Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 6.5 NHE Electronic Ignition upgrade

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1335 times

Old 05-18-2016, 03:41:07 PM
Registered

Default Onan 6.5 NHE Electronic Ignition upgrade

As it says in the title, I have an Onan 6.5 NHE Spec "A" & I want to upgrade from points to electronic ignition. It does have what I believe is the "newer" points tower. Fairly easy access on top of engine. I've heard that I will need that base plate for the electronic conversion, correct?
What else I have gathered, I need pn 160-1376 which is the Electronic Ignition Kit. Now do I also need a different plunger as well as a new gasket? If so, are these the correct parts number? 160-1151 Plunger & 160-1368 Gasket.
Greatly appreciate any input.
John
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2016, 09:12:22 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan 6.5 NHE Electronic Ignition upgrade

Better B sitting down when you price that kit out... Unobtainium, and you're gonna bleed!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:19:16 AM
Registered

Uh...i have priced it out & from what I have read what other guys paid to do the same job, I can do for over a $100 less.
What's this "you're gonna bleed" crap. Maybe I should have written constructive input.
J
Old 05-19-2016, 12:42:42 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,875 Posts

What he meant was when you see the price your going to die as if you've been shot and are bleeding.

Think Onan's electronic kit for use with points is ~ discontinued. Anyone that has one prices it as if it was made of solid gold. Unless you get real lucky.

Since you have the NHE maybe your thinking of the electronic pickup modual ~ $95 and PLASTIC magnet arms $30 that are used on later spec NHE's . I wouldn't go that way since the PLASTIC arms like to break if mouse nest, mud wasp. Maybe it would be ok if you tried putting the magnets in the flywheel instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 01:03:39 AM
Registered

Thank you for the clarification. My apologies for being overly sensitive.
Cheap, they aren't. The kit plus plunger & gasket are about $170. I've heard people pay almost $300 for everything. If it will make it start easier & run smoother, I think it will be worth it. Not happy about paying that much but less happy with the way it runs when it runs.
Thanks again & sorry for over reacting.
J
Old 05-19-2016, 01:18:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,063 Posts

As already stated, the kit has been discontinued. If you had just a 6.5 NH (without the E) I could tell you how to add electronic ignition that would be cheaper and better (in my opinion), but would require work. Since I am not familiar with the Emerald version I don't want to steer you wrong.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 05-19-2016, 01:27:27 AM
Registered-III

I gave some thought to using a coil pickup and ignition modual from a car for my JB. Some stackers have posted threads on how to do this. One that I can remember is named ~ Bobby or bobby Z.

The method is basically the same for all engines, only question is some of the old engines like NH ?? ( not NHE) use 6 volt coils (so you use a series resistor with coil). Pretty sure all NHE /BGE use 12 V coils , look at wiring diagram. Not really much difference between car ignition and NHE, JB, or any other battery powered coil .
Old 05-19-2016, 01:28:14 AM
Registered-II

Thanks Len, I probably should've elaborated a bit more. Just trying lighten the mood when the OP finds out the price... I'm lucky I scored mine reasonable, though I haven't used it yet. Just not sure if I want to commit to a spendy setup like that. Pertronix module itself is still made for ~$100, just need to buy a kit and ...extract... the module and transplant it - if original -1376 module croaks. Don't know if Pertronix would sell a raw module.

Yeah, kit is cool but I guess I'm more of a practical dude...
Old 05-19-2016, 03:01:52 AM
Registered-III

Think the old Chevy ignition moduals are $50 new , Maybe $5-10 in a junk yard used.
Need a pickup coil too , but can also wind your own or salvage a coil assembly from a relay.

Here's link to just one use of car ignition moduals.I think the staker with good ignition designs was Bobbyz71 ??
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...light=ignition

Last edited by len k; 05-19-2016 at 03:14:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33:04 AM
Registered-I

I have done this mod with GM modules. Ford modules are even easier. You have to remove the condenser. I have a diagram for conversion. I use the cheapest modules I can find done cars outboards ect going to do my Onan bf as well.

The points are used as a signal for the modules only very low current milliamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1959 View Post
I have done this mod with GM modules. Ford modules are even easier. You have to remove the condenser. I have a diagram for conversion. I use the cheapest modules I can find done cars outboards ect going to do my Onan bf as well.

The points are used as a signal for the modules only very low current milliamps.
http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...s-dist.978979/

[QUOTE=willie1959;1283553]I have done this mod with GM modules. Ford modules are even easier. You have to remove the condenser. I have a diagram for conversion. I use the cheapest modules I can find done cars outboards ect going to do my Onan bf as well.

[QUOTE=willie1959;1283553]I have done this mod with GM modules. Ford modules are even easier. You have to remove the condenser. I have a diagram for conversion. I use the cheapest modules I can find done cars outboards ect going to do my Onan bf as well.

The theory behind all modules is to increase the voltage going to the coil to around 500 volts on the primary side high voltage low current. This increases the secondary voltage capability to fire the plugs. Therefore, you can use an 8mm wire versus a 7 mm wire to the plugs plus increase the spark plug gap. All ignition coils all are limited by the internal wirings to increase the primary voltage to higher secondary voltage, hence increase the voltage on the primary side.

On the signal side of the module you only need milliamps current draw to fire the module, this allows the points last. The only maintenance is to lube the plunger or cam.

On my Mercury outboards I have duel point distributors that I use from donor motors. Mercury module and trigger $ 650 .00 vs $60.00 for GM conversion
Old 05-19-2016, 09:04:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,662 Times in 6,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnyQst View Post
Thank you for the clarification. My apologies for being overly sensitive.
Cheap, they aren't. The kit plus plunger & gasket are about $170. I've heard people pay almost $300 for everything. If it will make it start easier & run smoother, I think it will be worth it. Not happy about paying that much but less happy with the way it runs when it runs.
Thanks again & sorry for over reacting.
J
Don't worry about it. We say things like that all the time around here. Just trying to prepare you for the shock of some parts price. I just found a Kohler coil I have been looking for. Paid 20.00 bucks for one two years ago. This guy wants 185.00 dollars. Almost had another stroke.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:29:27 PM
Registered

Sorry Pnishr, up late & shouldn't have been messaging. Wife saw what I wrote & about knock me upside the head.
Ya Billy, I see what you guys were driving at. That kind of jump would give me a heart attack but I haven't been messing with this thing long enough to have a sticker shock of that magnitude. I came into the game with these prices.
The EIK I found is old stock from Onan. Guy says their new but just old bulk stock. I hate paying that much, I could use that money for something else, but I would like to finally have a RV with a good working generator. I brought this thing back from the dead but it didn't run good. I've seen posts online where guys explain how to finagle things. I need something resembling a lil more straight forward. Just hope it is.
Thanks guys. I'll try to let you know how it goes.
John
Old 05-19-2016, 01:45:53 PM
Registered-II

JnyQst ( Johnny Quest?), no worries dude. No offense taken. If you're seriously considering this route, pm me I am considering selling my kit.

Willie1959, OEM ignition modules generally don't step up primary voltage. CD kits & MSD's yes.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:12:01 PM
Registered-III

I remember on cars back in the 60s and 70s they used an electronic ignition modual to save the points helped out alot with increasing points life, But I think it had some issues, dirt in the points could cause problems. Think that's why they eventually went with sensor coil pickup.

I like the idea of a car modual and coil to sense magnets on flywheel. Can also use crank sensor coil from a car, or industrical eddy current sensor to trigger the modual , there are several options to trigger the modual.

Last edited by len k; 05-19-2016 at 02:30:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:13:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,662 Times in 6,429 Posts

JnyQst. Haven't you learned the first rule of being married. Never make the boss mad. You can get hurt by doing that.

Let us know how things work out.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:43:53 PM
Registered-I

just a post about different options . Car modules are cheap and plentiful. I have never had a problem with dirt on points. Crank triggers are the best but this is the easiest as we talking about 1800 rpm engines and parts in short supply or over priced.

If you want to play with 40 year old engines you have to be creative......
Old 05-26-2016, 12:54:11 AM
Registered-I

what about the kirks engines points saver module?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02:27 PM
Registered

I have a 6.5 nh I would like to upgrade the ignition to electronic, I know the old kits are like gold, so you mentioned another way. I'm a retired mechanic so I can handle any fabrication necessary.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2016, 10:52:45 PM
Registered-III

Can use car moduals.
Look at schematics ~ 75 % of way down the link.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/...ranktriggerkit