Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Water Wagon Questions

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 448 times

Old 03-30-2018, 10:21:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,644 Times in 786 Posts
Default Water Wagon Questions

My primary thread for this is in the steam section here.

But you horse folk can probably better answer the questions I pondered in post 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyIron
I bought a rough cut 2X6 of ash to remake the reach (the wood between the axels, a new term for me too), but was talking to a horse fellow about it, and he thought if it had a drawbar out the back, it would have more likely been a steel reach.

Not necessary, but I'd like to occasionally hook a thresh machine behind, if pulling with the steam engine. Will the wood be OK if I put a drawbar on the end? Would have that been an original configuration? The remnants of the end look like it had something there, but it's hard too tell.

What kind of paint/finish should I use on the reach, if any? Tempting to try Allback, but I've never used it before, and, looking at the website, that stuff isn't cheap!

Right now the tongue is set-up for tractor use, but it's certainly not the original. Likely a horse set-up at one time, but just a hunch based on the modified hounds [the angled hitch attachment; another new term to me!] on the existing tongue.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2018, 12:01:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,566 Posts
Default Re: Water Wagon Questions

Doug Engel of Engels coachworks just covered this subject on his youtube channel. Give it a looksee. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMgTlht-PsNniRIuaax4m8Q
Doc
Old 03-31-2018, 01:43:07 AM
Subscriber

Very neat videos!

I wonder though whether the setup for a threshing machine would have been more direct, like the drawbar on more modern wagons? Or was such arrangement, steam engine-water wagon-threshing machine, less common than I expect? In such arrangement how likely would have it been to hitch the water wagon to a team while the engine was belted to the machine?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:19:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,566 Posts

I myself couldn't say. I just thought the sort of reinforcements added to the wood drawbars would apply. Perhaps similar to connections used between multiple wagons, like the sheep wagon chassis he posted not long ago.
Doc
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33:24 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
I myself couldn't say. I just thought the sort of reinforcements added to the wood drawbars would apply. Perhaps similar to connections used between multiple wagons, like the sheep wagon chassis he posted not long ago.
Doc
If I found the right sheep wagon video, it looks like that was using the same chain & pelican hook arrangement for the pulling force, while the horn & bumper off the reach were for stopping and steering a stub tongue.

The way he made that horn though sure did give me some ideas for a drawbar instead. That is if there's not a drawback to putting a load through the reach.

One of the comments in the [second?] hitch video asked whether a drawbar would have been used on the reach, but further pondered whether the chain & pelican hook was a stronger arrangement - the reply was affirmative, but did not clarify whether applicable to both statements or if chain was the only option due to strength.