Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

1/3 Case-Reduction Engineering Begining in Califonia

this thread has 101 replies and has been viewed 14169 times

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1/3 Case-Reduction Engineering Begining in Califonia

One of the things that seems to keep "biting " me in recent years is not following the rule ( for trouble shooting ) "check the simplest thing first" .
Yesterday while at my lathe I moved the handle on the carriage to forward and nothing happened , likewise reverse ! I immediately assumed something bad had happened and started with a volt meter at the plug at the wall then checked the plug coming out of the 3phs converter . I got a screwdriver and took the screws out of the electrical panel right below the main power switch on the lathe and discovered it in the off position! I had installed a switch next to my 220 plug on the wall so when I'm not using the lathe that the converter is also off. I never use the power switch on the lathe and must have bumped it with my knee . I'll write some more of "check the simplest thing first" stories when I have a chance . I have some doozies ! Also a pic of fly cut engine mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pwrsch3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	277885   Click image for larger version

Name:	onoffswch.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	277886   Click image for larger version

Name:	flyengmt.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	277887  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 12:36:48 AM
Subscriber

If I remember correctly I flsnged the part that abuts to the boiler first then I had a short piece of the boiler tube that I clamped to the flange and clamped it to the Bridgeport table. Indicated it in and used the digitals to measure over and up for the center of the engine from the center of the boiler. I used a boring bar to make the rsdius. This is one part you want to get right. If it isn't you are going to have problems mounting your engine. I consider myself lucky that mine came out real close to where it needed to be. Double, triple check your layout. Then double triple check it again. I even drilled the engine frame mounting holes and they came out right on. It was a real challenge but there was a lot of satisfaction when I saw everything come together withoit a hitch. Not everything worked oit like that did. Good to see you making a little headway.
The Following User Says Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanks to b7100 I have gotten on to watching Thatlazymachinist.com . This last session on the mill/drill , required me move the head between operations.
Marc has a great video on re-zeroing column mills . One technique he uses a laser. I have rotary construction laser with a vertical function that uses a receiver that is visual but also puts out tones . Fast pulses one way , slow the other and steady when zeroed . I put the laser on the mill with a piece of duct tape to steady it and set the receiver on my garage door over 20' away . I can hear the tones from the receiver much farther away than I can see while I moved the head making a very accurate re zero.
Just don't forget to take the receiver off the door when done!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lasmill2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	277901   Click image for larger version

Name:	lasrec.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	277902  
Old 04-03-2017, 11:07:58 PM
Subscriber

This past weekend I traveled to Willits in northern Ca. to Roots of Motive Power to attend their annual 2 day Steam engineering and safety class. I have been hoping to get to the class since I first traveled there 4 years ago . Willits is also home to The Skunk railroad which I am also hoping to ride one of these days. I had a great time and learned a lot. Hands on experience included seat time on their beautifully restored 1924 Buffalo Springfield coal fired roller and Willamette wood fired yarder. Hiesler locomotive was for the folks in the advanced class. I am hoping to get to the railroad class the first weekend in June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkhouse View Post
Thanks to b7100 I have gotten on to watching Thatlazymachinist.com . This last session on the mill/drill , required me move the head between operations.
Marc has a great video on re-zeroing column mills . One technique he uses a laser. I have rotary construction laser with a vertical function that uses a receiver that is visual but also puts out tones . Fast pulses one way , slow the other and steady when zeroed . I put the laser on the mill with a piece of duct tape to steady it and set the receiver on my garage door over 20' away . I can hear the tones from the receiver much farther away than I can see while I moved the head making a very accurate re zero.
Just don't forget to take the receiver off the door when done!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	root2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	279187   Click image for larger version

Name:	root3.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	279189   Click image for larger version

Name:	roots5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	279190   Click image for larger version

Name:	roots6.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	279191  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:54:33 PM
Subscriber

I had been trying to find a 1/3 reduction that I could see ( in the flesh)since well before I started this thread . After going to Dream Machines (primarily a car show ,but they have Smokstak type stuff and airplanes . Roots of Motive power was there with their beautiful steam rollers) at Half Moon Bay a couple of weeks ago and stumbling into a former owner of one , I discovered that there were 3, just over the "hill " from me in the Silicon Valley . I would have left here within 24 hours if I had found one west of the Rocky Mountains! Two are owned by an avid member of the Portola Valley and Alpine Railroad Club of which one was built by Ralph Andreas (that one would be the " Holly Grail" for me) I don't know what happened to the pic of Ralphs tag, my I phone doesn't really get along with Smokstak that well. Both of these other two , which I have had the good fortune to visit, were built as a group of three by the same builder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	case1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	282122   Click image for larger version

