Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 13779 times

Old 12-31-2014, 04:25:05 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: PowerBack 5250 watt Generator Question

I did not read all of this again and this may already be mentioned. I seen where you indicate that the 20 amp breakers are tripping and seem to be tripping at less than 20 amps and seem to be sensitive.

You will find that breakers rated 100 amps and less will normally trip at 80% load if subjected to a continuous load and even less if ambient temp is hot.
It's a normal thing for your 20A breakers to trip at 15-16 amps.
I also suggest to not load the gen to any more than 80% of it's rated capacity for continuous loads. (I usually use 70% as a safety factor so as to keep the MAJIC smoke inside the unit.
also I see where you mentioned that manual says to let it warm up for about 5 min before applying a load. If it has the non-adjustable jet type carb that will be normal and some of those engines if ran in very cold ambient air (like 25 degrees and less) the cold intake air needs to be controlled with something like a box over the unit with cooling holes for the gen. Some engines that were on snowblowers used a hot air plate by the carb that was warmed by the muffler. Cleaning the low speed jet ports with a torch tip cleaner will sometimes help the lean hunting issues. a lean carb will cause hunting and surging when the engine is cold and or the ambient air temp is cold.
also: read this article about the low emissions type carbs and note the picture of the low speed jet and the CLEANING bits pictured. Your engine should idle smooth if you manually hold the governor arm to idle. If it won't idle smooth you will also have high sopeed surging and hunting issues because the low emissions carb also uses the low speed jet for enrichment at high speed. The low speed jet on a low emissions carb can be removed easily and cleaned while the carb is still on the engine.

http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1128
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkie For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17:44 AM
Registered-I

I ran the rest of the old gas mixed with ethenol out and I now have it running with real gas. I have it putting out 110V but the digital multimeter says the cycles are jumping around and will bounce between 59 and 67 cycles with maybe two to four seconds between reading changes. At that setting the volts are running 109.5- 110.4 with a 4100 watt load. It has run that load 11 1/2 hours with no problem.

It calls for 5250 run and 6500 surge.

When I got the gen both breakers were good but all of a sudden with a known load the right one started popping after about ten minutes. I switched the loads and the other one did not trip. I try and load both banks equally.

As well on my Honda it used to load 2530 watts and run fine without lugging, now the breaker trips at like 1970 watts.

I have a cycle meter I need to get hooked up, a reed type NIB so I need to get it wired up.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:57:17 PM
Registered-I

Well Hurricane Joaquim has just gone through and we had high wind this morning and trees started going down and our volunteer fire dept got called for a couple down our way. While I was out with them wife called on cell and said power had gone off so I got back to house and got out the Powerback.

Put gas in it and it ran rough so I put some Seafoam in it and it smoothed out a bit so I decided to let it run.

Then it started running rougher. I unplugged the outlet line and pulled it around to the shop door to get out another gen and it quit.

It has run rough for several hours so I decided to check the oil level and it was 1/2 way down the hashmark area on dipstick. I add 30HD oil to it and topped it off. Absolutely nothing else, pulled the cord and it started right up and running much smoother.

What I am thinking here is the low oil switch was just as the run/don't run point. I never had the Honda 3500 go low on oil thusly was not familiar with low oil cut off signs. Anybody else have any experience with low oil switches?

Also looked where the gen is parked and floor is wet with oil so apparently I have a oil leak somewhere.

At any rate it has been running 90 minutes now just fine and a total of 4 1/2 hours and tank level looks like it has dropped about 1/3rd.

Running two fridges, freezer, computer, TV, kitchen (two four bulb) florescents. Turned on the microwave, lights dimmed so cut them off and finished microwaving coffee and cut them back on.

