Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 13825 times

Old 07-09-2014, 08:46:17 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

I decided the Seafoam wasn't cleaning things up fast enough so this morning I pulled the carb and found the idle restrictor screw ports clogged both directions and the high speed nut ports were also clogged so cleaned them out with stainless and copper wire. There was also crud on the need valve seat and the gas I had run through it did nothing to dissolve the stuff in bottom of float bowl.

I now have the idle, high speed nut and needle soaking in Gumout. The whole carb is submerged in ethenol gas as it did a good job in dissolving the gum in my Onan 2.5 LK which had set up for 14 years. The ethenol gas did a good job in cleaning up everyting there.

Got copper wire into the 3 ports on the side of the intake bore and carb cleaner went through them fine.

I suspect I will let the carb soak till next week.

The info Ed provided has proven quite useful.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2014, 04:22:16 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,060 Posts

the problem with old gas is it turns to hard varnish and it can be a challenge to get it to loosen up.
I've had good luck with using naptha for a soak and got a small ultrasonic cleaner for small parts like carbs after soaking in the naptha.
you can get one for cheap money at harbor freight.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56:25 AM
Registered-III

If that is a 10hp Tecumseh with a low emissions non adjustable jet carb it will be normal for the engine to hunt and surge with a new low emissions carb or your carb when it's unclogged when the engine first started cold and even worse when temp is cold. (will hunt and surge for about 30 seconds before stabilizing. (kinda aggravating because the voltage is also up and down) Disconnect all loads when first starting the gen, then connect loads after the engine stabilizes.

If you will send me a PM I'll email you a recipe for correcting the hunting.

Only takes few minutes and costs about $20 or less
Old 07-10-2014, 04:56:25 PM
Registered-I

Put it back together today and it is better but no there yet. Email sent. Thankks
Old 07-17-2014, 10:28:11 AM
Registered-I

Update: Well for now things are really looking up. Had the carb down for third time and noticed what I thought was gummy build up in "high speed bowl nut" passageway and looked at it with a 7X glass and it was a rubber donut affair and was deterriorated which I surmised was the reason it did not want to run right anywhere.

I have a new carb inbound and thought well this might be the reason it doesn't fly right so I decided to make a field mod to see if it affected anything. I turned a piece of drill rod stock bushing on the lathe and drilled a number hole in it that I thought corresponded with the plunger inside the high speed bowl and my hole is a few thou bigger and I thought well it might be helpful. The little donut was only about .035 thick (guessing) and my bushing is about .115" long.

Seems to say that in the original design the high speed bowl opening was drilled too big and as a afterthought they restricted it with the do nut which was sure to deteriorate in time.

Wow, put the carb back together this morning and for the first time ever was I able open the choke completely and have it run! ! ! ! It was jerky at first and finally started settling down. It has been running about 45 minutes now with two electric heaters plugged in and it is putting out 118v consistantly under a load of about 2800 watts.

The longer it runs the smoother it runs (so far knock on wood). The amazing thing is I have a Greelee digital meter plugged in and it is sitting on 118V steady which I have yet to see in anything else.

With my luck it will blow up soon and that is that. With the new viton fuel tank grommet that gives me 175.00 in this thing and it looks promising for sure.

After this tank ( have a Briggs & stratton fuel tank off a lawn mover hooked to it as I didn't want to risk a leak from the big tank just yet. Rather find that with the engine cold haha.

When this tank runs dry I will refill it and let it sit with Sea Foam in it
for a couple days, put in the new grommet and add a 1/2 gal of 87 non ethenol and see if I have any leaks, If that is a go I will fire it up and add another half gallon and time it to see how long it will go on a gallon and add the 240 plug with an outlet for both legs then I can load it up a bit at a time and and see if I can hold 2000 watts per leg which will give me just shy of 20 amps on each.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:17:45 PM
Registered-I

Update: Went and picked up about 12 gallons of non ethenol and started filling the tank and all sudden I have gas pouring eveywhere. I had to get a siphon going and put it back in cans.

