Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Another Restoration Project Started

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 3324 times

Old 04-20-2018, 10:08:05 AM
Registered

Default Another Restoration Project Started

Hello to all. Started working on a 28 Boyer fire truck that was the first motorized pumper for the volunteer fire department I'm on Last September. It took about a month to get started, but only on 5 of 6 cylinders. Pulled the head and found #2 cylinder has a crack and runs to exhaust valve. Working on getting it torn down so I can get it to the machine shop to have fixed.
Was able to get the original file on the truck since we purchased it used. It's going to take some time to get it done since we are going to fund by donations only.
Will keep all of you informed on progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	308675  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,934 Posts
Default Re: Another restoration project started

Visually it looks good,so is it just mechanical restore or the whole truck paint and all?
No telling how many hours that thing pumped water wide open and the engine heat could a fried 2 dozen eggs on the cylinder head. Our old Ford pumper would get hot at night and the manifolds would be glowing under the cab ,looked eerie under there.

I know this is a odd question but could you post a close up of the seat? I bought a seat for 1 of my projects and it looks similar.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:53:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Another Restoration Project Started

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ftruck.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	309274  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07:33 AM
Registered

Views:	345
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	308779I've rebuilt many engines in my life from small to big. I've never seen an engine that the Pistons/rod assembly wouldn't pass through the cylinder. The rod end is too big. Has anyone else seen this. Had to take rod loose and push Pistons out so I could take rings off. Then reconnect rods, then repeat. Was then able to remove the block from the crankcase. Took about 5 hours
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,681 Times in 1,155 Posts

The overhead cam six in my 1935 MG Magnette engine is like that. You have to disconnect the rod from the crank and push it up in the cylinder bore, 'til the piston comes out the top. The wrist pins will just clear the top of the block. Then remove the aluminum buttons from the ends of the wrist pins and push them out. You can then lift off the piston and then remove the rod out the bottom. I think most of the 30's MG engines were this way. Assembly is obviously the reverse.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:23:35 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I overhauled another British car (not an MG) back in the late '50's that was the same way. What was supposed to be a simple job turned out to be a challenge.

Add to that the fact that it had Whitworth fasteners and the only tools I had were a Crescent wrench and a cast iron end wrench I filed to fit some of the bolts.

Some of the engines I've designed and built are the same way. Idiot engineer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 07:29:30 PM
Registered

I got the front engine mount installed last night. I needed to check the alinement front to back. So I mounted the radiator and firewall. The next thing to check is the hood alinement, but that will have to wait until Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	48
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	338095  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:00:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,275 Times in 697 Posts

It looks like the engine is made for it. What did you have to do for the rear mounts?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:51:27 AM
Registered

I used some half inch plate to make a f shaped bracket to connect from the frame to the factory rear mount. I'll have to take a picture and post it
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17:29 PM
Registered

Well after a short work week and then some time off camping and a little fishing with the family for the holiday. Another long and hot work week, I was able to get a working brake pedal. Still have some work on the clutch. Also I was able to plumb up the radiator. I filled it and it holds about 10 gallons. Fired up the rd450 to see if the cooling system would work with the engine ( a non pressure system) or would I have to change to pressure system. After about 30 mins, I checked the temp at the engine at 164 and at the radiator outlet at 84. That was a pleasant surprise to see those temps. This was only at an idle and not under a load, but I believe my worries about the cooling system are over
Old 07-13-2019, 11:05:33 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like it's almost joy riding time and you can enjoy the results of the hard work. I hope you are keeping all the old pieces so as money/parts can be found some day it can be returned to original?.
Nathan.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:01:05 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbie View Post
Well after a short work week and then some time off camping and a little fishing with the family for the holiday. Another long and hot work week, I was able to get a working brake pedal. Still have some work on the clutch. Also I was able to plumb up the radiator. I filled it and it holds about 10 gallons. Fired up the rd450 to see if the cooling system would work with the engine ( a non pressure system) or would I have to change to pressure system. After about 30 mins, I checked the temp at the engine at 164 and at the radiator outlet at 84. That was a pleasant surprise to see those temps. This was only at an idle and not under a load, but I believe my worries about the cooling system are over
10 Gal is about what my Semi's with 855 Cummins and Cat 3406's hold, you should have no problems, as I stated before, with keeping that cool, as long as the radiator is in good shape.