Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Never before seen- Russell Engine in Oregon

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2211 times

Old 01-02-2008, 01:17:26 AM
Registered

Default Never before seen- Russell Engine in Oregon

I don't know how many copies of these pictures exist, and I've never put them online until today.

Here are my only pictures of my family's Russell tractor, taken in the mid-teens near Hillsboro, Oregon. The guy running the engine in the first picture is my great grandfather. In the second picture you can see my great-great-grandfather who died in 1919 standing at the back of the engine. Out front near the belt(!) is a girl that was born in 1909. (and died an old lady in 1989, almost 20 years ago!)

My grandfather who is now 78 did not know much about these pictures-- he didn't even know the engine was a Russell. Anyway, you guys seem to know an awful lot, so I was wondering if anyone knew what size it was. Or is, if it's still around.

On that note, bonus points will be awarded to anyone who can tell me where this engine might be today. It was sold in the late 20's to the family across the road, the Flints, to generate steam for their greenhouse. I'm pretty sure it survived the scrap drives of WWII because it was doing this job. I would love to be able to see this engine now, or better yet, take my grandfather to see it.

Ben Hesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	russell4.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	27752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Russell5.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	27753  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,981 Times in 1,749 Posts
Default Re: Never before seen- Russell Engine in Oregon

Ben: I don't have any information for you , but I like that spark arrestor on the stack . Something I haven't see very often. THANKS for sharing the photos
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,434 Posts
Smile Re: Never before seen- Russell Engine in Oregon

Ben,
Am not a Russell expert by any means, but looks to me like one of the smaller sizes, and the angled cleats on the back to me would indicate a little older engine. Older 12 HP maybe?

Thanks for posting the pics. Too many times we've got old pictures of engines with nameless faces....it's really neat to see one like this with some identification, even neater for you that's it's family history!

Mike
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50:21 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts
Default Re: Never before seen- Russell Engine in Oregon

Hi Ben,

Great Pictures! By any chance might you have one showing the cylinder(s)?

Frank Johnson (owner of 22 hp Keck #1831, 8 hp Russell Portable, 16 Russell, 25 Russell & 30 Russell) called me tonight to say that he believes it to be a 10 hp built between 1898 & 1910. He bases this on the flat topped dome, the straight cleats, the hubcaps, and the low boiler.

A lot of Russells were sold in your area. Any chance you can find the serial number or any other data on it? There is a Russell club that might help.

Check out the House of Russell thread for his 16 Russell. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38281

Thanks
Beth