I forgot, also added some moly powder when I topped off the oil so we will see how that looks in a couple hours.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:09:57 PM
Subscriber

Low oil switches will not cause rough running. If the switch trips, it trips and kills the spark. They are either on or off. No in between. Especially the ones with the little module in between the switch and the kill wire. Rough running is likely carburetor related. If it was shut off for a little while to check and add oil, then started back up with no issues, I would be looking for trash in the carb bowl. Piece of gunk or debris clogged a jet or passage. The continuous vacuum of running kept the debris there. On shutdown the vacuum is gone and the debris falls to the bottom of the bowl where it eventually gets sucked up again. Causes much swearing and gnashing of teeth. Tecumseh carburetors have some very tiny passages in the jet that screws in the bottom of the bowl. Making them notorious for being finicky about any contamination.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArodaPowerCo For This Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 05:38:16 PM
Registered-I

That is what it sounded like, something clogging then falling away. It has now been running 4 1/2 hours and very smooth.

You are absolutely right about the tube through the bottom of the bowl being very small. I found it had a little plastic donut in it as a restrictor that was shot. I chucked a piece of stainless steel rod in lathe and turned the outside to just fit into the tube but pre drilled it with a hole that looked the same as what it had and dropped it into the tube, pulled the rope and it fired up and ran fine.

Prior to that I could not open choke the last two notches, since the stainless steel restrictor was made and installed it has run like a champ. Right now I could not ask for a smoother running unit.

I have about every light in the house on, 2 fridges, freezer, computer, TV, cell phone chargers, printer etc. I found when I hit the microwave to heat coffee lights dimmed so I cut off 8 40 watt bulbs in kitchen till coffee got hot and cut them back on.

Just got a call from Emer Op Ctr saying we are under flood/high winds for another 12 hours so guess I better go out, shut it down and drop that bowl in case power goes down again.

Thanks much for the info on the low oil switch.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quick update. Went out and shut it down and pulled the float bowl off it and found some small pieces of trash around the bottom so I wiped it out really good and put it back on.

I checked the in line fuel filter I installed after I got it running and there is some black pieces of ????? accumulated in the bottom that I assume came out of the black fuel tank???? No telling what was in the fuel lines when I started to work on it a while back.

At any rate it ran fine and I have it covered up in case the power goes down again tonight.

Again many thanks for the help. Now I am kind of hoping it goes out again just to see haha.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,422 Posts

Not sure what kind of fuel line you have, but I learned from some old time race car mechanics that rubber fuel line sheds rubber particles when it gets old. They would change the rubber lines on their race car every season, preemptively. "Not worth losing a race over $20 in rubber fuel hose" they said.

I had been having a terrible time with my dune buggy. Clean the carbs, it would run great, then suddenly crappy, then repeat lol. Had a filter up by the tank, so I was really scratching my head. Double checked float levels, suspected the fuel pump, etc. Then we added filters right up against the inlet of each carburetor, and the problem never returned.

Keith
Old 10-04-2015, 06:24:10 PM
Subscriber

Black particles in the filter are likely bits of rubber. Either from the inside of the fuel line, or from inside the tank from the fuel cap gasket. If it is the same thing as what was in your carb bowl (post filter) then likely the fuel line is starting to break down. Ethanol gas does that, as well as some of the "mechanic in a bottle" additives. Rubber breaks down over time anyway, and these things accelerate the process.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:43:21 PM
Registered-I

Yes the ethenol stuff is bad news all the way around. I was using it to clean out a old Onan Vacu Flo 2500 watt unit and thought I had run it out. I had a old Subaru fuel pump made in 77 (still new/unused))time frame and I put it on it powered by a power supply. It ran when I did maintenance runs for about a year, then about two months ago it just quit. I figure it was the pre ethenol design with aluminum parts therein.

I am going to tear it down for a looksee. I have a new K&N coming designed for everything and a 5 year warranty.

I have it mounted on a small utility trailer thinking I might use it at a cabin some time.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:27:43 PM
Subscriber

Instead of using an electric pump, use an impulse pump. Briggs part # 808656. On that Onan, there should be a mechanical fuel pump boss on the side of the block under the carb (LK or AJ both have it). Make a plate to fit and tap with 1/8" NPT. Screw a 1/4" hose barb into that and use it for your impulse source. That pump is all plastic and intended for use with ethanol gas. Very reliable and cheap too.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41:19 AM
Registered-I

Now that is nifty. Did not know such existed.

Gotta check that out.

Will get one on the way to town. Small engine guy who is good folks on the way.