Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Propane tank/air pressure

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4443 times

Old 06-29-2004, 02:29:46 PM
ihorse

Default Propane tank/air pressure

I have a couple of older Propane tanks--the ones they call 100pounders--they are ok--just out of date for the [gov't valve regulations]i want to use them to store air pressure-the question is---how much pressure would be reasonable??? thanks d,j,
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2004, 02:38:53 PM
William

Default Re: Propane tank/air pressure

I have one of those tanks I use for a compressor tank. I have my switch set to cut off at 120 psi. After about 25 years I haven't had any problems. I don't think I would pump much more pressure than that, because those tanks are not as heavy made as the compressor tanks.

William
Old 06-29-2004, 04:01:19 PM
Jerry Logan

Propane is at 120 psi
Old 06-29-2004, 05:38:23 PM
Ken Majeski

Propane pressure depends on Temperature. The higher the temp the more pressure you have. Propane will Boil at about 40 Below fairenheit... If it gets real cold up here Propane pressure can get so low you have No Heat. What amuses me is people are afraid of Steam Engines and air tanks but have a 1000 Gal Bomb sitting by their bedroom window... I would geuss the relief valve on Propane tanks is set at something over 200 PSI. I used one at 125 PSI for many years.... As with any tank with moisture in it you should UT or inspect it every few years....
Old 06-29-2004, 07:02:25 PM
Andre' Blanchard

A propane tank works just like a boiler, would say a propane tank is a boiler. Here is are some links to some info on propane.

http://www.weldingsupply.net/propane.htm

http://www.altenergy.com/propaned.htm

Looks like at 110°F a tank of 100% propane would be at 220psi and the critical point is 206.3°F at 618.7psia.

I know a guy that had a 500 gallon tank filled, they over filled it from a truck that had been sitting in a cool spot. When the sun hit the tank and the relief valve opened up there was foam running down the side of the tank, the pucker factor was real high for a time.

Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:38:16 PM
Andrew Mackey

Liquid Propane expands 5% for every degree F of rise, it is recommended that a tank not be filled more than 80% of capacity, to allow for expansion. Nominal pressure is 120# PSIG. The biggest problem using these tanks for air, is the condensation that will remain in the tank, and rust it. Typically, the wall thickness is about 1/8" vs 1/4" to 3/8" for a proper air tank.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13:22 PM
Kid Dynamo

Hi D.J.- Propane tanks aren't the greatest for receivers but if I were going to use one for that, I would mount it upside down, tank opening down, after removing the tank valve.

In addition, I would incorporate a drop leg of some volume that was, again, straight down from the tank inlet. I would probably mount a cross-tee or at least a tee at the tank with my drop leg beneath that. Then put a blowdown valve at the extreme bottom of the drop leg to allow you to blow off any moisture.

The idea is to not allow the condensed water (which you WILL have) to stay in the tank and to have a place for some certain amount of this water to accumulate and still not enter the tank, and a way to easily and frequently get rid of it.

Any good air system has blowdown valves at the low spots of the pipework, as well. Propane tanks don't seem like they would tolerate moisture for any length of time without rusting.

If I had your money, I would just buy a A.S.M.E. approved tank, plumb it properly and not monkey around. You still have to follow good air system piping practices to avoid premature failure from moisture.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:16:06 PM
Vernon

Considering many of us used the old freon jugs for portable air tanks, (yes I know this is a no no), without any problems, you shouldn't have any problem either as long as you can get the moister out.