Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Salvage Yard Find

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 14600 times

Old 07-18-2008, 10:54:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts
Default Salvage Yard Find

Look what I found in a salvage yard today, while getting a part for my 1949 B JOHN DEERE tractor!

WESTON ENGINE CO., appears to be a very old return flue portable steam engine. Couldn't find any more information on engine or boiler.

DON WHITELON steam engine also appears to be very old. Couldn't find any castings or tags on the boiler or engine to indicate manufacturing company. Only the DON WHITELON name cast on the rear wheel hubs.

Both steam engines had single riveted lap seam boilers, indicating their very old . . . probably built in the late 1800's?

The large FARQUHAR portable steam engine had the name, A.B.FARQUHAR cast on the smokebox door . . . could barely make it out!

The steam chest cover had the following cast on it:
NAGLE ENGINE AND BOILER WORK.
ERIE, PA. #24720

The number 24720 was stamped on the cover . . . not cast.
It had a butt strap boiler. Engine had a Gardner 2" governor.

Maybe someone on SMOKSTAK has specifications, and other information on these steam engines?

Gary K

Last edited by Gary K; 07-18-2008 at 10:59:41 PM. Reason: Don Whitelon correction
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2008, 11:09:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,136 Times in 736 Posts
Default Re: Salvage Yard Find

This is a neat fine. As has been suggested many times before, there are still engines out there waiting to be discovered.

Thanks for sharing.

David
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10:34 PM
Registered

I found the following looks to be fairly early as you say, I need to go to junk yards with you more often since Ingersoll Rand ended up with the factory could it be tagged as such, looks to be from New York Heritage

Abijah Weston established a foundry and machine shop in Painted Post in 1848. The Weston Engine Works included about a dozen buildings on the north side of East Water Street in 1896, when it burned to the ground in Painted Post's most disastrous fire. Financial loses due to the fire caused the closing of the Weston Bank. For a time there was great apprehension about the rebuilding of the company, but by March 1887, the new Weston Engine Company was built. It now included acres of yards, a foundry, machine shop, pattern shop, brass foundry, and a number of smaller storage buildings. The new plant also boasted its own electric lighting plant and fire department.

Following Mr. Weston's death in 1898 the company closed its doors. The community was deeply concerned over rumors the company's equipment might be purchased and moved. Frederick W. Parsons, former resident of Painted Post, was then associated with the Rand Drill Company, which he notified of the availability of the Painted Post manufacturing facility. On December 28, 1898, news of the purchase of the Weston Plan by the Rand Drill Company was announced publicly, and Painted Post sighed in relief.

The new owners planned to build a specialty air compressor and to continue making Weston's Imperial Steam Engine. The new industry began with 125 employees in a plant with 3,375 square feet of floor space. The first compressor manufactured in the plant was shipped to the Union Pacific Railroad in Omaha, Nebraska, on November 24, 1899.

The business prospered and in 1900 enlarged its plant by adding a new building. In 1901 the Rand Brothers and associates who included F.W. Parsons organized the Imperial Pneumatic Tool Company at Athens, Pennsylvania.

The highlight of 1905 for Painted Post was the merger of the previously competitive Ingersoll-Sergeant Drill company and the Rand Drill Company, the merger bringing together two experienced and successful makers of drills and compressors. The pooling of their know-how and resources was to bring about great advances in the design and production of rock drills and compressors. At this time the firm had eighteen foreign sales offices. In 1908 the Tarrytown Plant of the old Rand Drill Company moved to Painted Post. The Corning area had added a giant industry to its economy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn Gieszler For This Post:
Old 07-18-2008, 11:18:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,029 Posts

I like oddball engine.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26:36 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,296 Times in 734 Posts

I seen that 1st portable in there 3 or 4 years ago, neat little engine on there
he had a N&S boiler with engine in there but it must be sold now. asking prices were way to high for lawn ornament stuff. and single row of rivits = Do Not fire up.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35:40 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,029 Posts

Single row rivets can be used for air compressed engine running.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:19:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Look what I found in a salvage yard today, while getting a part for my 1949 B JOHN DEERE tractor!

WESTON ENGINE CO., appears to be a very old return flue portable steam engine. Couldn't find any more information on engine or boiler.

DON WHITELON steam engine also appears to be very old. Couldn't find any castings or tags on the boiler or engine to indicate manufacturing company. Only the DON WHITELON name cast on the rear wheel hubs.

