID and as we all know there ain't no cure for stupid.