Name:	case2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	282123   Click image for larger version

Name:	case3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	282124   Click image for larger version

Name:	case4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	282125  
Old 06-06-2017, 09:39:09 AM
Subscriber

A lot of things have been going on for me and I haven't gotten much done on my case, but I have had some fun. This last weekend I traveled back to Roots of Motive Power (500 mi roundtrip)to attend their Railroading class. As with their Steam class, I class I learned a lot .I definitely learned at 67 I don't want to start a career as a railroad man . I slept really well after both days! On Thursday evening before the class I participated with other members of Roots Of Motive Power, " at Baldo Locomotive Works where "Mason County #7" is being overhauled . A little hard to see in my photo are grid square and thickness marks on the boiler where ultra sound measurement of the boiler thickness are being conducted. Its probably better for me that Roots is far away because Roots would be a really big distraction for me.
Also 2 weeks ago I attended a 2 day blacksmithing class put on by Cabrillo College ( Our local community college )something that has been on my list for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rootsrail2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	283800   Click image for larger version

Name:	blks1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	283801   Click image for larger version

Name:	bwks1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	283802   Click image for larger version

Name:	rootsrail3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	283803  
The Following User Says Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 10:38:49 PM
Subscriber

I have been in my shop a little working on the case recently but I have had a few activities that I thought I would post. My trip to Dream Machines earlier in the year resulted in finding 3 of 1/3 case/reduction, also connected me to the Portola Valley and Alpine RR , which turns out be co-located with the Jacque Littlefield tank collection , both of which I had heard of before and both are private . I feel fortunate to have gotten a chance visit both these great sites, especially since the tank collection has been thinned down ( originally over 300pieces ) and is in the process of being transferred to the Collins Foundation in Maine . The day I was there PVARR was being visited by the Golden Gate Live steamers ,(not private)which I will try to get to one of these days . Also the visit Dream Machines connected me to a ticket( at half the face value) to Engineer for day at Roaring Camp RR right hear in Santa Cruz . I have been to Roaring camp multiple times during its over 50 year life and didn't know the program existed until I stumbled into the ticket .I would have done this one a long time ago. Doug the engineer on duty that day stuck me in the right seat and gave me a little throttle time on the Dixiana Shay. I had a blast! there are websites for all of the above
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pvarr1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	286046   Click image for larger version

Name:	pvarr2.jpg
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	286047   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	286048   Click image for larger version

Name:	roarcamp.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	286049  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17:45 PM
Subscriber

Getting a few of the piece's parts together! Wrapper sheet tack welded . I went with faux rivets on the wrapper sheet. My "I" beam has been very useful in the past and looking ahead I'll be using continually on the Case project. I can move it and my 3/4" table in the background with an ATV jack. Next up I need to figure a way to form my crown sheet , possibly with the beam. Neeka would rather be at the beach!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wrapper2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	287178   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrapper4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	287179   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrapper3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	287180   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrapper neeka 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	287182  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:12:18 PM
Subscriber

Forming crown sheet .More reuse , I cut up the frame that I had made for the wrapper sheet which was already pretty much junk . The left side is a boat trailer jack that I had replaced on a friends trailer , it still has the screw inside frozen in place from a little to much Monterey Bay salt water, I also saved the welds on the top bar . Pic #1 shows the firebox ends with frame I built to stiffen every thing , ready to go . Next flu sheet in place with 3 jacks to control level at start , also because I didn't allow enough room for my 20 t jack. I had originally thought I would use a rose bud to heat the crown as I had seen on b7100's thread but I thought I would give it a try cold with aerosol grease as I had done with my wrapper. Pic #3 20t jack pushing framework thru no problem!Last shows crown laying over beam you can see grease track on sheet and frame . Tomorrow I'll get the stiffeners out and clamp the crown back on and tack weld.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firebox4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	287545   Click image for larger version

Name:	firebox3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	287546   Click image for larger version