Both steam engines had single riveted lap seam boilers, indicating their very old . . . probably built in the late 1800's?

The large FARQUHAR portable steam engine had the name, A.B.FARQUHAR cast on the smokebox door . . . could barely make it out!

The steam chest cover had the following cast on it:
NAGLE ENGINE AND BOILER WORK.
ERIE, PA. #24720

The number 24720 was stamped on the cover . . . not cast.
It had a butt strap boiler. Engine had a Gardner 2" governor.

Maybe someone on SMOKSTAK has specifications, and other information on these steam engines?

Gary K
The second picture looks like a George White, "wet-back" return-flue. I have one here that I am in the process of building a new boiler for it. There was also a traction engine version that appeared to use the same boiler and cylinder.

Did you get a look at the exhaust nozzle? They have pictures in the literature of an interesting by-pass valve on the exhaust nozzle.

Jeff Lund
Lund Machine Works
The Following User Says Thank You to LundMachineWorks For This Post:
Old 07-19-2008, 07:17:48 AM
Registered

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Jeff: I believe you are correct, as the yard had [has] a Geo. White listed on their website. I have both a late 1800's and a 1901 catalogue in my collection, but sadly they are not scanned.

Robert
Old 07-19-2008, 09:32:21 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,988 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Since these are in a salvage yard are they for sale and have you made an offer?

Dan
Old 07-19-2008, 12:27:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,296 Times in 734 Posts

Dan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I seen that 1st portable in there 3 or 4 years ago, neat little engine on there
asking prices were way to high for lawn ornament stuff.
They're available for a pretty penny. thats why the're still there. somehting like 2500 for that Weston in think?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:34:50 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Did you get a look at the exhaust nozzle? They have pictures in the literature of an interesting by-pass valve on the exhaust nozzle.

Jeff Lund
Lund Machine Works
Jeff: I didn't look at the exhaust of that steam engine, as I paid for my part and loaded it in my Volkswagen diesel pickup truck, grabbed my camera, and started shooting pictures . . . 110 shots worth!

Any collector looking for tractors, gas engines, and parts, I'd suggest checking them out. The majority of tractor's were; JOHN DEERE, McCORMICK-DEERING (INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER), and CASE. They had quite a few crossmount CASE's and a few MINNEAPOLIS, there were FORDSON's, SILVER KING, CATERPILLAR, HART PARR . . . even the remains of an OIL PULL RUMELY, and I seen lots of OIL PULL RUMELY parts in a shed. You should have seen all of the steel wheels outside . . . row after row of them. Also wheel weights and rims. All kinds of odd-ball gas engines. Several sheds packed with all kinds of parts . . . I never seen so many lubricators of the ratchet type, and magnetos! There were restored tractors too, mainly JOHN DEERE & McCORMICK's, even though there was a huge old CASE gas tractor beautifully restored. I don't know the size, but it's built similar to the OIL PULL's? He even had a restored MODEL T FORD roadster!

Quote:
Since these are in a salvage yard are they for sale and have you made an offer?

Dan

Dan: I never asked the prices of the steam engines, as the women left for dinner, and the young fellow holding down the fort had telephones ringing off the wall. If you're interested in anything, click on their website link below, and contact them either by phone or e-mail.

Biewer's Tractor and Machinery Salvage, Inc.
16242 140th Avenue South
Barnesville, MN. 56514
Phone (218) 493-4696 Fax (218) 493-4628
Free Parts Locating Hotline
www.salvagetractors.com

Gary K
Old 07-19-2008, 01:44:52 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
They're available for a pretty penny. thats why the're still there. somehting like 2500 for that Weston in think?
Colin
I was looking at my photos, and noticed it was written on the stack part of the smokebox on the WESTON steam engine; SOLD DB.

The WESTON steam engine has a variable expansion governor . . . notice the mechanism inside the flywheel, and the connection to the eccentric in these 2 photos.

The engine must of had a balanced valve, otherwise it'd interfere with the governing action . . . wouldn't it?

How well did that type of variable expansion governor work, as when the cut-off is shortened, the compression naturally rises, as it doesn't have separate exhaust valves like a CORLISS?

Gary K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weston Engine Co. (1).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	36187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weston Engine Co. (2).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	36190