Pulled the tank off and found where a PO had found a crack at the assembly seam on one edge and tried to patch it with epoxy I guess. It came right off and I ran a wafer cutting tip on my soldering gun down the crack to bake out the other stuff and sanded the surface and put Marinetex on it.

Only added about 2 1/2 gal of non ethenol so the Marinetex will have overnight to fully cure. Cranked it off and let it run five minutes no load and then put on 2200 watts of electric heaters and two 300 watt flood lights and adjusted it for 124 volts and let it run.

About forty minutes into the run it sounded like it was lugging down but voltage remained about 114 and it did not shut down. In total I let it run an hour with that load. Tomorrow I will up the wattage some and see if it stays OK.

Does anyone know what the plastic tank material is used on the Devilbliss generators?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:20:12 PM
Registered-I

Well it would appear the Powerback is a keeper. Starts on first pull, open the choke and it smooths out and spins up in about 5 seconds and can plug in heaters immediately.

Apparently the steel bushing I turned and put in the high speed nut was the right combination. I am quite happy with the unit. Just hope the Marinetex I repaired the tank with holds up and so far it is holding up fine. I have what was left of the Marinetex (mixed in sardine can) and piece cut out and is now submerged in 87 octane in a glass jar and dated so I can keep a watch to see when/if it starts to deterriorate.

I still have the new carb in the box so assuming Murphy's Law is in effect since I have a replacement the orginal (fingers crossed) will never go down haha.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38:28 AM
Sponsor

some popular things for converting gravity feed fuel to other

5 gal. marine [outboard] fuel tanks.
fill em up, bring em home, connect em.
eliminating that pesky, possibly dangerous, fuel transfer

marine squeeze bulb pump for priming the system

crank case pressure driven fuel pump
easy addition for non gravity, where an electric pump is not practical
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28:52 AM
Registered-I

Yes I am familiar with them. I read on Craigs list of a guy who wanted to sell his and he said he had a new fuel tank as there was a recall on Powerbacks because of the tanks cracking. I am going to call them today and see if I can get one.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:36:43 AM
Registered-I

Well the latest in the long saga is the Powerback is doing great. I have left it with gas above the Marinetex repairs for months and no leaking.

I finally figured one of the 20 amp breakers was tripping at about 15 amps so I got a replacement 20 amp breaker.

I screwed up and put some ethenol gas in with the non ethenol and figured I would just top off tank and run it to see how long the tank lasts. It screwed up the mix and I had to put in Seafoam to get it going.

I have Wally World 30HD oil in it and I ran it three days ago for two hours and found the level on the dipstick had dropped 1/8". I put about 4 oz of 30HD in a flask and added a teaspoon of Sandstrom 532 Moly powder, mixed it and put it in and ran it another two hours and oil level stayed full.

I rigged up a dipstick and fuel level was 4" off bottom after the second 2 hour run with 3600 watts on it.

This morning I ran it another two hours and fuel level is now 3 1/4" off the bottom and the oil level is still full. Fuel level seems to avarage a 3/4" drop every two hours.

I figure it will take maybe three to four more two hour runs and the way things are going the tank should hold up about 13 hours of run with about 3550 watts.

And this is with the crappy ethenol gas ! ! ! ! After I determine how long it will go I will increase load to about 4800 watts and try it with straight non ethenol. I am also running Wally World TC-W3 in it.

I am getting double duty on it now as I have extension cords run to a big shop and a 1400 watt heat and 275 watt light in front of my lathe and it kept me comfortable while making a part this morning.

The other line runs to my outbuilding where I reload my ammo and it has a 1400 watt heater and a 500 watt light.

Voltage is 114 so that is good.

Had a power failure the other day so I hooked it up to house and everything was fine for an hour and I shut it down when power came back on.