Name:	firebox2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	287547   Click image for larger version

Name:	firebox5.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	287549  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14:11 PM
Subscriber

Looks good. The rosebud and using forks on the positrack worked - probably a little less trouble. But I had a little swayback to deal with. Yours looks straight. As an afterthought the whole thing doesn't show from the outside of the boiler. The ends wouldn't have to be formed over a die. Just weld them. Probably just as good. Less work, faster. Good to see you back at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:49:28 PM
Subscriber

I am interested in putting a fuse plug in the top of the crown sheet , similar to what b7100 did. I wonder if anyone has some input about what size, make , model,manufacturer?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:28:10 PM
Subscriber

Hi

I had a 1/4 scale Minneapolis. I used a 3/8" plug. I had purchased several many years ago from Turning. I know you can get the 3/8" size new as a fellow who has a 1/2 scale used 3/8" and he got it from a boiler repair/building shop.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob N For This Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38:51 PM
Subscriber

Backwards a couple of days on a side project . I have been living without a press in my shop forever and have been looking ahead at the need to bend some things I'm not currently set up for .I would have bought a harbor freight hydraulic jack model . I didn't like the ridged 1" round bar that they have at the bottom of their slide so , I put in a sleeve with a set screw that I can change and put different things in like dies.
I started into my junk pile and am using up some channel that I salvaged from a sailboat builder that was going under over 30 yrs ago. Pieces I have left didn't allow for a floor model, I may ad some legs some day. Top bar was from same setup that bent the wrapper/crown. Building a punch press from left over structural pieces from the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary Building which went ($4.5 M plus and I seldom see anyone in there , they took out a skateboard park that thousands of kids used)in here a few years ago.( A lot of rust from sitting , tried some full strength(35%) Muriatic acid in a spray bottle nasty stuff, I had respirator, full face shield rubber gloves, next time I may invest in a full face respirator , they a pretty reasonable now ) very low marine layer here this morning and after a rinse steel flash rusted immediately .Tomorrow I'll come up with the moveable bottom bar and some paint.
Neeka likes the beach much better than the shop !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	press1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	289202   Click image for larger version

Name:	neekabeach.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	289203  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:35:07 PM
Subscriber

Traveled to Roots of motive Power this weekend for their annual Steam Up. Being a newby after having taken the classes early this year I was hoping to get a little time in firing on something . My crew leader Jerry , says you need to have some "Skin in the Game" and had me do just about everything (firing and operating ) the Raymond steam crane , which was originally built as a pile driver, on Saturday. Then on Sunday we took on the Ohio steam crane which is self propelled or can be part of a train. Chris Baldo and the whole gang at roots are not only great at restoring and operating " old machinery " but they also want everybody that has an interest in getting some "skin in the game". Hats off to them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ray1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	290912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	290913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	290914   Click image for larger version

Name:	ohio 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	290915  

Last edited by sjkhouse; 09-11-2017 at 05:59:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:56:30 PM
Subscriber

More pics from the steam up. The one machine at roots that has a very , very short list of operators is the Bucyrus Erie 50b steam shovel . Phil a long time operator of the 50b for roots was training a "new operator " now the current president of roots " Lee" who has years in with roots. Not a lot of places to get to see one of these in action!
Visited Baldo Locomotive Works ,which is a couple of miles away, also located in Willits . A new project they have started is a H. K . Porter locomotive (standard gauge ) ultra sound grid marks on the boiler are barely visible on my pic.
The Mason County 7 is making progress with a coat of paint and re-assembly beginning . There are 4 locomotives in some stage of restoration at BLW and 3 others at the Roots site . They have no shortage of things to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buc1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	290916   Click image for larger version

Name:	buc2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	290917   Click image for larger version

Name:	port1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	290918   Click image for larger version

Name:	mason1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	290919  
Old 10-09-2017, 11:02:33 PM
Subscriber

Making a little progress . Getting ready to tack on the wing sheet supports . I have leveling screws on the legs of my 3/4" welding table and I have been able to use a machinists level for some of the measurements on this project. Not very visible in my pic is one of my set ups for horizontal lines . The wood block has a carbide scriber stuck in it . I started with it a little high for the mud ring level and then took off thin slices with a radial arm saw to get it just right .I followed b7100's advice and added an extra drain/cleanout/inspect hole on the left rear . I have decided to use pipe threads on all of my holes out of future concerns about damage happening to the male extra fine threads that are spec . I should always be able to find a pipe tap for any damage and when I get farther along I'll make some decorative plugs out of hex stock so they will look like they should . I also put an inspection plug in the back head like b7100 but after re-visiting one the threesome (I believe the three were originally started by DR Chuck Whitcher) I upgraded to 1" pipe plug.

