Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 30RZ Controller

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 488 times

Old 10-30-2018, 08:53:00 AM
Registered

Default Kohler 30RZ Controller

New to this forum and could use some advice....I've had my 30RZ installed with 200A Cummings (Kohler) rollover at my house for about 3 months. Everything working great after a few minor electronic repairs to the power supply on the rollover circuit board. Major upgrade from the 17kw Generac! I've been searching available information and it appears I have a Decision Maker 3 or 3+ controller (pic attached). If so, I am thinking I should have RS485 available. I am looking to remote access generator status via RS485, possibly using an Ethernet converter and my home router. Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. LanceR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30RZ Controller.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	321829  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 01:23:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,116 Times in 761 Posts
Default Re: Kohler 30RZ Controller

I’m not so sure you have RS485 available. The earlier versions of these controllers didn’t have it. Check here: http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp6712.pdf
Look for connector P21. If you have it, you want to use the “isolated” RS485 (less issues with noise and safer all around).

If you do have RS485 available, it’s a modbus-type interface. You will need more than an “RS485 to Ethernet converter” — you’ll need something that can issue commands, read raw data values, and then interpret and display the results. I’d try a raspberry pi for this. You can use a MAX483 interface ic (double check that part number, you need the full duplex version) and the raspberry pi’s internal serial port (its available on the header). You’ll have to do some programming, but there is a command line modbus query tool that I’ve used before to do exactly what you’re trying to do.

Bill
Old 10-30-2018, 02:31:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill!!!!

Looks like you have been where I am trying to go. Yes, I have heard I may need a 'PI' interface and that will be more in my son's department, but I will get a look for P21. It is sort of fun to get to in that this unit also has the external relay package which cramps access to the controller. I'll let you know what I find. Can you confirm from the picture it is a DM or DM3?? Looking at TP-6712 on page 4, it does not show the DM or DM3 as an option with the 30RZ, only the DM550 or DM3000. Possible special order???

Again, Thanks!!!
Lance R
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45:59 PM
Registered-III

I canít be sure what you have since they look the same on the outside. I think the original versions date back to the mid 80s. The nameplate will get a number that we can look up to see what it has.

I wouldnít bother trying to upgrade to a DEC550 controller and Iím not even sure itís possible. Those have ďpersonalitiesĒ for each genset and itís not something that can be done in the field. All the sets Iíve seen with such a controller ship with a CD attached to the back of the controller with this info just in case itís ever needed.

Easiest option for you might be able to get one of the ďADAMĒ modules or something similar (look at B and B electronics for this stuff) and use it to read the contact closures provided by the relays you have. I tell my customers to monitor ďon generatorĒ (this means itís making power, and you might not have this available on your set) ďgenerator runningĒ, ďsummary alarmĒ (basically an output that signals any kind of fault). You might also want to pickup over temp and oil pressure pre-alarms but thats up to you. The most important are the running and summary alarms which basically mean ďyouíre using your generatorĒ and ďthe the generator has a problemĒ. A battery monitor is a good idea too, as is a permanently installed battery tender. Kohler supplies a small 2 or 5 amp or so tender that can fit almost anywhere (itís about the size of a pair of paperback books). I think itís $50 or so. There are plenty of other suppliers too.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 08:28:17 PM
Registered

Bill, Hope all is well with you!!! Been a while, but not only is my 30RZ rocking and rolling, but I have acquired a 2nd one for my son's house. No operational issues with either genset. A question: Can you assist with identification for each of the 10 relays on the auxillary relay box (looks like a option) mounted just behind the Decision Maker 3?? Finally have time to get a Raspberry PI going for a remote monitor. Should not be much trouble but need to know which relay indicates what.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

LanceR
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46:22 PM
Registered-III

Maybe I can help. I have all the manuals for the 20RZ and Iím pretty sure itís the same controller so I should docs. I donít have a way to email electronic copies at the moment, but I can send a pic of the relevant page. Iíll try to get that tomorrow. If you donít hear back from me by tomorrow night, PM me. Iíve been a bit under the weather the past day or so and that tends to make me forgetful.

Bill
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24:32 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill, no rush, get better!!!

LanceR
Old 04-24-2019, 02:23:07 PM
Registered

Bill, Please disregard. I found it on page 27 of the TP6712.
Thanks again for all of your help.
LanceR
Old 04-25-2019, 08:29:20 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceR View Post
Bill, Please disregard. I found it on page 27 of the TP6712.
Thanks again for all of your help.
LanceR
Thanks for letting me know! I was just thinking I owed something to someone on here and was going to go dig through manuals before leaving.

Bill
Old 04-27-2019, 02:49:57 PM
Registered-III

This is a later model DEC-III controller, and it does not have RS-485 capability. That didn't exist until the DEC-340 that interfaced with the M340 ATS.

The only signals you'll get out of this controller without potentially damaging it would be through the use of a "dry contact kit", which gives you relay signals for each of the outputs.

While the dry contact kit had dedicated relays for specific functions, they weren't tied directly to those functions - you can easily move a signal wire to another terminal and use the corresponding relay for that signal. The dry contact kit was a way for non-Kohler equipment to get signals out of the system without directly connecting to the logic.

Dan