Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Generator Oil Change Intervals 3600 RPM Gas

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 7184 times

Old 08-04-2014, 12:50:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,138 Times in 1,750 Posts
Default Re: Generator Oil Change Intervals 3600 RPM Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Where did you get the little magnets for the drain plugs?
Take about three weeks to arrive, but I've dealt with them for several years now and have received everything I ordered. The shipping delay is due to new airline regs requiring all air cargo coming out of China to be X-rayed. Since about last September, really has things backed up. What used to take ten days now takes three weeks to a month. They (dealextreme) take paypal, which is the only way I've dealt with them.

http://www.dx.com/p/5-x-5mm-cylindri...-30-pcs-248292

Might find equivalents on Amazon. Trick is to find some just smaller than plug thread. Picked up the trick in my VW days. But practice is now widespread enough they just magnetize the bolts on most new cars.

As to my Moly, don't know what type I have. As I said I'm working on the tail end of a big bottle I was given in about 1967. Somehow managed not to break the real glass bottle after all these years.

As it was explained to me, the molybdenum part forms an ionic bond to any steel parts and then the sulfer part shears like a graphite whenever you would get a metal to metal condition, such as lubricant breakdown on sleeve bearings. I attribute the extended life of my current nylon camshaft motor to reduced back pressure on gear teeth from lobes, reducing material fatigue on the nylon gear teeth.... or I just got a fluke lucky cam...
Doc
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16:16 AM
Registered-I

I learned of Moly when I attended a course at Rock Island Arsenal in 1985 called Corrosion Control and Prevention of Material Deterrioration and a full day was dedicated to educating us about it. The only place I know where inhibited is sold is Sandstram Inc Port Byron, Ill and the powder was referred to as 532. Many of the M16 rifle parts are coated with it to prevent corrosion. In that application it holds up better than chrome in a salt spray environment.

The first application the gov't used was the 9A and this requires heat curing at 300°F for I believe it is an hour. With everything else it has gotton much better over the years.

Now they have some stuff called 28A that is painted on and I have been running a test. Bush hog mowers have a tail wheel that takes a 1" diameter bolt as an axle. The original wore out first season and was greased prior to every use.

I got a new 1" Grade 8 bolt and turned new bushings for inside of tail wheel and used 27A on the bolt and bushings and absolutely no grease and I could mow with it for like 8 hours. I simply removed bolt, re- painted the surfaces where it was removed and the bushings and put bolt back in after they dried and this was done for four years. Then about 15 months back I got some 28A and now I can mow for 12 hours. The conditions here are bad for such application as the mower has a rear discharge and the axle/hub are constantly bombarded wtih blowing sand yet it keeps on going.

I was going to use 28A to coat the threads on my Onan generators prior to adding additional muffler but I don't know the temps the mufflers see and when I pull out the MEP017A for it's monthly run I am going to load it up and check muffler temp with infrared thermometer. Not sure of the data but was told gas engines heating catalytic converters don't go over 500°F.

http://www.sandstromproducts.com/pdfs/e728.pdf

I have noted the threads develop corrosion quickly and I want to be able to unscrew the 1 1/4" elbow I am going to put on it otherwise it will sieze for sure.

I was thinking if it is not too big of a job you could remove the camshaft and paint it with 28A but it would appear you have found the right combination now.

I do know for sure do not use graphite on ANYTHING. Back in 80s they removed it from about 98% of the gov't grease. As well some of the first moly grease did not utilize inhibited moly and there were bearing failures with it.

Should anyone want to know what is so bad about graphite I have typed up a excerpt page from the manual issued at Rock Island for the course. It is several pages long and an excellent read. If anyone would like a copy PM me a email address and I will send you a copy in Word. For the legal types it is from a gov't publication and they are considered public information and not subject to copyright law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer For This Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54:07 PM
Registered-I

To the person who just sent me a PM for the graphite article , I just sent it to you at 1352 hours.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:47:42 PM
Subscriber

Near as I can tell, this is the stuff I have. 89 bucks for 250g size. (The amount that has lasted me 40+ years). http:// http://www.fishersci.com/eco...h=0&hasPromo=0.
Doc

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servl...h=0&hasPromo=0
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
...Fist thing to do is to epoxy a good powerful (N42) magnet on your drain plug. ...
N42 starts to permanently lose strength at surprisingly low temperatures (176F). N42SH would be a better choice:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=167
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	202214  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54:27 AM
Registered-I

Started doing some research and apparently moly additive oils are already here.

Found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-204...iqui+moly+mos2

Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like a jug of it would set one up for two to three screamers.

I am thnking of this for the MEP017A I just adopted or rather should I say adopted me haha.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:22:39 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,193 Times in 4,004 Posts

Change oil at 25 hours for most air cooled engines. Check oil level EVERY fuel fill up and engine start! DO NOT USE ANY OIL MARKED 'ENERGY SAVING', or oil made for modern automotive use (read newer cars) Use either an oil made for small engines or a diesel rated oil like Rotella T (TM). Diesel oil is OK to run in gas engines, and has the high pressure lubricants these engines need (MDS). Automotive oil sold today is no good for small engines. Especially the Chinese junk and others that are using plastic cams and small high load componants (read small OHV engines), they need all the lube they can get. I have heard of Mobil 1 being used in small engines, but probably not as cost effective as a diesel rated oil, and synthetics will find any leakage points quickly! NOTE: When using a multigrade oil, a large bore single cylinder engine (5 HP & up) WILL burn a certain amount of oil, as the swept area of piston and cylinder expand with the engine function. Air cooled engines run at temps approaching 3 x the operating temps of a liquid cooled unit. It is important that the oil level be checked at every start, especially if the unit is heavily loaded.

Having been in the small engine service industry for over 50 years, I have found the following is a must: Clean air filter, clean FRESH fuel - not more than 30 days old, clean and full oil level, regular oil changes, and if at all possible, a clean working environment. All the above will lead to a longer service life of your unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Started doing some research and apparently moly additive oils are already here.

Slick 50 has been around for several decades. Problem is they add less than a quarter teaspoon. Probably fine for a long term treatment. But I start with a half to a heaping teaspoon when I do an engine treatment.

In ref to post about oil types for air cooled engines; Castrol has a long history in that application.
Doc
Old 08-05-2014, 09:27:28 PM
Registered-I

I was under the impression the slick in slick 50 is actually Teflon and not moly?

I was just reading their website day before yesterday and they said it had Teflon?

I wouldn't mind trying some of the German stuff.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47:13 PM
Subscriber

My mistake. After reading on their site I must concur. Guess I was thinking about some other treatment. But I did find other Moly treatments on Amazon that were much cheaper than $40.
Doc