Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Fordson Head Part Number and Axle Casting Numbers

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 656 times

Old 05-18-2017, 08:18:55 PM
Registered-I

Default Fordson Head Part Number and Axle Casting Numbers

I had a sidebar with Steve, but didn't see a way to send photos via private message. Hopefully others will find this to be useful or, in the unlikely event Steve doesn't know, can provide some insight.

My head casting says F133BR. Is this a normal high compression head that I've seen referred to as a 133B, or does the added R mean something different? My SN is 507568, which would put it at mid-1925, but I read somewhere that the 133 head came out in 1926. It's possible the head was changed or there was a transition period during some portion of 1925.

My front axle has raised letters and numbers ending in 6B-2-26. It happens to be upside down, so I'm assuming the front axle beam must be reversible and flippable. Does the 2-26 mean the axle was made in 1926 or does it just happen to look like a date? I guess it's also possible my axle was replaced. A third theory is that it's a '26 with a '25 block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	282443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	282444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	282445  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22:23 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,886 Times in 951 Posts
Default Re: Fordson Head Part Number and Axle Casting Numbers

Nik You have to remember that these tractors are about 85 years old and during that time everything could have been changed multiple times in order to keep it working. Steve Welker is the only guy who can shad any light on your serial number or part number questions. The only numbers I have ever paid any attention to is the serial no. on the block. I just did 5 engines and never knew there was an actual number on the heads. With just a few exceptions everything on Fordson's are interchangeable through most years. You could have 5 Fordson's and find few parts in common on each tractor. I'm sure Steve will chime in and give you some real answers to your questions. Ed B
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:32:48 PM
Registered-I

Nik,
The 133B head is the High Compression flush plug head used starting in 1926. The R stands for what I believe is 'Replacement'. If you look in the later Fordson parts books under what is called the Factory Number, some numbers will have an R on the end. These parts with the R are not current production parts, and would only fit earlier model tractors. These parts were still being made because the only way the current production part would work, is if other parts were changed on the tractor.

Take this head for example. In the 1926 book they list Factory Numbers of F133A and F133B (low and high compression respectively). At that point the head would have worked on all previously produced Fordsons. They are a direct fit in exchange for the sunken plug earlier heads (number F133). In the 1931 book these factory numbers now have an R added to the end, because the current production heads (F133E and F133F) that are made for the water pump on the Irish Fordson would not direct replace the earlier heads without changing other parts. This Replacement Head cost $17.00 in 1931. To use the current style 1931 head which would physically bolt right to the 1925 block, you would have to change the Water neck, Radiator top tank, Radiator Sides, and Crank Pulley, along with adding the water pump. This would have cost a total of $52.85 and took a lot more time to replace! No Farmer wants to hear that!

So going from what info I see in the parts books, that head you have would have been produced sometime after production ceased in the USA. Could have been well up into the 1940's That is why it has the 'R' in the part number and is not the earlier sunken plug design that would have most likely been on your 1925 from new.

As for the axle, that one beats me?? I've never seen a number like that on an axle. It could be a date, or batch number, or who knows?? What intrigues me even more is the F1582, which is the Factory Number. However only the VERY early parts books (late 1917, early 1918) list the Front axle as F1582. By Late 1918 this number is listed as F2272. I believe this number change corresponds to the Early axles being thicker, and later ones thinner. This may be an early axle and the 2-26 is actually Feb 26th of 1918. A lot of parts on early tractors have dates. How thick is the axle, front to back? And yes, Front axles can be flipped upside down, kingpin holes are straight vertical.

-Steve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve Welker For This Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 03:08:19 PM
Registered-I

1.27 inches front to back. I have a buddy with the same writing on a 26 or 27 I believe.

Thanks for info! BTW, is there anything special that should be stuffed in above the screen in the engine oil fill cap? Mine had a sort of fiber wad that was very dirty. I had some fine bronze wool that I used because I figured if it got into the engine somehow it would be better than steel wool. I think I have an accessory fill neck so the cap may be different than standard, too.

Should something be stuffed above the screen on the trans or clutch housing breather, too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	282483   Click image for larger version

Name:	F.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	282484  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18:53 PM
Registered-I

Another thing I just thought of that might work is the polyfill stuffing stuff my wife uses for pillows.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:59:35 PM
Registered-I

Another question- my old red canvas fan belt is letting go the more I run it. Any suggestions on a replacement? Were they leather or woven? I'd prefer endless.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:59:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,967 Times in 644 Posts

I have to splice all mine, but i did end up with some red belting. I use red and black colors both, depends on the mood.