Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

What is this mystery winch thing?

this thread has 57 replies and has been viewed 6865 times

Old 10-15-2017, 01:55:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: What is this mystery winch thing?

There is an assumption that is all from the same piece of equipment. If it is a scrap pile it could be from multiple pieces.

---------- Post added at 11:55:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31:16 AM ----------

A hay sweep most likely would not have a 4 ft ground drive wheel.That would be kinda too much for the horses. Kinda overkill for moving hay, maybe earth. Maybe some kind of elevating scraper or earth moving equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to GSStomp For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 11:27:39 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSStomp View Post
There is an assumption that is all from the same piece of equipment. If it is a scrap pile it could be from multiple pieces.

---------- Post added at 11:55:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31:16 AM ----------

A hay sweep most likely would not have a 4 ft ground drive wheel.That would be kinda too much for the horses. Kinda overkill for moving hay, maybe earth. Maybe some kind of elevating scraper or earth moving equipment.
No, we do not know for sure this is all from the same piece. It was not in a scrap pile though, per say. It was just this stuff piled together, not with other scrap. In fact there was no other scrap on the farm, which led me to think this MAY have all been from one piece of machinery, but anything is possible.

I too am not 100% convinced it is a hay stacker, because of the heaviness of the piece. In real life this stuff is even heaver than it looks in pics. To put it in perspective, the steer wheel was about all I could do to get it in the back of the truck by myself. It's HEAVY.

Some type of earth moving equipment, or elevating scraper is plausible to me though

And like I said before, even if it is multiple pieces of equipment, that just means multiple mysteries, as this had to come from something originally

As far as tracking down previous family members with history of this farm, that is probably a long shot. The current owners have had this place since at least the 80's, so any of the original farmers that may have known what this came from may well be gone? But I can check into it when I get a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,747 Times in 771 Posts

[QUOTE=Jacob WI;

I too am not 100% convinced it is a hay stacker, because of the heaviness of the piece. In real life this stuff is even heaver than it looks in pics. To put it in perspective, the steer wheel was about all I could do to get it in the back of the truck by myself. It's HEAVY.
If this happens to be from a stacker that is larger than the Jay Hawk in the video, possibly a 4 horse model, a bit of counter weight in the tail end would be most welcome. One wonders what would happen if the operator stepped of the machine in the video when the basket is about 1/2 way up. Compared to the weight of say a loaded manure spreader, or a grain tank load of wheat, or a dump wagon load of clay. This machine would not be too heavy for the job with a good team or 4 horses
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:21:58 PM
Subscriber

The mystery continues. I did finally get myself a copy of Wendel's Encyclopedia of American Farm Tractors, as I didn't have this in my collection yet. I went through this entire book cover to cover looking for something with any similarities to my mystery machine. No dice. There is a LOT of cool and obscure tractors in there though. I'll have to get the American Farm Implements and Antiques next I guess. One can always use more good reference materials right?

So I'm back leaning towards the fact that it is not a tractor of any sort, but rather something else.

This doesn't help any to the mystery, but I am still thinking about it in the back of my mind. Let it percolate long enough and something may come up. I'll walk by it every day in my back yard, at least until spring now....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 07:44:10 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,124 Posts

Might make a nice piece of "yard art", Jacob.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:43:49 PM
Registered-III

Part of a coal elevator used for unloading train cars?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:33:22 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilpullman View Post
Part of a coal elevator used for unloading train cars?
There were some early lignite mines in northwestern ND so that sounds like a very reasonable guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to NDmeterman For This Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 02:27:07 PM
Subscriber

A bump for a possible fresh set of eyes or new idea. I haven't had any luck getting anywhere with the previous ideas and suggestions. But to be honest I kinda walked away from this for a bit because I was getting no where and was a bit frustrated.
Plus it's been a bit slow around here lately, thought I'd stir up some conversation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post: