Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Comcast Cable Options

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2282 times

Old 12-20-2017, 09:46:31 AM
Subscriber

Default Comcast Cable Options

we are basically handcuffed to this company unless you switch to satellite or dish or something like sling tv or whatever those other options are.

we have something called tripple play, tv, landline and computer. same deal up up up .its over 200.00 a month for the 3, would do away with the landline, but wife says NO.

we really just need computer,and basic tv, but we do watch GOOD tv shows, and some sports, nat geo, stuff like that.

my son says switch to just basic cable, no landline, and he has netflix. also pays for quicker internet (says mine is worthless barley can get phone to load when he is here) my download speed is 13.73 and upload is 10.21 they claim i am the farthest from something called a hub???? i told them then i should be paying rock bottom price, they wont budge.

anyhow any computer people have any suggestions on either ditching comcast or going w/something like my son has. they also keep advertising a promo price for new customers which i was thinking of just changing to my wifes name to get the deal.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 11:39:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,922 Times in 2,317 Posts
Default Re: comcast cable options

It in a sense doesn't matter which carrier you have as they all are masters at ratcheting the bill up. I'm on ATT Uverse for cable, internet @ ~20 mbps, and land line.

The bill routinely goes up to $220/month then I get on the phone and bitch about it. I used to have a higher level of programs but have cut back to basic cable and limited land line. Now it's down to $150 of course with added taxes, magical fees, and sur charges netting a bill around $175. They always want to switch customers to Direct TV satellite as they want to and will get rid of all the cables and the associated maintenance costs. I tell them that I had DTV and when a storm comes it quits. They keep pushing it and sooner or later we all will have to switch to sat.

Spectrum, (the old Time Warner) is offering deals but within a year you'll be back over $200.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 11:43:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,085 Times in 512 Posts
Default Re: comcast cable options

You/we are all hooked! Just like the drug addict , you have to pay for your next fix. They have you hooked because you/we can't live with that social connection.I can tell you and I can tell the drug addict to stop doing what you are doing and sit down and read a good book. Think that will work? Ha Ha. I lived in the days when we had Radio , no TV , no phone , no internet. I think that people were more content then. Ron
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 02:53:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,006 Times in 661 Posts
Default Re: Comcast Cable Options

If you speak with someone from your provider, mention the word "cancel" - they should bump you up to a higher-level rep with more power to deal. If you've had them for years, they should give you a break.

They are all the same though - you only really "save" money for the first year, then they whack you for the 2nd year After the full term they should drop the price to the monthly average cost.... But they don't, unless you threaten them. They'll try to sell you more services instead, so you have to be strong

There are plenty of options for IP-based "landline" services, video streaming, etc., which could all go up in price if your ISP shakes them down for equal access. But there should also be some interesting bundles coming along, too, including wireless.

Last edited by gnucklehead; 12-20-2017 at 03:29:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,922 Times in 2,317 Posts

G, they rely on the fact that you'll accept the bill as you're hooked!
The longer you are a customer the more they can jack you up as they know you won't dump them.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 04:33:56 PM
Registered-II

I am a bit mystified how anyone could be conned into paying for something that was at one time FREE for all to enjoy (or hate). I've never paid for TV but I sympathize on the other fronts, internet and phone.

I've always lived where there are plenty of TV stations available to watch with no more investment than an old coat hanger and a curb find TV. But now I am considering moving to an area where I am told there is NO on air TV available. My friends tell me that there is some way of watching TV programs via the internet. Not sure how that works but you may want to look into that. I've thought about it a bit and have come to the conclusion that I really look forward to not having any TV. Try it, you may like it. It's not like I will miss anything. The only commercial TV I can recall watching during the past several years was the Kentucky Derby. I might watch a business program occasionally or some cooking shows around supper time. I can live without those, I think.

I've never had much luck with demanding that price hikes be rescinded. I think that is because I always have the cheapest service, just basic phone and extra slow internet. They want to get rid of people like me and replace me with folks who will hand over their paycheck for expensive options. If I say I will quit if they don't adjust their prices they just say, "Good. Go ahead."

So good luck with your quest to find cheaper TV. But in closing let me make two small suggestions. You say you are paying $200/mo for the TV etc. Think about what you could do with that money if the TV was gone. But hey it's only money and money is easily come by. Now consider the TIME lost in front of the idiot box. Time is truly a priceless commodity because no one I know is making any more. Think what you could do with those hours wasted in front of the "Tonight Show" or whatever people watch nowadays. Then decide what you are going to do.

Oh, one last thing. The last time I made a change from real copper wire phone and dsl to a cable-based phone and internet, I learned that, despite the sellers' comments to the contrary, that the internet based phone service is NOT a primary phone, as the phone goes out when the electrical power is lost. So if a wire gets knocked down in the back yard I can't even call the electric company or 911 to let them know. If I move I will have to consider for the first time getting a portable hand phone as I do not want to lose my 911 calling ability when the power goes out. I hate it, but it's an indisputable fact that technology leaves us few if any GOOD choices so we have to stir through the noxious soup of not good to find the least toxic options.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:19:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap;
my son says switch to just basic cable, no landline, and he has netflix. also pays for quicker internet (says mine is worthless barley can get phone to load when he is here) my download speed is 13.73 and upload is 10.21

Your son is right!

I used to have cable. 60 down, 50 up.
Switched to fiber. They say 100 up or down. I verified it via speedtest.com.

13 is a joke. You need at least in 20's to stream movies with Hulu, Netflix, etc.

I agree with your comments on copper. I am a member of Office of emergency management, so keep copper, as it is the only thing that works when the power goes out.

Cable kept going up every year. I would talk to them, get transferred to customer retention, and get a good price for another year. Last year they would not drop below $65/ month for cable, so I switched to fiber. I negotiated a senior discount, and pay a bit under $50/month for copper wire phone and cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 06:33:25 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
13 is a joke. You need at least in 20's to stream movies with Hulu, Netflix, etc.
I live too far off the main road for the cable company to hook me up, was quoted $8K to run cable to my house. So my only option is dsl over copper wire - 12mbps on a good day. It is plenty fast enough to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or any of the other streaming services out there.

Sure do miss my old Time Warner turbo high speed internet though. 60mbps and reliable for only $40/mo. I pay $60 for the lesser dsl but my only other option is satellite. That is faster but we exceed the data cap by at least 4x each month and dang that would add up!

As for teli, I cancelled cable tv years ago when I got a Roku box. Maybe it's because we watch less than an hour per day but haven't missed having cable tv at all. There hasn't been anything we wanted to watch that we couldn't find thru a streaming service or the internet.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:24:34 AM
Subscriber

thanks for the reply's, im going to have my son bring his box over to see the speed and see what channels he has, (compared to mine) and then have him do his Netflix thing and see what the wife thinks.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:57:20 PM
Registered-II

There are several online speed check sites that will tell you download and upload speeds after a quick test. Google "speed check". Some will allow you to check speed from different locations.

Bob
WB8NQW