Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Farmall 460 two point to three point hitch conversion, your thoughts?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 11758 times

Old 04-09-2011, 01:31:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,777 Posts
Default Farmall 460 two point to three point hitch conversion, your thoughts?

My tractor search is still on, most that are in price range I can live with have a 2 point hitch, and I want a 3 point hitch. Property was a salvage yard for years, and we lost quite a bit of steel out there, everytime I've mowed I find something new, lifting the brush hog is definatly faster than reversing, so I'd really prefer a 3 point hitch. Anyone have thoughts on the 3 point conversion kits?

Looked at a Farmall 460 today, gas engine straight 6, overall a bit rough, but priced right. Engine fired right up, drove tractor for a few minutes with no scary noises.Owner does not seem to know much about it, other than it has a hydraulic leak in hardline under seat. Did a bit of research on this model, seems it has a TA(Torque Amplifier) feature which can go bad and requires splitting case into 3 sections, not something I want to do. Don't think I need the TA feature, if its shot is there an easy fix/bypass of this feature.

Price is $800, figure worst case scenario I could part it out. Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47:05 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Farmall 460 two point to three point hitch conversion, your thoughts?

I have a 460 with the 2 point to 3 point conversion. For $800 you can't go wrong with a running tractor. My TA has been out for years. You can still run the tractor except you will only have 5 forward gears and one reverse. The conversion doesn't seem to work the best with a land plow but it does work. Every other type of 3 point equipment I haven't had a problem with.

Personally if it was up here I would buy it myself and I am not even looking for another tractor.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBdairy For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 12:54:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,303 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: Farmall 460 two point to three point hitch conversion, your thoughts?

I have a 460 as well, with a '3 point converstion'. It's not quite the same as a 'real' 3 point but it does get the job done OK. Hydralics tend to be a problem on these, but I rebuilt mine though and through and they have been strong and work well since. Some tractors have a 'tel-a-depth' which lets you push a lever to set the depth (set it all the way up to be up, all the way down to be down, halfway is half, etc), if this is broken parts are getting verrry hard to find, and it's often broke. Mine is working off one of the other remotes now. One other feature you get with a 460 is buying the tractor that killed IH-they had a problem with blowing out the rear end. Look for a punchmark on the SN# plate to see if the recall has been done...

Overall these are good tractors, and CNH still makes a lot of parts for these. And if you go to the website, the complete parts catalogs are online if you need to order something. $800 should be a steal! (I spent $750 on mine for just the power steering cylinder sleeve last year)

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45:56 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,256 Times in 2,763 Posts

The 460 wasn't the problem child, it was the 560 diesel that had the problem with the rear axle bearings. Theyhad to replace the ball bearing assy. with a much heavier special roller bearing assy. It seems that the higher horse power tractors would split the bearing race on the ball bearing and drop the axle assy and let the final drive gear rub thru the gear case. The 460 had considerably less power and didn't need the update, but you need to rember that these units are 50 years old and have had plenty of abuse, but all in all they held up very well. We have used these a lot over the years and are considerably better than a lot of others the same age, the T A can be a problem but as long as they still work with the lever forward don't worry about it, also be sure to have the lever in the forward position when going down hill as it can freewheel in the rearward position and could lead to a runaway and as the brakes on all I H C tractors of the period were very poor this could get you hurt if not careful. F J W
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 04:14:15 PM
Subscriber

Yes this 460 has the Tele-depth feature too, not sure if it, or any of the hydraulics work, owner says it spewed fluid all over then quit working, but he does not know where to add fluid, and I did not see a fill port either.

Thinking about going to look at Farmall 424, it has decent paint and much better tires than the 460, owner says everything works except hydraulics and power steering. Can hydraulic pumps be replaced on these tractors without splitting the case? We don't mind doing some work on a tractor to get it in shape to work, but I do not want to get into something that requires splitting a case. A bit of quick looking shows that a new pump for the 424 is approx $500 to $600
Old 04-09-2011, 05:54:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,303 Times in 845 Posts

i am sure the other tractor is similar, but the 460 pump just unbolts out the side of the tractor. the hose that goes from the pump to the steering boulster however, is solid gold. Farmall only makes 1 of 2 of the possible hoses used there, at 300 a pop. and there are almost NO shops left that can crimp a hose onto your fittings-liability. found out the hard way!

If i was you, or me again a few years ago on my tractor hunt, i would get one with a front end loader. A tractor is only as good as the implements, and a loader is sure sweet!! there are loaders floating about to fit the 460....but this is a 50 year old tractor now, so can be hard to find one closeby.

One other thing, not knowing how big/small/oddly shaped your place is, a 460 doesn't turn very tight, and if you have to make lots of circles and bends or have small pastures, whippin that 460 wheel around at about 6 turns lock-to-lock will tire ya out!! yes, you can turn it with the brakes, but it leaves a heck of a rut...

Best price i found on stock 460 tires was about 300 each on the rear, plus i think $50 or so each for the inner tube. Plus installation if you can't do it yourself. (it isn't THAT hard, but it's akward to work with)

One other bit of advice...it's best if you can do all the work on a tractor yourself. if you buy one that needs a lot of work, it's gonna cost you if you have to ship it to a shop or have them drive out, and if it's 50 years old.

Make sure the PTO turns OK, load it down if possible. I recently found out the same gear that turns the PTO also runs the hyrdo pump, and they were bad about the bolt getting loose and ruining the PTO gear, hydro pump gear, and the PTO driveshaft.

Robert

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Oh, farmall's offical tranny fluid adding spot was the plate next to the gearshift (looks like a mirror image to teh gear shift mount), you can also add it to the pipe plug on the left side of the tractor below the clutch pedal, this is the oil level plug. I'd change the fluid, they were bad about filling up with water when they live outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27:03 AM
Subscriber

Pardon the rambling thoughts, but here goes. First off, none of us has any experience with tractors or agriculture, we've got a few decent mechanics though. We need a tractor for several things, #1 is keeping the grass mowed, of course that does not explain our goal. The goal is a rally course on 13 acres, so we need a way to cut grass, maybe a disc-er, a post hole driller for fencing, and maybe whatever it takes to plant a crop. Of course in the pow-wow today someone suggested we just get a farmer and let him do it. If we just planted a crop every year, then cut a course through it, we could change the course at least every year, maybe more, and maybe get an ag exemption to help the tax rate. So how does that work, does a farmer pay me?, I pay him?, of course he'd have to understand we'd kill a good chunk of the crop. We're going to talk to the farmer down the road, I know he likes cars, and he's inquired about borrowing my loader.

We've got a loader, JD544B, don't use the bucket much, its the forklift, with a box blade that I pickup with forks for spreading gravel, and now I'm modifying a "Brush Boss" grubber to attach in place of forks for pulling mesquite. I've kept the loader running for 14 years, job tonight was rebuilding a steering cylinder, went to put it back together and pinched a seal, might order 2 more seals monday, just in case, lift cylinders, tilt cylinders and all the associated hoses are next. I think we could keep a tractor running

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Property is rectangular, road down the middle to get to house about halfway down and off to right side, one acre area in front covered in road base and warehouse, so maybe 11 acres available for crops/race track, so by harvest maybe 5 acres is usable, sounds like we'd be paying the farmer

Before you say it, insurance is covered, races would be timed events, only 1 car at a time. Main events would only be a few times a year, track would only be opened on weekends for pay to play fun, or anytime a few select friends are bored