Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Bridge Port Milling machine collet holder

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2741 times

Old 02-24-2019, 09:20:34 AM
Registered

Default Re: Bridge Port Milling machine collet holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Oberholtzer View Post
Any body have a source to find a manual for the mill?
You can try Keith Ruckers website. There are a bunch of Bridgeport manuals there.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgI...l.aspx?id=2099

Jim in Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30:04 PM
Subscriber

A follow up on the changing of collet holder and collets. The #32 collet and holder fit up great and makes the machined surface much better. I used the suggestion from a fellow machinist to buy separate nuts for each collet, this speeds up in changing the collet,. changing them is tricky because they slide in on a slight angle.
Still unable to find a electrician to install the VFD.
Doing my homework on the manual for the mill, next on my list. Thanks all for the feed back.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:42:21 AM
Subscriber

Don: You might be able to find a member near you from the Machinist Forum who can help you wire up the VFD yourself. That is if you are comfortable doing it that way. I bought a Hitachi for my lathe and I wired it all up myself, but when it came time to power it up, I could not get anything out of it. The VFD would come on but no output power out of it. I have a friend who is a machinist and much younger than me. He is more well versed with the newer stuff and he said it was wired correctly, but he could not get it to work either. He called Hitachi tech service and they gave him a code. As soon as he entered that code, the unit came online and works perfectly. If you want, I can do a post at the Machinist Forum to see if a member there can help you. Or you could join yourself. Let me know.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:27:32 PM
Subscriber

My search is over, A electrician will be here next wk to give me a est on installing a VFD unit. He would quote me the brand he is familiar with due to the programing after the unit is installed. What happens if you have a power outage, do you need to have the unit re programed ? This would be a concern to me , we have power outages more than usual. Does any body have problems with reprograming due to power failures? I Had good luck on fining a manual, I emailed the company in England and also found the same manual here in the states, I will follow up on the one in the states due to money exchange. Thanks for all the corresponds it is a help.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:17:44 AM
Subscriber

Don: I have had my VFD for about 8 yrs. and have lost power several times over that period and have never had any trouble with it working properly due to the outages. You will be pleased with it. I should have done it with my Bridgeport. I could have saved myself some money. I purchased a motor kit from H&W Machine. Even with that kit, I had to bore out the old motor pulley a little bit and recut the keyway slot to mount the new motor on the machine. I did sell the old motor for 100.00 so I recovered some of the cost. I will say the kit does work nicely though. But on low horsepower equipment, you can't beat powering it with a VFD setup. Once you get over 3HP, then the VFD's start to get pricey.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:17:32 PM
Subscriber

With the selection made on the VFD and a replacement motor, I was asked if I was going to use the menu on the VFD to run the mill. I am open to suggestions on the good and bad by using it. What are the choices to be made?