Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Coleman gas vs unleaded fuel

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 11921 times

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38:04 PM
Registered

Default Coleman gas vs unleaded fuel

I remember as a kid we always run unleaded(white) gas in our coleman lanterns. I was wondering one thing, since most of our gas in NY is going to become ethanol 10, can you use coleman gas in our small engines?
Its a pain to find a store that carries real gas, and soon what will we do? They may even switch to e15. I wonder the octane rating is high enough in coleman gas to power a small engine. Any one try this?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,555 Posts
Default Re: Coleman gas vs unleaded fuel

I have a Herc. that I run on Coleman fuel. Stuff's highern hell, though.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,742 Times in 1,691 Posts

Coleman has a octane of about 55.. It is very hydroscoptic, and will also clean out your fuel system.. Use with caution!! If you are talking small engines like B&S or Wisconsin I don't know, I am sure others do or have tried, so they will probably reply. I have run old hit & miss and throttlers and they ran very well.

Here is a web site with ethanol free gas.. ETHANOL FREE GAS

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the quick replies. I was concerned about the octane rating with coleman fuel.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47:50 AM
Registered

I run E10 in my hit and miss engines and don't have any problems. I always make sure I put some Stabile or Startron in the gas to help keep it fresh between shows and they start up and run fine.

I know a few guys that use the coleman fuel in their model engines and they run just fine.

I also know a couple guys that were running airplane fuel in their engines too. They lived near a small airport and could get a few gallons at a time.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08:47 AM
Registered

Coleman fuel does not have enough octane for today's engines. I ran some in my old Onan OFA 2 and you could hear it ping when it picks up a load.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook View Post
Coleman has a octane of about 55.. It is very hydroscoptic,
Coleman fuel is NOT hygroscopic. This is one of the advantages to using it.
Ethanol IS hygroscopic. That is, it absorbs or attracts moisture from the air, which is very bad for our engines when they sit in storage.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18:40 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I'll back Mike up about Coleman fuel (naphtha) NOT being hydroscopic.

I've left it in engine tanks for years without any water absorption. Now, it will evaporate over time but doesn't seem to leave any kind of residue (gum, etc)

I wouldn't use naphtha in any engine with over about a 5:1 compression ratio because of the low octane.

Otherwise, for our antique flywheel engines, models, etc. it is fine and the engines run with a sweet smelling exhuast, unlike the modern "blended" fuels.

What I'd REALLLLLLLLY like to find is a source of bulk naphtha at a reasonable price. If I could get it, I'd buy a barrel of it - a lifetime supply!

A couple of years ago, I surfed the web looking for bulk naphtha and did find a source that was about 20% the price of the "Coleman fuel" sold in WalMart. As I recall, at the time, they would fill a customer's container for about $2.50 a gallon. I thought that was a super deal until I found out that they had a minimum order of a semi tanker load!

What really gets my goat is that I've been told that naphtha, whose other name is "white gas" is a prime feedstock for modern gasoline. It's the main product that comes off the still/cracker and is blended with octane and EPA crap. In other words, there is an ocean of it out there but you can't get ahold of it except in gallon cans at high prices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the quick replies, much appriciated
Old 11-17-2013, 07:07:04 PM
Polyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook View Post
Coleman has a octane of about 55.. It is very hydroscoptic, and will also clean out your fuel system.. Use with caution!! If you are talking small engines like B&S or Wisconsin I don't know, I am sure others do or have tried, so they will probably reply. I have run old hit & miss and throttlers and they ran very well.

Here is a web site with ethanol free gas.. ETHANOL FREE GAS

Don't use coleman fuel in anything with compression over about 6:1. It will knock. I have a pretty extensive coleman collection, but I also do antique camera repair. I wash many of the parts in coleman fuel and it does an excellent job! Of course at the end have some dirty but not horribly dirty fuel to get rid of. I won't run it in my lanterns but it's just fine for the lawn mower! Or was... I had been using a brigs powered sears thing built in the 60's but it finally snapped it's rod so I got a brand new honda over head valve powered mower. HIgher compression... the coleman fuel made it knock horribly. oh well.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:08:40 PM

Thanked 6,810 Times in 4,327 Posts
Exclamation Re: Coleman gas vs unleaded fuel

Colemans is not gasoline. DO NOT use gasoline in colemans lanterns, unless it is rated for it. older lanterns were dual fuel - you could use gas or colemans fuel. i would not recommend gasoline for the stoves either. Different vaporization characteristics, flamability and operation temps for either fuel. If the tank says gasolene, OK, if not, don't use it.

As for using Colemans in engines, low octane, hotter running temps, and a propensity to knock under load is noted. Another drawback, if Colemans gets into the cylinder during coast down on shut-off, it will wash off cylinder oil, and can cause rust in the cylinder and head, especially if the valves are open when the engine stops. You won't have to worry about the crap E-10 rusting out your tank, or eating your fuel system though!
Andrew
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36:36 PM
Registered

Gasoline was low octane when they were making hit&Miss engines. So, Coleman works well on OLD engines. As other people stated not good for newer engines.

It would be great if we as a group could buy one load of bulk like Eldon mentioned. Folks would be set for a long time.

But it would be REALLY nice if I had an engine-had to sell mine to help pay for our daughter's college.