Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Those Big Oil Pulls?

this thread has 335 replies and has been viewed 91016 times

Old 01-14-2007, 11:59:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 25,177 Times in 6,225 Posts
Default Those Big Oil Pulls?

Greetings!
It is a crappy Sunday morning with freezing rain so I am sitting here contemplating the meaning of existence, and how they get the creamy chocolate inside the hard shelled candies, and also about the early days of Oil Pull tractors?
The famous Kerosene Annie was a featured drawing card at the late Mr. Cooke's fine museum in Billings. Now, between this tractor and the Model Bs, was there a production run of tractors in the style of Annie? I am looking through a study done by Mr. Kenneth W Tingley for the Reynolds-Alberta Museum on the gasoline tractor in Western Canada and he mentions a run of 100 tractors before October 31, 1910, suggesting this led to the production run of the Model Bs? Can anyone shed some light on this?
In the meantime, here is a picture of a Model F single that is owned by Charlie at Ontario. This was taken at the Blyth show this past September. Charlie got this tractor a couple of years back from Mr. Tysse in Crosby, ND and it is a fine running outfit. Charlie is Oil Pull through and through and grew up with them. He likely has 30 or more and also has a dandy Model E - it rolled off a trailer and was wrecked 4-5 years ago on its way to a show. He has since put it back together and it should be out and about this year. Charlie is steering the F and not sure who the other gent is?
Thanks and all the best,
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	15536  

Last edited by G Willikers; 01-14-2007 at 02:38:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2007, 12:13:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

To carry on with this thread, Mr. Tingley writes that Rumely marketed it lines into Western Canada before 1908 through the main branch house in Grand Forks, ND. But by the time they started pushing their Oil Pulls, they had set up houses in Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary.
Tingley describes a major promotion in 1912. He quotes from Canadian Farm Implements magazine, "A tractor special train arrived in Winnipeg during the second week in May. From the end of the engine tender to the couplings of the last freight car this mammoth shipment was more than a mile and a half in length, being in two sections. There can be little doubt that this train is the largest shipment of farm machinery ever made in the history of the world."!!!!
He states that the train carried $500,000 worth of Type E, Type B, Type F tractors. 100 cars with 101 Oil Pulls, 139 kerosene tanks for wagons,81 threshers. Dispatchd directly from La Porte, IN, it was pulled by 4 Mallet type locos and had a special coach for Dr. Edward Rumely and included a band that played at every stop!
Now that sounds neat!
G.

Last edited by G Willikers; 01-14-2007 at 12:15:13 PM. Reason: clean up the mess I made the first time!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:27:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,170 Times in 125 Posts

The first 100 Rumelys that you are talking about were model B tractors. The first 10 of that 100 had high top radiators and they had exaust pipes going under the engine instead of above. The remaining 90 were early tractors with high top radiators and exaust pipes mounted above the engine. All of these tractors produced had the early side mounted belt drive oiler. That is about all I can think of off the top of my head about the first 100 production tractors. As for Kerosene Annie I have heard that there were numerous changes made by rumely while designing their tractor.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:27:36 PM
Sponsor

G
I went out to fire up the time machine so we could go for a ride and see that, but it's cold here today and the damned thing won't start, so will have to make it another day!!!
Boy would that have been something to see.
Oh by the way it is a bright sunny day here.
Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 02:09:19 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hudson View Post
The first 100 Rumelys that you are talking about were model B tractors. The first 10 of that 100 had high top radiators and they had exaust pipes going under the engine instead of above. The remaining 90 were early tractors with high top radiators and exaust pipes mounted above the engine. All of these tractors produced had the early side mounted belt drive oiler. That is about all I can think of off the top of my head about the first 100 production tractors. As for Kerosene Annie I have heard that there were numerous changes made by rumely while designing their tractor.
Chris,
Thanks for the above information, that clears things up a lot. As far as Annie, is she still in Billings?
And here is one for Ross? I have this picture, unmarked from the 60s or 70s. I am thinking it is the late Norm Schell's ol' E that used to come to Milton. Norm was from Woodstock, ON and had plenty of Oil Pulls. He sold the E before he passed and I believe it went out to Iowa? Not sure where he got it, but could have been from out that way to begin with?
I guess there were not too many of these big ones in Ontario in the old days? Alex Edgar told me that the county near him had had an E but ended up cutting it apart and used the motor for years on a rock crusher or some such rig. Alex's E came from North Dakota. Calhoun's F was a fixture at shows for years and eventually went to NY or PA - again, not sure if a local tractor to begin with? There is a B in the area now, having come down from Alberta, but it needs lots of work.
Take care guys,
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	norm.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	15546  
Old 01-14-2007, 02:16:26 PM
Subscriber

