Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Homelite LR5000T "Free!"

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 620 times

Old 11-04-2018, 06:51:16 PM
Sponsor

Default Homelite LR5000T "Free!"

I picked up this generator yesterday from a former relative. It is not in running condition. It was stored with fuel in it, and the rubber seal/grommet that holds the fuel petcock in the bottom of the plastic fuel tank disintegrated. The throttle and choke shafts were frozen, but some WD-40 and a little coaxing freed them up. The carburetor bowl had a coat of varnish that cleaned up with some solvent. The fuel system would have to be reworked, but may be repairable with some TLC. I don't know the condition of the rest of the engine or the generator end, but it doesn't look bad. Based on the condition of the muffler, it doesn't look like it has logged many hours. The engine turns over freely. When I picked it up yesterday the unit was setting on its side, presumably to keep gasoline from running out of the bottom of the tank. When the spark plug was removed, there was a thick coat of oil in the cylinder that probably had leaked past the rings while the engine was sideways. The engine is a Tecumseh, which is now out of business. I don't know how available parts would be, especially for the carburetor.

I had planned on fixing this up for my daughter. With the unknown parts availability, the fact that I already have too many unfinished projects around here, and not enough room to store it until I get around to working on it, I am going to let it go. If anyone wants it for a fixer-upper or a parts donor machine and is within driving distance, send me a PM. (Sorry, the furniture dolly is not included.) I'm going to keep it for a week. If no one wants it, I will haul it to the scrap yard along with some gel cell batteries that I need to dispose of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6759.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	322098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6761.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	322099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Data Plate.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	322100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	322101  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Dawkins For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,052 Posts
Default Re: Homelite LR5000T "Free!"

Wish I were closer. Distance kills a lot of things.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56:03 PM
Registered-III

I had fixed a 5500watt version of the same homelite for a neighbor last summer that had an 11hp briggs. You can get the rubber disc and valve for $10 on ebay. Search "Homelite Generator 06642 Fuel Valve Petcock & 47222 Valve Seal Bushing" You can certainly get all of the parts that you need for that Tecumseh online. Parts are cheap for them. It is worth fixing as long as the cylinder isnt too bad. If you work at it, you can get that unit all cleaned up and running for about $20. If it runs nice, rebuild the carburetor, change the oil and keep it on standby for your daughter. If it smokes like hell and sounds like its going to blow up, just chalk it up as a $10 loss for the fuel valve, and sell the engine on ebay.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,112 Times in 461 Posts

Steve, Thank you for your offer. Let me know if you find a new home for it? Still thinking about this gen. I've worked on several Tecumseh engines and find them very easy to fix.

I just recently worked on a 5HP Briggs Homelite LR2500 for a neighbor. Sadly his needs a carb that no one seems to have available. I doubt a rebuild kit would help his LR2500 as it was beyond nasty.

The HM100 on your genset and my Coleman with it's HM80 are very similar engines and the carbs are very close as well. The only difference likely is that your Homelite is probably of the non adjustable style being a newer set. My Coleman is a early 90's machine with fully adjustable jet type carby.

Tecumseh is not a bad engine. But they are temperamental machines. One just has to learn the right touch to make them happy.

Robert

Last edited by Railroads; 11-06-2018 at 01:31:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16:56 PM
Sponsor

Robert, no takers yet. I will offer it through next weekend, and then it goes for a one way ride. I looked at the eBay ads that K-Tron suggested, and the prices for the repair parts seem very reasonable. Still, I don't have the time and space for it now. After due thought and consideration, I also don't think this genset would be a good fit for my daughter for a couple of reasons. I you decide you want it, I can hold onto it a few days longer until you get here to pick it up.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:43:45 AM
Registered-III

Steve, I sent another PM. I will let you know if my plan works out or not. If Sis is willing to help it might take a little longer. She runs a business and is quite busy all the time.

There is a considerable distance between Me and her and her and you. She is closer than me by a full day though.

Like Pat said above, distance has been the killer in more than one offer over the years.

If we can't make things work. I will let you know by the weekend.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Robert

Last edited by Railroads; 11-06-2018 at 01:30:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01:55 PM
Registered-III

Hmm, Not to jinx myself but it looks like I might have another project for the winter soon.

Robert

Last edited by Railroads; 11-12-2018 at 08:32:31 PM.