Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Clean Energy

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 5240 times

Old 12-17-2016, 05:43:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Clean Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Hydro is great, it creates places for people to water ski, float party or house boats, and create way more fishing opportunities. With out it Vegas would still be a wide spot in the road if that.

Gosh who does not like to go up to the lake for a family vacation? Wind farm, great vacation opportunity, right up there with a solar farm in the desert?
Can be hard on the fish that need to travel upstream to spawn, however. Loss of spawning substrate leads to a decline in natural fish populations. And after the recent thread regarding farmed fish, well......
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2016, 06:14:51 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
Can be hard on the fish that need to travel upstream to spawn, however. Loss of spawning substrate leads to a decline in natural fish populations. And after the recent thread regarding farmed fish, well......
I do not see Dams causing the general decline in Salmon. We were up to our ears in them till the early 80's. Even rivers with no dams have small runs. Last Dam built on the Columbia was filled in '71. If it was the cause of decline, the fish would have slowed down around 75 to 76.

It is either the hormones and chemicals we are flushing down the drain, or over fishing in the ocean, not only for the salmon, but the food fish that mostly get ground up to feed those farm raised fish.

It is simple to blame dams and logging. We stopped logging in the 80's. As I said rivers with no dams have low fish stocks. If it was logging those rivers would have rebuilt by now.

So why no salmon in our rivers? Who knows. It is not just an Oregon problem.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:34:17 PM
Subscriber

Here's another perversely amusing way that birds can be taken out by alternative power...

http://www.popsci.com/solar-power-to...porizing-birds
Old 12-17-2016, 10:05:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,384 Times in 573 Posts

Maybe we should shut down those damned grain elevators & bread baking facilities too .. after all .. birds are birds & animals are animals ... right ? Why is it ok to kill the mice & rats ? What about the mussels, small fish & other aquatic life that gets sucked into the hydro intakes ? Where will this forking lunacy end ?!
I'm making my cardboard sign now ... & heading out to protest in front of the local bakery !

D-Girl posted this in another thread ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Ri0OmBKgM

Old 12-18-2016, 12:14:08 AM
Registered-III

Pigeons are not birds, they are pests. Grain elevators are therefor good.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52:11 AM
Registered-I

theyre trying to put some of these pieces of shit in around us here now. 600ft tall, 300ft bladespan. NO THANKS. the company trying to do it (APEX energy co) tried this in another county south of us and tried to do it quietly without people noticing until leases were already in place. the notices in the local paper were the size of 2 postage stamps side by side and mixed in with other bigger ads. They finally had to do a meeting about it last month and a lot of people showed up while the official from APEX dodged questions about the noise pollution and shadow flicker and only talked about the tax money for the county. keep in mind the setback for these things here is only 1600ft and thats from your front door, not the property line. if you bordered a property with one on it your compensation was about $1,000 a year but the lease holder got something close to $30,000 a year per turbine! these damn things kill your property values and most of the time the energy generated doesnt benefit the local area. theres some about 30 miles north of me that have a feeder line that goes to detroit- nearly 100 miles away! it also raised the local's power bills, so they have to live with these POS's and actually pay more.

they can take these things and shove them up their back door
Old 03-12-2017, 05:10:25 AM
Registered-I

The Greatest consumer of Oil is the Plastics Indstry, and how much of that ends up in Land fills every year.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,063 Posts

I have to say, the feral cat thing has helped me out a small bit here. A neighbor about a mile down the road has about 25 cats that roam. Of course they have spread. A old ragged tom cat hangs around here. Sleeps in my tractor seat at night. Them da-- tomato eating,battery terminal chewing, house eave chewing squirrels are declining in numbers!

I guess I am a bit sheltered. I have been around the old windmills that pumped water and it seems the bulk of the noise I heard was lack of lubrication on moving parts. Are these wind turbines not equipped with sealed bearings?

I can't help but wonder,do the same folks that protest a wind turbine also complain about a nuclear plant? Which is easier to clean up after? Chernobyl or a wind turbine?

As for the fish, A few years ago there was a little reported incident at McGuire nuclear plant in regards to it starting to overheat. The coolant water was not coming thru as it should. Turns out a screen the greeny weenies has begged for to prevent the little fishes from dyeing was clogged up with,you guessed it,little fishes. And it could have caused a catastrophe that would have killed all the little fishes and US! Damn the little fishes.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:59:50 PM
Subscriber

There are often unforseen consequences to man's acts. Doesn't mean we should just go back to riding horses for transportation and burning coal oil for light, though. We just need to keep working the bugs out and moving forward.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:49:23 PM
Registered-III

What gets me is the lie. Oil is bad and dirty. They say it so need to call any replacement 'clean'.

Anyone that has ever made anything knows there is a by product of making stuff. Anyone that has ever worked around the wafer manufacturing business knows they use some nasty stuff keeping it all clean so it ill work.

Call it what you want. Just don't lie about it.