Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Direct Current Generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 455 times

Old 11-14-2018, 07:27:11 PM
Registered

Default Direct Current Generator

I recently acquired this neat generator. The tag was conveniently removed at some point in its life, so I have no way of knowing the unit's specifications. There is a serial number 500795. It has three connection points. Pos, Neg, and field. I plan on making it operational again after a restoration, but I would like to know it's rated voltage to start. Other information like no load voltage, ball park field rheostat resistance range, and rpm would be great too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_180106.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	322890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_180150.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	322891  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJQ For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,424 Posts
Default Re: Direct Current Generator

Just as a truly WAG, based on the heft of the armature conductors, the size of the commutator, and the number of commutator bars, I'm going to GUESS that this is a 40 volt machine, ie for charging a 32 volt battery....

To get a better idea of it's rated voltage, I would drive it at a constant, reasonable speed, say 1,000 rpm, then plot a magnetization curve.

This is done by incrementally increasing excitation current and noting the resulting armature voltage. This will be a straight line, at first, but at some level of field current it will begin to flatten out, ie less increase in armature voltage for a given increase in field current. The voltage required to reach that level of field current will likely be near the designed operating voltage, give or take. It'll get you close enough to tell whether it's say 40 volt, or 115 volt, for example.

Once you know that, and while still applying that much field current, you can now change the driven speed until you get the same voltage on the armature as you've determined is correct. Now you have an approximation of the design speed. In reality it will be somewhat faster than that. And if you want to make the speed even higher, that's when you can start playing with inserting some external field resistance.

Oh, and Welcome to the 'Stak!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19:15 PM
Registered-III

If you measure the surface area of the poles or the total amount of armature surface iron and compare this with this with another known machine of about the same era you can guess at the amount of flux the machine operated at and torque and power.

This does not work well with newer machines because the insulation systems and alloys of the steel are different (makes new machines more powerful.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Newoldstock For This Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26:47 PM
Registered

Vanman

Thank you for your reply. I too was thinking it was a for a 32V charging system, based on the heavy gauge of all the wiring on the unit. I have read about how to determine the gens ratings by running it, but I like how you described it better. I never thought of plotting the curve. That's a great idea too. I will start at a low speed as you suggested, and go from there. I have a 2hp 240V 1800rpm motor to use for testing, but I will need some kind of VFD to vary the speed I guess? Ultimately my goal would be to run the gen with a antique engine, as slow as possible to run some loads for demonstration, but not cause damage to the gen.

I have a few more questions if anyone can help. Correct rotation would be CW if viewed from the commutator end? What effect does rotating the brush holders have on the generator? Reason I ask is there was a factory mark on brush holder and base, but the brush holder was rotated 1/8" CW from factory mark when found. Also would like to know a good brush supplier, to replace the worn down ones. Having issues finding a supplier with the correct size. 0.5"Tx0.75"Wx 1.5" to 2" long.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00:43 PM
Subscriber

CJQ,
I don't know much about generators, but it reminds me of a Canning dynamo I sold recently. The Canning was made for electroplating work and was made well into the 20th century. It was 6 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canning 01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	322912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canning 03.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	322913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canning 05.jpg
Views:	49