Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

PE-77-D Problem

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 361 times

Old 10-30-2018, 10:32:08 PM
Subscriber

Question PE-77-D Problem

I have a PE-77-D with following numbers on tag 4844-CJV and 3876 PHILA A44 with Briggs engine Model I type 06103 code 106745. My problem is that it won't start with the wires to the brushes connected. Will start and run fine with brushes in contact with armature but not wired in so is not mechanical drag. With the wires connected will not start even when turned with a drill. Starts with rope on second or third pull with wires disconnected. Can't see any visible problem or burnt wires etc. Any ideas? If any help all bars on armature have continuity to each other and wires going to brushes do NOT have continuity to case. This unit has all its tags and original paint is not bad so I'd like it to run and generate. If the generator part is junk let me know how to remove armature so I can get to the rest. There don't seem to be any threads on the inside of the armature to use to push it off the crankshaft like other generators I've worked on. Thanks to everyone for you help in advance. Ken
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 11:13:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,422 Posts
Default Re: PE-77-D Problem

Ken, I'm not familiar with the military model numbers. What type of generator is this? The Briggs would have a magneto, I presume. Sounds like something is miswired, or perhaps a control element (like an automatic shut down relay?) is malfunctioning. Have any pictures?
Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 11:29:37 PM
Subscriber

No pix, simple 110 v DC generator. Control area has outlet and a big capacitor, 600 of K think. Twist lock two prong outlet. Two poles in fields.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:01:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,422 Posts

I see, I think I've seen a video or two of these in my youtube travels. As far as I know there should be no electrical connection between the generator and the magneto. Is there a shut down lead to the magneto? Or just a metal ground to push against the spark plug? If the former, I would trace that out to ensure that it is not inadvertently connected to the generator wiring. Also, have you tried (carefully!) hooking up the wires while the engine is running? Just as an experiment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 09:33:19 AM
Subscriber

Mag ground is completely separate, push button on blower housing. Have not tried hooking up with running, could run remote leads to hook up, has nasty fan right by brush holders.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:49:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,009 Times in 661 Posts

These are neat little generators.. Have you tried just removing one end of the capacitor from the circuit? There could be some magnetic counterforce from loading causing it to spin slower.. make sure that capacitor isn't "leaky" (check for shorts or low resistance).

There's a PDF download link to the manual here
https://archive.org/details/TM11-903
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 07:35:28 PM
Subscriber

Gnucklehead,
You hit it. the capacitor was shorted, .1 ohm between terminals, no change when leads reversed. Open to case as it should be. Capacitor is in parralell to the outlet so in effect it was trying to start with a dead short load. I removed the capacitor, taped the leads and it starts easily and when the governor is adjusted to 2700 rpm per spec it produces 120 volt DC. I couldn't get the manual to completely download but it appears the only function of the capacitor is a backfeed at shut down to maintain correct polarity. For my purposes it will make no difference because I will just run a few bulbs to show that it works and bulbs don't care about polarity.

Thanks again for the help. Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post: