Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Marmon Chicago Co. lighting plant

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2156 times

Old 05-09-2010, 04:27:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,606 Times in 715 Posts
Default Marmon Chicago Co. lighting plant

I bought the remains of a lighting plant yesterday which has a New-Way vertical air-cooled engine mounted on a base marked "The Marmon Chicago Co." (see photos below). It spent its working life here in south-west England, but I've no idea how it got here. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the Marmon Chicago Co. and perhaps supply some pictures of a complete unit that would help with restoration? Also, if anyone knows where I could obtain a suitable generator and switchboard that would be of great help too. I will get some better photos of my engine when we unload it, but you might be able to make out the large (Kingston?) carburettor that is fitted.

Many thanks

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engines3.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	78672   Click image for larger version

Name:	engines4.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	78673  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 01:14:43 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Marmon Chicago Co. lighting plant

David I have a MARCO lighting plant 1500 watt built in the 1920's{this is the Trade name used by the Marmon company}. It is complete except for the chain guard. I can send some pictures. Send me your E- Mail address and other information you may need on this plant. Dale
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,606 Times in 715 Posts

Just giving this a bump... I talked to a New-Way collector at Rollag in 2011 who mentioned that a Marco lighting plant minus the engine was sold at auction in the Eastern US a few years before. I would obviously be very interesting in locating and perhaps purchasing this if possible, so if anyone can give me any leads I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks

David

P.S. Dale, thanks for the reply, and glad I was able to make contact with you!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:00:21 PM
Subscriber

I have received as a gift from a good friends estate, It has been taken apart and cleaned. I would like to reassemble this engine, but I have no idea what if any thing is missing, other than the switch pannel.The only photo I can find is in the Big Yellow Book page 290. Any help out their.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:31:11 PM
Subscriber

Here is an awesome site for New Way engines and a new pdf brochure for the Marco/Marmon.
I have one also that is buried. Let me know if you need a picture of a specific item, I will try and get it for you. Keep us informed on your progress and post some pictures !
Good luck.

http://newwaystation.blogspot.com/20...t-new-way.html