These pictures were sent to me by Mr. Gerald Parker of Hudson Bay, SK. They are from the show at Makoti, ND just this past fall and show a real nice pair of sweet hearts. Beyond that, I have no other info. I am sure someone from over that way will have something to add? That is a show I always wanted to attend but just never had the chance - fairly well on in the fall and sometimes they get a bit of snow!
G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mak1.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	15547   Click image for larger version

Name:	mak2.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	15549  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:34:01 PM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

G.: Did Calhoun's F not come by way of Earl Davison [sic]. He was also a fixture of Steam-Era at the time, and I seem to recall when that F showed up at the show very much in it's working clothes.

Robert
Old 01-14-2007, 08:06:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,170 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Chris,
Thanks for the above information, that clears things up a lot. As far as Annie, is she still in Billings?
And here is one for Ross? I have this picture, unmarked from the 60s or 70s. I am thinking it is the late Norm Schell's ol' E that used to come to Milton. Norm was from Woodstock, ON and had plenty of Oil Pulls. He sold the E before he passed and I believe it went out to Iowa? Not sure where he got it, but could have been from out that way to begin with?
I guess there were not too many of these big ones in Ontario in the old days? Alex Edgar told me that the county near him had had an E but ended up cutting it apart and used the motor for years on a rock crusher or some such rig. Alex's E came from North Dakota. Calhoun's F was a fixture at shows for years and eventually went to NY or PA - again, not sure if a local tractor to begin with? There is a B in the area now, having come down from Alberta, but it needs lots of work.
Take care guys,
G.
I do believe that Kersosene Annie may be in Billings yet but I am not sure. The guy that bought the stuff moved a few things but as far as I know everything that he bought is still sitting in Billings Mt.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:23:44 PM
Registered-II

Speaking of falling off the trailer -- I shot these at the Door Prairie Auto Museum south of Laporte, Indiana on Labor Day Weekend 1999.

I didn't see this happen, but I heard it. They hauled in three Oil Pulls on a trailer, with the smallest one up on top of the gooseneck, and something slipped when they were unloading. I'd have more photos, but the owner expressed his disapproval of my taking pictures.

Amazingly, no one got hurt.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:55:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,205 Times in 1,048 Posts

Thats enough to make a man cry. Hope no one got hurt. That had to bust up some of the castings along with other stuff. I watched a guy loading a tractor on a trailer once with chain steering (cant remember the tractor ) but that was half scary watching that front axle slop around like they do with that steering setup. Going up those ramps

Last edited by Tanner Remillard; 01-14-2007 at 09:01:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:31:18 PM
Sponsor

Hi G

Yes that is Schell's E. I think it is the first E I ever saw and heard run. It began a life long facination with them. I used to bug Norm about not bringing it out, then Alex got his and I would bug Lyle when his dad would get it going, but more on that later. Yes it went to Iowa and I saw it this year at Mt. Pleasant. It has not changed much. Dad & I had talked about approaching Norm to see if he would sell it, but we snoozed & we lost!!!
Not sure where Norm got it originally.

Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33:19 PM
Sponsor

Robert

I think you are right about the F. I think Earl Davidson sold it to Gord Smith originally. I remember it showing up in Sherwood's yard a week or two before the show one year, I think 1970. The show did not run on Sunday then, but a bunch of guys got together to get it running that day as there was no crowd to contend with. Bish was the head engineer from what I remember. Norm was in there as well. Sherwood was belting it with his Y. They finally got it going and drove it around for a while.
I know my dad was quite interested in it at the time but he really wanted to get a Z. Sadly he never got one.
It was sold to Don Calhoun who then sold it to a fellow in New York. The tractor came back to Milton in 83 for the show when we featured Rumely the first time.

Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35:50 PM
Sponsor

G

I think your Makoti pictures are E's not B's.
The back wheels look too big.
I was to Makoti years ago. I don't remember much about it as to what tractor's were there.

Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35:55 PM
Email NOT Working

I believe both are F series. We had these in the mid 70's. The rusty one broke a axle one time as we were unloading it off of a double drop detachable trailer, not for sure why, since we didnt drop it or nothing. It also has a bad reputation of killing a previous owner by back firing while the guy was trying to start it. He was standing on the rear wheel and using his foot in the spokes and turning the engine over and it back fired and I believe through him up in the air and He came down and hit the ground. Just terrible.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12:58 AM
Subscriber

Mr. Pence's pictures of the flipped over tractor really are sad. I saw Charly's E mentioned in the first post after he got it home. It was an excellent tractor - he bought it from Reynolds and was one of the first out of there so he chose a good one. He had never restored it fully cosmetically so it always looked like a real good working tractor.
The truck came to take it to the show and evidently, it was from a farm equipment dealer and a steel deck outfit - tractor was on original wheel equipment. Not sure what all happened but not far down the road, the E flipped off. The front axle stayed on the float and the rest of the tractor pulled out of the front socket and landed over on the clutch pulley side. The pulley, clutch shoes and spider, etc, were destroyed; the rear wheel was stove in and the cast hub split in two and the rear axle badly bent; the main frame was sprung; the entire cooler was destroyed; when seperating, the front axle was bent and wheel damaged.
The motor stayed on but of course the "feet" were cracked. It didn't seem to harm the crankshaft. A lot of other castings were busted such as the cooling pump when the piping got all ripped apart. I saw it in Charly's yard just after it was dumped off, made you sick to your stomach and never want to send a tractor out on the road again!
He finally got a settlement on it last year and I think the wreck happened about 2000 or 2001? He got another chassis from Mr. Tysse and assorted other parts here and there. I saw it last summer and it was close to back together - I am sure he has it done and running by now. It has been a real set back for Charly as he had just retired not long before this happened and was looking forward to getting at a lot of his other Rumelys. As he said, he already had the E done but had to start all over on it again. You wouldn't wish something like that on anyone. Not sure if I have any pix of that event?
G.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40:41 PM
Subscriber

Here are a couple of views also taken by Mr. Parker of SK. These are of Murray Johannson's E at Langruth, Manitoba. This was at his fall plowing/threshing a couple of years back I think? The chap standing behind the tractor in the one shot is Mr. Clyde Hall of Fillmore, SK. Mr. Hall did a fair bit of work on this tractor and many other big Rumelys since. This tractor, I believe, is one of the three that pulled the 50 bottom plow at Rollag a couple of years back?
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ger1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	15579   Click image for larger version

Name:	ger2.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	15580  
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30:07 PM
Subscriber

Some stuff from a 1912 Oil Pull catalogue including a shot of the original 50 plow stunt with the 3 Es - an average of an acre every four and a half minutes! This was nicely recreated at Rollag a few years back and there is probably a thread on it in here somewhere?
Also, a plowing scene with an 8 bottom Rumely plow.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oilpull1.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	15634   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpull2.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	15635   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpull3.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	15636  
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55:29 PM
Sponsor

Nice pics!!!
The third picture is an early tractor, notice the round spokes in the front wheel.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08:57 AM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Ross: So has the colour catalogue cover view. Infact it looks like an etching of the same outfit.

Robert
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16:33 PM
Subscriber

Here is a shot that should go with some above of Murray Johannson's E. Left to right are Clyde Hall, Bob Anderson and Murray.
Also, a line up of big power at Rollag, MN. Rumely F, 20-40 Case and an A&T. Never a shortage of things to see and hear at Rollag
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	op1.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	15699   Click image for larger version

Name:	op2.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	15700