Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Lister Petter AC1 with new injector, no fuel from injector

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 342 times

Old 09-11-2019, 01:07:16 AM
Registered

Default Lister Petter AC1 with new injector, no fuel from injector

I have a Lister Petter AC1 acquired from a friends estate.
I can get it running by spraying oil in the intake. I bought a brand new injector and installed it. I have fuel to the injector, in the return lines, every where it should be, but with the injector hooked up, but not installed in the head, there us no "flow" from the injector. I understand with the injector in the air, I should see a puff or fine mist as the injector fires. It's not there.
Does it take a while to prime a new injector, or do I not have enough fuel pressure, and how do I check?
Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47:37 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,265 Times in 363 Posts
Default Re: Lister Petter AC1 with new injector, no fuel from injector

It sounds like air in the system. Possibly in the pump even the minutest amount of air in the pump will cause it to not work. If everything is working properly you will get a puff with injector outside.

Merv.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36:44 AM
Registered

bleed pump at the bleed screw till fuel flows freely.then loosen line at the injector and turn engine till fuel flows freely and tighten line.it shoul now spray at the injector.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:18:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,230 Posts

Can you check the fuel pressure from the pump?
Or take the old injector in the check the pop off pressure checked.
But first rule out air in the system. That's the entire fuel system from tank to injector. Sometimes it does take quite a few turns to fully get the air out of the system with joints cracked open a smidge. It can get messy too.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44:19 PM
Registered

Are there any diagrams of where the bleed screws are located? I'm a fairly decent mechanic and I dont see anything resembling a bleed screw...
Old 09-12-2019, 05:02:52 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,265 Times in 363 Posts

I am not familiar with that model of Petter, but if has a Bryce pump it may not have a bleeder screw, then you may have to take the delivery valve out and work the pump manually, If there is the slightest sign of air coming up keep pumping until there are no very tiny air bubbles. As Scotty has said it can get messy. Some engines have a lever to work it, others you may have to remove a plate to get at it. for those I usually use a stick as a lever.

Once the pump is cleared of air crack the injector connection repeat the process then see if the injector will pop off. You say the pump was checked. If there is any sign of grey on the element there is a good chance it is no good, it should be shiny all over. I have had this happen and the correct element can be hard to find.

Merv
Old 09-12-2019, 01:41:31 PM
Registered

Sounds like the pump is gummed up just remove delivery valve and allow fuel to flow then clean the valve and seat. When stuck on site without another pump I used to use Brasso to lap valve in.

It worked some times.

Worth a try and cheap!

Jim