Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Need help with SDMO Yanmar powered generator

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 7277 times

Old 05-17-2008, 12:23:35 PM
Registered-I

Default Need help with SDMO Yanmar powered generator

I have a SDMO DX 6060 E generator powered by Yanmar L100AE diesel engine. Engine starts well when the speed control is put in the fastest position. At this high speed generator produces 115 volts. But slowly after the start the speed control very gradually moves from the fast position towards the stop position. Is this normal governor behaviour ?Obviously as this happpens the engine speed reduces and so does the output voltage. It stops at about 75% speed and this gives a continuous output of about 70 volts. I dont have anyway of measuring engine RPM or frequency of output so I am not sure exactly what to do now.
Any ideas would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2008, 01:49:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Need help with SDMO Yanmar powered generator

Is there some sort of lock that isn't holding? I don't know if I have ever seen a generator set with a throttle control except for those that are dual rated 50 hz/60 hz. The ones that I have seen that have the throttle control had a threaded (twist) control on the panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rankin For This Post:
Old 05-17-2008, 04:35:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,606 Times in 2,683 Posts

You can use a motor driven electric clock to check your frequency. Plug it in and if the set is at 60hz the clock will keep accurate time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27:32 PM
Registered-II

This picture is the governor on my L100-AE. The black triangle-ish knob is a friction lock. If you have that, just move it the whole way to fast, which should be 3600 RPM, and turn that knob clockwise to tighten it, that should keep it from loosening.

J.
The Following User Says Thank You to jas67 For This Post:
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16:48 AM
Registered-I

Thanks very much for your response. My governor is different. It has a friction controlled lever which is moved far right for run and far left for stopping the engine. Vibration seems to be slowly moving the speed lever to the left. How do you stop your engine ?
Do you know how I might measure engine rpm ?
Many thanks
Tony
Old 05-23-2008, 02:40:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

How about a bungee cord to hold it to the fast position? The easy way to set the speed is with a "kill o watt" unit that plugs into an outlet. These have a frequency and voltage meter on them I believe as well as a power meter.

The other way to do it is to use an old analog clock that doesn't use a quartz crystal reference for the speed. Plug it into the generator output and compare it's speed to an accurate clock and adjust the engine speed as needed.

The final way is to set up a synchronizing lamp connection between the generator and the grid power. This is a connection from line to line through two light bulbs so that if the maximum voltage is reached because the two sources are exactly out of phase, the 2 bulbs in series will still withstand it. When the bulbs stay on or stay out, your generator will be exactly in synchrony with the grid. It will probably be about right if you can just get them to flash only slowly. The neutral connection from machine to grid does NOT run through the lamp sockets, it is just a connection between the two sources.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rankin For This Post:
Old 05-25-2008, 12:47:31 PM
Registered-II

There must be a friction device not holding. It should stay at full rpm. If you set this where the unit is giving about 120V, the frequency should be about right. The voltage in these is very RPM dependant. In most of these units, the only voltage regulation is a capacitor under the top cover of the generator end.
Good Luck
Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Howard For This Post:
Old 05-26-2008, 07:12:49 AM
Registered-I

Many thanks to Jim, Brian, jas67 and Wayne for their help. All much appreciated.

There is a friction control, a spring which can be tightened by a screw with locknut but I have been reluctant to disturb it since the lever is quite stiff to move already. The engine mounts are competely shot so I will replace these and see what happens to the lever movement.

Thanks again guys. I owe you a beer !

Tony
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00:41 AM
Registered-II

Tony,
i did find an engine manual, but nothing on the gen yet. If you need pages copied, email me.

Brian
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43:56 PM
Registered-II

See if this helps

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanImage01.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	35558   Click image for larger version