Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Hit Miss Engine plans

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5321 times

Old 05-29-2014, 04:26:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Hit Miss Engine plans

Hello : Is there anyone that has plans for making a Hit & Miss engine out of a lawn mower engine or air compressor ? I think there was a person in Texas that made theses kind of engines . Thank You for any help .
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,674 Times in 1,961 Posts
Default Re: Hit Miss Engine plans

I'd also be very interested in such a project. I think a good starting point would be with an overhead valve engine. As I understand it the hit miss does a compression release between power cycles. That would be far easier to accomplish with an overhead valve engine. Next would be the addition of a much bigger flywheel. That could even be driven off a double pully on the output shaft.
In truth I'd be interested in developing a more modern hit miss engine. I think it would interface well with an inverter generator. The larger flywheel could be seeded with N42-N45 permanent magnets, becoming a PM armature. There are now EFI controler chips aimed at small single cylinder engines. That could be tied in with the compression release mechanism. No fuel added to incoming air on comression released cycles. Perhaps not as asthetically pleasing as a big old hunk of iron, but danged efficient and useful.
Doc
Old 05-30-2014, 11:33:20 AM
Registered-II

I don't think the fluctuating rpm of a hit and miss engine would lend itself very well to driving a generator would it? By their very nature the revs have to drop to release the exhaust valve and vice versa.

Re the large flywheel, many years ago I was involved in rigging up a 50 KVA WW2 airfield emergency generator to a Ford lorry engine to use as power supply for a remote corn store. When we had our lunch break we would disengage the drive and stop the Diesel engine, leaving the generator free-wheeling with no load. On returning 30 minutes later we would re-engage the clutch and there was still enough energy stored in the 5' solid flywheel to restart the Diesel! John.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:57:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,674 Times in 1,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorfarmdenton View Post
I don't think the fluctuating rpm of a hit and miss engine would lend itself very well to driving a generator would it? By their very nature the revs have to drop to release the exhaust valve and vice versa.
Not strictly mechanically, no. Mechanical side would act mainly as a minimum RPM maintainer just to keep engine running. It would need to be interfaced with gen electrics for load maintenance. But that could be done with a trip escapement that dissengaged the compression release. I'm leary of solenoids (spent time as a pinball mechanic way back when). Was thinking more of a stepper motor with a multi lobe cam. Much faster and more reliable.

But think about how an inverter gen behaves. (power frequency is maintained by inverter, so RPM need not be constant). Low load it throttles down. Higher load it throttles up. Hit miss does much the same. Tries to maintain an RPM range. Higher load will cause it to hit more often. Not so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorfarmdenton View Post
Re the large flywheel, many years ago I was involved in rigging up a 50 KVA WW2 airfield emergency generator to a Ford lorry engine to use as power supply for a remote corn store. When we had our lunch break we would disengage the drive and stop the Diesel engine, leaving the generator free-wheeling with no load. On returning 30 minutes later we would re-engage the clutch and there was still enough energy stored in the 5' solid flywheel to restart the Diesel! John.
5' is a dandy flywheel. 1/2 M*Vsquared works real good. Just think how long it would run with magnetic bearings in a partial vacuum! (Like more exotic modern versions do).

This project is becoming rather stuck in my thoughts. Like using the stepper motor with multi lobes itself as the compression release mechanism. No need for spinning balls.... except they are neat to look at.
Doc
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01:33 AM
Registered

First time posting here...looking for Briesch Peters Olds plans. Project is mostly finished (in the 80's) but the prints have faded any help is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:51:07 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

I don't know if his will help but I've converted a two cylinder air compressor to an engine. Presently, it's configured as a double expansion engine with one power cylinder and one to expand the exhaust from the power cylinder.

I should have thought about it more when I was designing the conversion because my simple method of attempting to extract power from the power cylinder overpressure at the beginning of the exhaust stroke doesn't add any power. It does run pretty well, though. In the future, I may change the design to try to actually get some advantage from the second expansion.

I guess you could get some ideas from the photos and description of how I went about the conversion.

Then, there's The Non-McVickerish Engine. It started out as a McVicker type but has been converted to an electronic governed hit and miss. You may get some governing ideas there, too.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05:54 AM
Subscriber

In your travels, you might have seen a Briggs & Stratton Hit & Miss engine at shows in Pa or NJ. The owner made the engine & several other creations.
I don't know if they used plans or just worked it out step by step, as the job progressed. There is a you tube video of some of the making of the engine.
The owner is Mike. known as small engine mechanic, on the youtube channel.
An associate is 805 ROADKING & both share the projects & experiences
You might view the video & correspond with them for additional informations.
Super nice guys willing to talk & help anytime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rghO...oAUJy8BgIQd3N2

https://www.youtube.com/user/SmallEngineMechanic.
Shane
Old 02-11-2015, 12:53:06 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,088 Times in 674 Posts
Smile Re: Hit Miss Engine plans

Its not that difficult to make a hit miss engine without plans. I have made several out of old FI brigs engines and Brunner air compressors . Just cut ,weld and machine till everything fits. I have even made the flywheels.
out of a steel plate. You can use the gears out of older Brigs. engines, some of them like the Fi Brigs even have the cam already on them. The carb , I make out of a couple pipe fittings.
I have one in my model trailer, that I made out of a Brunner Air Compressor
years ago . I used a couple Flywheels I got from DEBOLT, and fabricated the
rest. I shrunk a extra ring on each wheel for added weight. this engine well
run so slow that it almost comes to a complete stop before she fires again.
Just go for it and have fun !Here's a picture of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471 small.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	218273  

Last edited by Jamesk815; 02-11-2015 at 04:18:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19:24 PM
Registered

Do you have plans for the Paul Briesch Olds model engine?