I have had in collection of stuff a small device made by Ideal manufacturing that I have wanted to do something with .I haven't found another one on line and my neighbor Roy had never seen one. It has dovetail ways one with rack and pinion and one with screw . I combined it with plans from Harold Hall (Workshop practice series ) and made a rest which lets me grind end mill ends. Works Great!

Last - backyard rivet shortening ! A harbor freight hold down that I have on set up for my drill press -1/8" plate to make faux rivets for wing sheet supports -use a porta band
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boiler wagontop.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	293234   Click image for larger version

Name:	grinderattachment2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	293235   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivetcut.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	293236  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47:40 PM
Subscriber

Back at mill drill fly cutting the barrel radius on the steam dome using the vfd at half speed again. The stroke of the quill was about an inch short so I had to do it in 2 passes but didn't need the laser trick as it was one continuous surface. Hold down was made using my improved blacksmithing from Vern's class. I even hot punched the holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steamdomeflycut.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	293331  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38:21 PM
Subscriber

Finally back in the shop after holidays and other family events! I bought the tube new as specified 9-1/2 OD seamless DOM. When I fly cut the throat I had a very snug fit ( about 10 thousands over is what I remember) When I welded the steam dome in I should have pre heated the tube . When I started to install it into the throat it wouldn't even come close to going in. I discovered it was almost a tenth out of round. After several tries I ended up squeezing it almost 8 tenths the other way before it would spring back to round. The next thing I discovered that the throat was pretty lumpy from faux rivets. I made a templet and spent a couple of hours grinding get the throat nice and clean. I still came up with a pretty nice fit .To ease the tube in I ran a piece of all thread between the flue sheet and the backhead , hence the speed wrench to turn the nut . Back on my level welding table I used the machinist level on the tube for longitudinal straightness and got on the machined surface of the steam dome to get very nicely lined up cross ways. Last using my dads old plastic B&D rope clamp ( which he probably bought when I was still in high school) again to hold a V block to get the engine mount square with the tube and was able to measure up from the level table with a dimension that was available in Ralphs book that was excluded in Reduction plans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shell1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	300695   Click image for larger version

Name:	shell2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	300696   Click image for larger version

Name:	shell3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	300697   Click image for larger version

Name:	shell4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	300698  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjkhouse For This Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 09:30:12 PM
Subscriber

Getting ready for the stays , I decided I would be working both inside the firebox and out at lot , and I've gotten real bored already pumping the engine hoist that is on loan from friend Gary to flip the boiler over. I decided to build a set up on the frame that used to be under my old lathe. It has some 10 " dia casters that were part of the sailboat shop that I salvaged years ago. they should be capable of handling the case to the end . I started with a 3/8 bolt in the stay hole just above the firebox opening but it was apparent right away that it wouldn't hold up . I built a bracket with a 1" shaft that also clamps the firebox to the backhead . It will still cover the stay hole that happens to be on the design center line but I should be able to access all the others. Shell is held by a piece of 3/4 shop maple plywood is providing just the right amount of friction but I'm afraid after some use It will be to slick a the boiler won't stay in place . I did foresee that and left a hole in the 1" pipe bearing that I can weld a nut over to be a brake. Right now 3 ea 3/8 bolts are holding the sides and front end. 2 stay holes in the back head will have to be filled with welds when stays go in. I had missed the layout a little trying to use stay lay out for hold downs on the flanging dies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rotate1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	301065   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotate2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	301066   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotate3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	301067  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:09:36 AM
Subscriber

I needed a cap for the steam dome but I wasn't ready to machine the valve .
I turned the ends of the valve casting but didn't have a mill cutter or want to set up a rotary table to clean up the top of the flange,so I came up with this back yard set up . Grinder is held in V blocks with clamps and gap spacing is random pieces of metal , then I free-handed the flange . When I get back to actual machining I'll clean it up a little better with dremel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	302621   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	302622