Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Pithy Statements

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 939 times

Old 10-28-2018, 10:44:14 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Pithy Statements

As many of you know I work in the generator industry and it can be frustrating trying to steer customers toward a better product because there is always something $500 cheaper with the same specs on it.

I have a saying regarding used junk, "The wrong generator free will cost you more than the right one full price." Especially in the off grid world. That one really seems to wake them up.

What do you say to somebody who wants to go with a cheaper brand? I remember in another thread somebody said "just because it looks the same, it is not necessarily the same."

I need to boil that down to something that will grab them. Or maybe that is as close as we will get.

Sales is an interesting field, not something I am necessarily gifted in. I try to study and learn. Of course I am not a peddler. I only sell to people the way I would do it if their house was my house.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 11:01:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,189 Times in 1,622 Posts
Default Re: Pithy Statements

Birken, I agree 100% with your statement. I have done automotive and equipment "Hobby" mechanics for 50 years. I have many long time friends that I work on their cars and equipment.
My saying is: "Do it ONCE, Do it RIGHT and you don't have to do it again". Meaning, don't go cheap and have to re-visit the job sooner than the normal interval.
My biggest problem is finding quality replacement parts. If I do a timing belt replacement for someone, I insist on buying the OE aftermarket parts, replace ALL of the idlers, tensioners and the water pump. At that time I flush out the engine block, pull the thermostat and change it, pull the radiator and back flush the internals and the cooling fins as well as the AC condenser fins. Replace any belts and hoses that look marginal. Replace the coolant with long life coolant and usually do the spark plugs, wires and clean any sensors. the car/truck is now good for another 100,000 miles.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:17:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,151 Times in 453 Posts

I tell folks this: "If you want good oats you'll pay a good price. If you want the one's that have already been through the horse, well they're a little cheaper"
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,748 Posts

Can't help you.... as one who is totally content and satisfied with one of those "cheaper" models. Specifically the HF Predator 4000 (3200) which sells for about $290. Not that anybody here believes me when I report that I consistently get over 4000 hours of trouble free run time from a generator I only pay $300 for. I get excelent fuel efficiency. The only thing I do is add drain plug magnets and change oil every week. (~110 hours a week). Only problem I've encountered is choke lever fails about half way through 4000 hr life, Cure is a $20 replacement carb off Amazon. Only other thing I do is a one time MoS2 treatment on third oil change.

But the preconceived notion that HF only sells junk seems to much more persuasive than actual testimony of real experience.
Doc
Old 10-29-2018, 12:01:58 AM
Email NOT Working

You may know I cater to a lot of off grid.

If somebody wants to go to HF and pull a rope and schlepp a gas can for the rest of their days more power to them.

We cater to the market segment that just wants it to work automatically and burn something that is delivered by a truck.

As you know, in that market segment, there is good and there is not so good.

I also use that experience to inform people about the same models in standby service. If it will not last in prime service I don't want it for standby either.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,027 Posts

When someone brings a vehicle to my shop and tells me about all of the parts they've changed and it's still not working, I tell them "sounds like you can't afford to save any more money".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 05:26:11 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post

I need to boil that down to something that will grab them. Or maybe that is as close as we will get.
better yet show them

photos of the scrap yard generator pile,

real life or a video of something 50 yrs old happily producing rated power.

or the video of the generator "Death march"

their choice; a generator that will likely out live their children or one that may be toast tomorrow.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Last edited by armandh; 10-29-2018 at 05:47:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:45:21 AM
Registered

As granny used to say "Best is cheapest in the long run".

Part of the problem you're up against is the modern mindset that says "Buy it cheap, throw it away when it breaks and buy another with more features."

George
Old 10-29-2018, 06:50:53 AM
Subscriber

From Benjamin Franklin...
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
Old 10-29-2018, 07:22:54 AM
Registered-II

I have no problem with the man with the cheaper price, he better than anyone should know what his product is worth!