Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler / Wisconsin Science Project

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 609 times

Old 03-26-2019, 07:18:11 AM
Subscriber

Default Kohler / Wisconsin Science Project

This popped up on my local craigslist and I spotted it. I have no interest, even if it had not been eh modified??
It is about an hour from me and being sold by a well known surplus / industrial equipment dealer. I am temped to go take a look just to observe the fuel system modifications. Could this have been an attempt at building a GEET fuel system? Who knows if it ever worked or was even remotely efficient. I am sure somebody had a good time building it though..

Just thought it was interesting...

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/b...844526584.html
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,116 Times in 761 Posts
Default Re: Kohler / Wisconsin Science Project

Looks to me like someone tried to set it up for heat recovery, The pipe assembly on top looks like a DIY exhaust heat exchanger. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on from the pics though.

Bill

Last edited by Zephyr7; 03-26-2019 at 01:13:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 11:37:15 AM
Registered-III

I got dizzy lookimg at it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,634 Posts

That certainly does look odd. It may make more sense in person. Generator is single phase, so that's probably a plus for most people. Would be interesting to study up close. Trying to figure out what the two pipes are going down into the Vee of the engine?

Keith
Old 03-26-2019, 01:17:50 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
That certainly does look odd. It may make more sense in person. Generator is single phase, so that's probably a plus for most people. Would be interesting to study up close. Trying to figure out what the two pipes are going down into the Vee of the engine?
It looks like water in/out the ends of the block goes down into the engine, exhaust gas comes out in the bigger pipe with the smaller water pipe from the block inside like a DIY heat exchanger. I donít know why there are valves on what would be the exhaust gas out in that case though (but there are valves on everything so who knows). Itís a plumbers special for sure!

Bill
Old 03-26-2019, 02:34:43 PM
Subscriber

i may be wrong but that looks like a air cooled v4 wisconsin to me. I have no idea what they were trying to pull off.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:55:21 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
i may be wrong but that looks like a air cooled v4 wisconsin to me. I have no idea what they were trying to pull off.
Maybe they tried to extract waste heat from the oil? Iíve seen oil coolers on supposedly ďair cooledĒ engines before. I know Kohler has done that on residential gensets before.

Bill
Old 03-26-2019, 04:46:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,073 Times in 693 Posts

Maybe some sort of woodgas or GEET contraption, with the intake running inside the exhaust.. Never bought into that one, but Mr. Pantone would be proud
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35:26 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
Maybe some sort of woodgas or GEET contraption, with the intake running inside the exhaust.. Never bought into that one, but Mr. Pantone would be proud
Can you elaborate? I thought woodgas was usually just injected in the same way as any other gaseous fuel. Iíve been thinking about trying it though, so Iím kinda curious.

Bill
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29:30 PM
Sponsor

That is a Wisconsin V4 air cooled engine. Normally, the cooling air is drawn in by the fins on the flywheel, and discharges across the cylinders and heads in an upward air flow. This unit looks like it has reverse airflow similar to Onan's Vac-U-Flow cooling. The housing attached to the front of the flywheel housing must have a blower wheel that discharges the hot air across those two vertical cylinders mounted on top of it. I have no idea what they are for.

I used to have a Kohler 10 KW generator very similar to that one. (without the field modifications)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10:02 AM
Registered-III

Maybe a stationary test bed for somebodies 200 mpg carburetor? Back about 1980 there were all kinds of ideas, Pogue carburetors, vaporizer type things. Some used hot coolant to boil gas, or exhaust heat. Smokey Yunick had something working pretty good. I dabbled a bit myself.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:04:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,073 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr7 View Post
Can you elaborate? I thought woodgas was usually just injected in the same way as any other gaseous fuel. I’ve been thinking about trying it though, so I’m kinda curious.

Bill
A proper woodgas system should have some sort of gas washer stage (maybe the canisters?) and possibly a blower.. The air/fuel mixture usually takes place before entering the carb..

It was just a guess, with all the Tees and valves.. Maybe they were trying to apply GEET methods to producer gas or HHO or who knows what.

That is a Wisconsin, but I'd sure like to see it run before buying it Trailer is worth something
Old 03-27-2019, 12:10:38 PM
Subscriber

I guess you could at least test run the engine with a spray bottle of gasoline. If you could figure out where to squirt it!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys! If I can think of something I need from the place maybe I will take a ride down there on Saturday and get a good look at it. Fazzio Steel or Fazzios as most in the area know it is strange with pricing their equipment, seems like whoever is unloading the trucks that day decides what they price the items at. There are bargains to be had for sure though!

Back to gen, I think the PVC? elbows pointing down which are attached to the two fluid sights over the cooling are discharge would be the air intakes. There also looks like some small rubber line going to those sights which may have been the liquid fuel supply... I am going to say the two ball valves sticking out sideways with the black tape on them would be the exhaust.
As for the two little plywood panel with the meter / tubing and plastic tank... got me...
Old 03-28-2019, 10:22:14 AM
Subscriber

Looks to me like an attempt to build a 200mpg carburetor setup of some sort. Although, if max fuel efficiency is what you're shooting for, that is the WORST engine you could try to do it with. That VG4D is the most efficient way to expend gasoline that I know of. Second only to pouring it on the ground and lighting it on fire.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:04:04 AM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArodaPowerCo View Post
Looks to me like an attempt to build a 200mpg carburetor setup of some sort. Although, if max fuel efficiency is what you're shooting for, that is the WORST engine you could try to do it with. That VG4D is the most efficient way to expend gasoline that I know of. Second only to pouring it on the ground and lighting it on fire.
You got that right. My extended family has one on a home built monster woodsplitter. Getting wood requires trucks and tractors and all sorts of machinery that is fueled every couple days but that woodsplitter seems to need gas once in the morning and again at lunch time and again in the evening.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:29:14 PM
Registered-II

PVC = polyvinyl chloride
PCV = positive crankcase ventilation
Old 03-28-2019, 12:46:44 PM
Subscriber

Yes PVC. Please reference picture #2 in the craigslist link in my first post.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:13:33 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
You got that right. My extended family has one on a home built monster woodsplitter. Getting wood requires trucks and tractors and all sorts of machinery that is fueled every couple days but that woodsplitter seems to need gas once in the morning and again at lunch time and again in the evening.
Wisconsin engines are very durable and reliable and were popular when gasoline was 27 cents/gallon but not a good choice today.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:06:27 PM
Subscriber

I'd imagine they are low compression like most flatheads. Milling the heads a bit would likely do wonders for economy. They must have originally been expected to run on very low octane fuels....