Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler dec 3 identification help

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 347 times

Old 02-27-2019, 11:36:28 AM
Registered

Default Kohler dec 3 identification help

I recently had 2 kohler boards out of a dec 3.
One has he usual label on it a-336415. (green board)
The other one has the label A347283 (green board)
Component wise they both are identical.
What Im getting between the two is that one has cooldown and one does not.
Is there a kohler tech that could verify that is what the difference is?
I see the newer boards do both but it i not specific as to if the cool down was the difference or not.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 03:27:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,373 Times in 891 Posts
Default Re: Kohler dec 3 identification help

DIP switch position #2 OPEN is no cooldown and CLOSED is 5 minute cooldown
Old 02-27-2019, 04:06:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,124 Times in 765 Posts

You should be using the cool down. The only reason not to have the controller do it is so that you can adjust the time from a controller in something else like an ATS. I’d leave the generator controller configured for the 5 minute colldown option.

Bill
Old 02-27-2019, 11:17:39 PM
Registered-III

Most ATS have the cooldown built in. Most times the cooldown in the DEC3 just causes the cooldown to be 10 minutes not 5. IMHO, 5 minute cooldown is plenty.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44:47 AM
Registered

still looking if anyone has the info on both different part numbers.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:26:05 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHaze View Post
still looking if anyone has the info on both different part numbers.
It might be better for you to post pics of the boards, someone on here might recognize them.

Bill
Old 04-07-2019, 07:55:42 PM
Registered-III

Call flight systems and ask them. They are generally pretty helpful and they've had their hands on every version possible.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29:58 PM
Registered

flight is where this question appeared from to begin with. I have contacted several companies and no one knows. I called kohler and well, tech info is like digging for a prize out of cracker jacks boxes.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:49:58 PM
Registered-III

You need to either find an old school Kohler tech (they’re out there), or talk to the factory. Kohler has info on pretty much everything they’ve ever made. I asked one of the factory engineering people (he was in my area telling me about new paralleling switchgear), and I asked about their load sensing auto start system they used back in the 1920s — I was curious how it worked. A few days later when he got back to his office in Wisconsin, he emailed me schematics from the 1920’s.

I did tell Kohler power systems about this forum, and mentioned that they could win a lot of brownie points and potential new customer goodwill by participating, but they probably don’t have the manpower.

You might try calling the factory. They don’t usually talk directly to customers, but you might get lucky. I know they really do have all the old info, you just need to find someone willing to go find it for you.

Bill
Old 04-27-2019, 02:33:36 PM
Registered-III

As a former Kohler employee, I can assure you they have all the old info. I used to have binders full of the stuff at my desk or in my work area. If I couldn't find it, Engineering had more detailed things in their area as well.

However, that being said, many of the people I worked with are at or nearing retirement age, and when they go the knowledge pertaining to the older relay controllers and rotating armature sets will go with them. The real joy of working there was that I could walk upstairs to Engineering and speak with people who were involved in the design and implementation of a lot of those older controls and alternators. There was a knowledge pool that was unbelievable, and a real privilege to be able to work with.

As for DEC-III, they all had five minute cool down built into the logic as long as you were running in the "automatic" mode. When 3&4 are opened, the timer would begin and after five minutes open the start circuit.

When they started going to the DEC-IIIE, or the DEC-III controller with the LCD display that integrated with the M340, cool down could be programmed at the controller and was not fixed.

Cool down in a Kohler ATS was an option and fairly rare with the exception of the R-340 (relay) logic. These were often paired with R-Series models that did not have cool down built into their controllers.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Post: