Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Fordson F List of Changes

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 546 times

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13:25 AM
Registered

Default Fordson F List of Changes

Somewhere I came across a general list of F changes through production and when they occurred, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I don't even know if it was a book or on the internet. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure they used up parts with overlap, etc., but it provided at least some guidance. Specifically, this time I'm trying to determine when they went to the higher front wheel rib. Early factory photos and illustrations actually show a gap between the halves with the ends of the spokes showing. By the end, the rib was quite tall and came to a tapered point. This was one of the changes listed in the list I can't find, and I'd like to know when it happened. From looking at the Fordson Photo Archive book, the tall rib was at least as early as 1925.

The list had other things like when the coil box changed, when fenders became an option, when the worm changed, etc. It probably wasn't perfect, but it was a starting point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,833 Times in 939 Posts
Default Re: Fordson F List of Changes

Steve Welker has all that information and is working on a book about them. He has been studying these for 30 years. He has posted several of these in various threads over the years. Maby he will chime in with more info. EdB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:34:16 PM
Registered

I'm wondering if it was perhaps Page 29 of the Big Book of Ford Tractors or Page 22 of The Field Guide to Ford Tractors. The latter says that "high-bead front wheels" came out in 1926. Page 88 of Fordson 1917-1928 Photo Archive shows a 1925 with what I would have thought would be "high-bead" front wheels.

Another question on my mind is when the toolbox fenders changed. This seems like a simple question, but I can't figure out whether the pointed tails came out in 1927 or 1926.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:36:19 AM
Registered

Oh, and by the way, yes please to the book! The hard thing about a book is that it locks the knowledge in time. What I mean by this is that, since this is such a gray area and not well documented, it changes a lot. For example, one new factory photograph that reveals xyz existed in 19xx can re-write a lifetime of research. It sure would be a help, though. Steve would probably save more time by writing a book than by answering all my questions on here. I don't post a lot, but I sure comb through the archives to see what you, Steve, Butch, etc. said about this, that, and the other.

Steve recently posted that they started putting both hole patterns in the rear wheels in 1926. I've seen a lot of 1925's with these hole patterns, but I can't find any factory photographs, just later photographs that may show replacement wheels. So, I guess I'll stick with what Steve says. I found a 1926 with really nice wheels and grousers plus really nice fronts and thought about putting the wheel set on my 1925, but I don't want to use wrong-year parts.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 491 Posts

I would sure buy a book like that.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31:11 PM
Registered-I

Nik,
Ed is correct, I have been working on a book of all the changes thru the model F years. This is a big project as there are many changes, and I want to be as accurate as possible. You are also entirely correct, that this will only be correct for this point in time, then some new concrete info will come out and prove me wrong. My dates of changes come from studying original dated photos, original service bulletins, and parts manuals. I do not fully trust modern written books or looking at restored tractors that had 80+ years to be changed. 1000's of hours invested already, and I don't quite feel comfortable fully releasing what I have, as I find new things all the time. My plan is to dedicate a chapter to each part that changed, showing pictures of the different parts, and offering my engineering opinion on why it was changed. Some reasons are pretty simple, others are a 'who-knows' type thing. Also I tend to not give a specific change point, just early, mid, or late year as Ford did not do model year changes, but instead constant running changes. Add to this the way blocks of serial numbers were asigned to different assembly plants, and it gets confusing when a lower serial number was sometimes rolled off the assembly line at a much later date. So in the end when I finish this book, it will be a good general guide line to what features came first, second, third, and approx. when the change was made.

To answer some specific questions,
Rear wheels drilled with both patterns came in early 1926, maybe very late 25. Have not seen a dated 25 picture with them, or 25 parts book with them.

Front wheels with high rib and rolled edges came in late 1924

Coil box changed from rainbow box to new style in late 1923

Fenders offered as option in early 1923

Tapered tool box fenders in early 1927

Worm changed to 3 start in mid 1920, got deeper splines on worm in 1923

Just to give you an idea of the scope of this book project. I've identified 41 visible external parts that changed thru production. That's 41 chapters right there, before I get into internal parts. Compound that with all the variations like 8 different dashes, 9 different main fuel tanks, 7 different radiator top tanks, even 7 different engine blocks, and so on! This gets to be a lot of work quick. I have the variations identified in text, many pictures gathered, now need to compile and start writing! Please be patient, until then I can answer questions on great forums like this.
-Steve
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve Welker For This Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:41:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 491 Posts

I know i can say that i understand how much work it is to compile such information and how hard it is to find it at my desk when somebody calls with a question.
I can sure respect the effort, even if incomplete it is much appreciated. Always reminds me of Wendel's efforts, while some errors are evident now his books were GREATLY appreciated and still remain to this day as a first stop reference for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:43:52 PM
Registered

Steve, thank you. I know it's a big effort. It will be very much valued. Until then, thank you very much. I also enjoy reading your posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:31:35 PM
Registered-I

A book is definitely a LOT of work - I wrote one myself recently (about the growth of the utility industry in ND), and I did have to go in and rewrite parts several times as I dug up new information - and the book STILL is not as finished as I'd like it to be. I was only able to determine that some towns had electricity as of a certain year, but no effort had been expended by various bygone historians to document when, and by whom, some light plants were installed.
In the end, it was a matter of drawing a line somewhere and at least getting what information I had into print. I know another person who wrote a book on large multi-part porcelain insulators; his first edition was just over 100 pages, but he later went back and redid it with a lot more added information, bringing the 2nd edition to almost 400 pages.
The Following User Says Thank You to NDmeterman For This Post: