Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Generator stopped when power cord unplugged

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 547 times

Old 10-15-2018, 03:05:03 PM
Registered-I

Default Generator stopped when power cord unplugged

Put a new carb on my Powerback 5250 and it was running like a champ with two 1500 watt heaters plugged into it. Have a extension for the 20 Amp 4 prong outlet with one outlet box for each leg. It had been running 24 minutes with new carb and smoothed out just fine.

I decided to check the cycles and got my multimeter and when I unplugged the 240 plug it cut off and won't hit a lick. Nothing smoked but it is not getting any power to ignition circuit??????

I have unplugged and plugged things into extension set up numerous times with no problem but I don't remember unplugging 240 20 amp plug.

What have I done?

Well just went out and pulled on it and it had no compression sounds so I removed plug and put finger over spark plug hole and NO COMPRESSION ! ! ! !

Evidently it took a notion to lose a valve at the very instant I unplugged it????

Anybody else got any other ideas.

The plug was nice and tan. Oil is still on full. There was no mechanical noise at all. Just like I had hit the kill switch ! ! ! !
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,745 Posts
Default Re: Generator stopped when power cord unplugged

Pull valve cover. Rotate engine. Watch both valves move. If both don't move you have stuck valve.
If engine runs but gen doesn't put out power pull generator end cover and check brush assembly. As a GREAT general service guide download this Briggs generator manual from my gdrive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IY9...w?usp=drivesdk (download arrow on top right.)
Doc
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21:34 PM
Subscriber

I Had That Happen Once. The Small Screw That Held The Choke Plate To The Shaft Unscrewed And Got Sucked In And Held The Intake Valve Open. Just A Thought.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Potoniec View Post
I Had That Happen Once. The Small Screw That Held The Choke Plate To The Shaft Unscrewed And Got Sucked In And Held The Intake Valve Open. Just A Thought.
Oh dear, you brought back a memory. The small screw fell out of the throttle plate on my 56 Chevy years ago. Nothing but full throttle. Drove 10 miles using the ignition switch as a bip switch.