Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Generator Parts and Frequently Asked Guestions

this thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 19542 times

Old 03-21-2010, 02:15:51 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Generator parts and frequently asked questions.

Isaac-1's post is very good to.
I think it should be added to.....(Sticky)
(THINGS TO DO AND THINGS NOT TO DO)
Before you run your genny!!!
And not to be morbid but I think the words kill dead and hurt should be in it.
Why? becouse it can happen!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2010, 03:25:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 913 Posts

It should be mentioned that in some areas the power company will subsidize or perhaps even install meter base transfer switches.

Ike

p.s. I have also heard of electrical companies only allowing certain brands of transfer switches for home use, usually the one they sell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 03:39:05 PM
Sponsor

why is it so confusing?
because no two are exactly alike and enforcement requires rules

our city installed a new "whole service" generator to replace the emergency panel service.

5 wire 208 3 phase

the large main panel including adjacent first sub panels had a single large buss bar for the bonding point. the main panel [mains] buss bars were hot off the meter CTs subs were after a disconect.

the new [tank under enclosed] gen was mounted outside with conduit to a wearher proof outside transfer system [easy service access] on the outside wall near the main/first sub pannels
a large fused disconnect on the mains buss was routed to the transfer system.
the output of the transfer was routed to the first subs buss.

all other disconects and the old emergency sub transfer feed were moved to the first sub [now post transfer buss] leaving the main buss feeding only the transfer.

this single point of bonding that included the mains disconect and the post transfer distribution, side by side would have driven the rule makers nuts.

but it was safe and a single point for all the neutral and earth connections.

there is no easy way to explain it for every case!
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24:36 PM
Subscriber

Armandh, I understand there are complicated situations (mine so far have not been exactly typical with things like CT meters, multiple building connections with no central disconnect, etc), I know the NEC is not an instruction manual, but would it kill them to include an example of a simple home transfer switch install given there is so much confusion with inspectors. Maybe even one for a whole home switch and one for a sub-panel type switch.

Ike

p.s. Should we mention anything about the new NEC 2008 702.5 requirement for the generator to be sized for the max load when an automatic transfer switch is used (example a 200 amp whole house automatic switch must be connect to a generator of at least 48KW). Personally I think this one is insane, but it is in the latest NEC.

Last edited by Isaac-1; 03-21-2010 at 06:47:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:16:15 PM
Registered-II

What is a (CT) Meter. Current transformer?
Want to make shure Im on the same page....TY
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28:03 PM
Subscriber

Yes, in this case the meter is mounted at the bottom of the pole the transformer is on and there is no convential meter base, instead the lines go from the transformer to weatherheads with disconnect switches or breaker panels on separate buildings and there is no central single entrance point.

Ike
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55:44 PM
Subscriber

Lightbulb Re: Generator parts and frequently asked questions.

Not a resident smart guy about generators (or anything else for that matter ) but might i humbly suggest that one section of the sticky be labeled as follows:

It would be better for you to have died a baby that to ever:

Here would be listed the various ways and means that a person might bring injury or worse upon himself or a lineman working in the area.

Just a suggestion.

Jhoward
The Following User Says Thank You to JHoward For This Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10:24 PM
Registered-II

I was also thinking about that bit about the line man that gave that guy a little taste of his own medicine...lol...With the big jumper cables.
I help out a friend of mine that is the head line man here with this type of things.
Sorry to say he does not know much if anything about generators and he thinks that becouse it has a engine on it that he knows what he is doing...Not true.
We had this guy that got a big $100,000 CAT yellow thing and he had a problem about putting in a transfer switch on it....So I made a call to my friend that works at the junk yard and found this guy a nice 1000 amp transfer 3 phase switch still in the box with mil-spec numbers on it and everything and we took it to this guy and told him to put it in.
Well he did not do it ....So.... We said we would put it in for him and he still had a problem with that.
So next time that he fired it up we got tired of his crap and instead of him putting 240 3 phase into the grid we gave him some 480 3 phase out of phase and turned his big yellow thing into a big black thing.
Then we went to his house pulled his meter and took his lines from the pole gave him some papers for when he needs to go have a talk with the judge and told him that if he had a problem with that we would bring 30 line men in to tell the judge how he almost cooked them. You know the rest. oh and I took the transfer switch back from him becouse he does not need it anymore.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07:29 AM
Sponsor

current transformers that drive electric meters are used above a few hundred amps. the current transformer cabinet is "sealed" as well as the meter base.

but there are aother uses.

we once put 2 home wound CTs on the feed to a tower lighting system,
rectified the output and fed it to one station of a remote metering system.
the remote metering was calibrated to read 100% when all the tower lights were on! one could even observe the blinking of the top one.

2 turns of 12 ga and 10 turns of 22 in a small "donut".
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41:59 AM
Registered-II

Do you need to use a shunt????