Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Remy Tractor System

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 654 times

Old 10-06-2017, 10:37:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,670 Times in 732 Posts
Default Remy Tractor System

Been doing some reading and digging on the Remy governor-generator system they used on the Moline. In doing so, I got to wondering if it was ever used officially on anything else? Remy moved its tractor division to Chicago in early 1918 and in mid 1918 the Moline Model D hit the market. Remy's advertising though did not center on the moline. Instead Remy was advertising its system for any model tractor with ads and displays at events. Articles from Remy talked about the general tractor market. A booklet was put out, "the Story of the Electric Governor". has anyone got a copy of it? They were also advertising in car magazines using the same ads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remy 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	293018   Click image for larger version

Name:	remy3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	293019   Click image for larger version

Name:	remy4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	293020   Click image for larger version

Name:	remy5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	293021  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Remy tractor system

Thanks for posting that, I had no idea that there were electric governors that early. Did any survive?
The Following User Says Thank You to RobW For This Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 12:36:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,290 Times in 2,014 Posts

Paul; Thanks for Remy Info. I couldn't read the fine print.

I was searching Boring and came across this unrelated article which will not be forwarded. It was a big auction.
Tue Wed Thur 27, 28 & 29 May Around 1920 Universal Tractor plant to be auctioned. I didn't save the year.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41:12 AM
Registered-II

The later GMC Samson sieve grip tractors used the electric throttle as well. The advertisement looks to be showing a Huber Super or Light four. I don't recall ever seeing one of those with the electric throttle
Old 10-07-2017, 03:19:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,670 Times in 732 Posts
Default Re: Remy Tractor System

I had totally forgotten that some of the Sieve Grips used it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, examples of this system still survive. Most Moline Universal Model D's have it installed, the magneto version was an option in the US and was standard on the export models making ti fairly rare compared to the Remy equipped models. Theres a fair few of them around. The samsons are much rarer. I took this video last weekend of our Moline, at various points you can see dad adjust the speed on the rheostat and hear the throttle.

I am working on a writeup on the system, its fairly complex, but here is one of the descriptions for it, by far the shortest I found (Ed, I'll send you a pdf of some of the longer versions when I can get em pulled out of the bigger files they are in):

The electric system is what is known as the Remy governor-generator, this being designed to control the engine to any speed for which it may be set with 10 different positions for the switch. The generator is a four-pole, shuntówound type consisting essentially of an armature and a rocking field frame that is movable through an arc of 30 degrees. The generator is driven from the timing gearset and the field frame is coupled to a piston in an oil filled dashpot cylinder, in which is a spring that resists the tendency of the field frame to turn in the direction of armature rotation. Too rapid movement of the field frame is prevented by the oil in the cylinder. This dash pot cylinder is the governor, and the spring action against the turning of the frame is limited by the oil. The frame is linked to the carburetor throttle, which is varied in position by the movement of the frame, dependent upon the speed of the armature, which is turned at one and a half crank shaft speed. The generator is designed so that the housing encloses the generator, governor, transformer coil, ignition distributor gears and the wiring connections. The distributor head is driven by the armature shaft. The current is charged into the battery and thence drawn through the coil and the distributor, being broken by a circuit breaker. The control box provides for different speeds for the engine, from 400 to 1800 revolutions, and it has one switch that controls the ignition and the use of the lights. either while moving or standing. The starting system consists of a motor, a pinion on the armature shaft engaging with an external gear on the rim of the flywheel. the means of making engagement of the pinion and gear being the well known Bendix device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remy7.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	293052   Click image for larger version

Name:	remy8.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	293053   Click image for larger version

Name:	remy9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	293054  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 05:09:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,290 Times in 2,014 Posts
Default Re: Remy Tractor System

Paul;
Thanks much for the information on the Remy System. I enjoyed seeing it operate on Sunday at the show and I liked the light shining down on the plants being cultivated. As I assumed, Remy uses the reaction torque on the generator stator or field. In my career I used this method many, many times, over and over again as the method of determining speed vs torque characteristics of motors. For load, various methods can be used such as a prony brake, various electric or electromagnetic generator loads as Remy does or eddy current and magnetic hysteresis devices or fluid viscous devices. The load produces the reaction torque read by a dynamometer scale of some sort. For the use as a governor, the load should increase with speed working against a spring with dashpot dampening. This does the same thing as a centrifugal governor with less moving parts and greater simplicity and easier remote adjustability.
I've heard and read so many negative comments on the Remy Governor System, most which made no sense to me. I believe that the problem is that most mechanics and restorers, even if highly qualified mechanics and machinists, have little knowledge of electricity and especially of electromagnetics. I rode with a friend hauling a tractor like yours needing restoration to trade for a Hart Parr. The electric governor was his big objection and reason for the trade. The Universal like yours is both more interesting and more unusual than a common Hart Parr which he traded for.

The Universal Tractor Plant Auction I mentioned in post 3 was in Rock Island. I'll try to get the year at the library.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post: