eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

At What Point Do You Bid?

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 10565 times

Old 02-15-2013, 07:29:09 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: At What Point Do You Bid?

you have minimum bidding increments, sounds like someone already bid 66, so the next bid would be 67. the .79 wasn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21:04 AM
Registered-III

Ryan, IWL is right, it's all about the increments. I don't know what the high bid was when you entered $66.79, was it $20, $30, $50, whatever? In any case, in the seconds it took you to bid, someones $65 bid was in effect, and the winner entered at least $67, before you bid, which put him in the lead at one increment over $65, or $66. If the winners max bid was $66.75 you would have won with $66.79 but we know it was over $67 because it asked you to bid at least one increment ($1 in the $25-$100 range) over the $66. You were just plain outbid! You say you entered your maximum bid, but you are frustrated that you didn't have time to enter a higher bid?
I agree with those who say to think about what your real high bid is going to be and enter it. If you get outbid by more than one increment you will never know what the winners max bid was anyhow since it is not disclosed. No sense complaining about being outbid by $.25, $1, $5, or whatever the increment is.
Sniping is fine as long as you are paying attention. I sell also and can't tell you how many emails I've gotten after an item ends. They go something like---"I had this on my watch list and was going to bid but missed the end of the auction. I would like to buy the item, will you relist it?" Sorry, that's not how it works with me.
Another common thing I see on bid histories is the winning bidder apparently wanting the item badly and entering more bids at the very end, nobody bids against him, and he wins for his first high bid. It always makes me wonder how much someone was willing to spend?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,632 Posts

In Ryan's case we know for certain that the winner's high proxy bid was $66. Otherwise, the winner would have had a winning bid of $67.79. That's why it was won for a lower bid amount. Incrementally, it didn't work out for Ryan. Sometimes adding odd change to your bid will get you the win by the skin of your teeth and sometimes it will backfire on you. It all depends on the current proxy bid and the actual dollars and change of the current high bid where you start bidding from. Sniping is always a gamble.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunn View Post
Another common thing I see on bid histories is the winning bidder apparently wanting the item badly and entering more bids at the very end, nobody bids against him, and he wins for his first high bid. It always makes me wonder how much someone was willing to spend?
That's called bid stacking and is an intimidation tactic. Doesn't scare me away because usually the bidder will place a bunch of minimum increment bids, and if that's the case, my snipe bid at the end will get the job done. If they do stack up some very high bids and I'm interested in the item, they will pay for it and the seller will make out.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12:54 PM
Registered-III

If I understand Ryan, his $66.79 bid was rejected because it was not one increment above current high bid of $66. If that's what happened then I still don't think we know for sure what the winners high proxy bid was? I guess it could have been $66. Ryan would have needed to bid at least $67 in any case and may have won or may have been outbid at that level too. I think!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,632 Posts

Every time I think about Ryan's bid I think of a different scenario that could have taken place. We really need to know what he saw as the high bid when he placed his bid. There also could have been a frenzy of snipe bids going on at the moment he was manually trying to place his snipe bid. That has happened to me before. By the time you type in your bid 2 or 3 more bids have been placed and yours is already too low.
I think if I could see the bid history of that auction I could see exactly what happened.
Ryan, what's the item number of the auction you lost?

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28:58 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Ryan, IWL is right, it's all about the increments. I don't know what the high bid was when you entered $66.79, was it $20, $30, $50, whatever? In any case, in the seconds it took you to bid, someones $65 bid was in effect, and the winner entered at least $67, before you bid, which put him in the lead at one increment over $65, or $66. If the winners max bid was $66.75 you would have won with $66.79 but we know it was over $67 because it asked you to bid at least one increment ($1 in the $25-$100 range) over the $66. You were just plain outbid! You say you entered your maximum bid, but you are frustrated that you didn't have time to enter a higher bid?
I agree, I got beaten by the bid increments. This is sort of an insurance policy for myself. I get a number in my head and put it in. I know I'll get caught in the moment, but before I get a chance to put something higher in, the auction is over.
Quote:
I agree with those who say to think about what your real high bid is going to be and enter it. If you get outbid by more than one increment you will never know what the winners max bid was anyhow since it is not disclosed. No sense complaining about being outbid by $.25, $1, $5, or whatever the increment is.
Amen!

The point I'm trying to make is that the other guy won the auction for less than what I bid. I think ebay is selling itself short with the minimum bid. Remember the movie Office Space when the guys skim the fractions of cents off the books?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
Every time I think about Ryan's bid I think of a different scenario that could have taken place. We really need to know what he saw as the high bid when he placed his bid. There also could have been a frenzy of snipe bids going on at the moment he was manually trying to place his snipe bid. That has happened to me before. By the time you type in your bid 2 or 3 more bids have been placed and yours is already too low.
I think if I could see the bid history of that auction I could see exactly what happened.
Ryan, what's the item number of the auction you lost?
This is exactly what happened. Link to auction. There were 2 other bids within 10 seconds of the auction close. I entered my bid with 20 seconds left when it was $51. Then the confirmation popup comes up. I wait to hit confirm with 8 seconds left to allow for my connection speed, etc. Since my bid was not the next increment, I did not even get a bid placed.

On a side note, why was I bidding on a cell phone screen? I was talking over what to do on this 1.5 hp IHC M with Dad and my 1.5 year old son started getting agitated so I pulled up a You Tube of Elmo for him to watch. It usually calms him down, but this time he slapped the phone out of my hand it and went lights out. Yes, I don't think it's right either to distract the kid with a movie. I wanted to finish the conversation with Dad and then he was going to bed. Modern parenting is probably not a topic to get into. I can see Craig's finger over the delete right now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Anderson For This Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34:38 PM
Registered-III

look at the bid history on the 5'' lunkenhiemer single note plain whistle with no valve. i changed my bid three times and was surprised how much this little tooter was cranking bids for, i was a little nervous but put a higher bid in at the and won. someone must of needed it nearly as bad as i did. the bibing history tells the story. now just waiting on the mail man.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30:59 PM
Registered

All this and no one mentioned bid blocker it happened to me 3 times in one week snipe bids always were a bad word but this new one sucks.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48:54 AM
Registered-I

Snipe is a complete waste of time, just bid at the last few seconds and beware of shill bidders i have exposed a few on ebay
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26:36 AM
Subscriber

I sell on ebay quite a bit & to me.......... the bid blocker CaseyS refers to is one of the BEST tools that SELLERS have available to them. I have about 10 bidders in my permanently blocked list, that I will never have trouble with again. The people that are in that list are the one's that I had trouble getting paid for items they bid on & those that I had to file a non paying bidder claim to get get my money. Now that a seller can't even leave negative feedback for non paying bidders,at least this is something that a seller can do to keep it from happening again with that bidder. Please note that I said BIDDER & not BUYER, as most of these just BID & not follow through & BUY. NOW to the main topic........"When to bid". As a seller I would say "Bid EARLY, Bid HIGH & Add to the bid As Needed" to win. As a buyer I usually place a small bid early to stop the item from selling with the "Buy it Now" if it has one & also a person can usually use the "1 click bid option" then. In such case I wait until the countdown is down to about the last 7 sec. & hit it with my MAX. amount I am willing to give.

Last edited by Doug Oldenburg; 09-18-2013 at 03:01:34 PM. Reason: More info.