Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Stuart Sirius Engine dipstick dimensions

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 167 times

Old 04-21-2019, 09:51:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Stuart Sirius Engine dipstick dimensions

I recently acquired this Sirius steam engine and generator at an auction. It needs a little work, there are no brushes and one of the caps for the brushes is missing, but this seems minor to me unless the generator had other problems and was taken apart to try to fix it. Also the screens for the end of the generator are missing, but don't look like a problem to make. The engine looks to be in good shape and all there except that the dipstick was either broken off or cut off right near the cap. I need the dimensions for making a new one, especially the length from the bottom of the cap to the end of the dipstick and then the length from the bottom of the dipstick to the low oil mark and the max oil mark. I am going to clean and lube it and try running it on air first, if all works well I will replace the drain valve in the intake manifold with a displacement oiler and hope to get it running on steam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sirius.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	333205  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenkd5017 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,134 Times in 534 Posts
Default Re: Stuart Sirius Engine dipstick dimensions

I have a Sirius but it doesn't have the tall tube , like 1/2" lg. When I look in the opening I see a 1/4" rod sticking up from the bottom. I assume that the top of the rod was the oil level. It looks like that there may be something broken/missing from the inside of the cap?? I will be interested to hear from other Sirius owners. Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post: