Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

What was used Before K&T Wire?

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 2756 times

Old 07-28-2019, 09:48:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Re: What was used Before K&T Wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
Ok Keith, To prove I am a complete nut, I will share my newest project idea.

Remember those Jenga blocks game sets? They happen to be of the right size for insulator blocks.

I recently ran across ceramic tubing from a UK supplier. http://www.precision-ceramics.co.uk/...th-ends-tubes/

I'm thinking about drilling two holes through the Jenga blocks and inserting ceramic tubes to hold bare soft iron wire for a DC circuit to power up a light bulb. My other choice would be bare copper wire. But, the soft annealed iron wire has that vintage look to it. I just need to find something like boot laces, but treated with tar or something to insulate the wires as they pass into a J box or fixture. V would be 12v DC.

See, I said I was a mad scientist!

Robert
Those ceramic tubes are different than the K&T I have seen. One end of the ones I have seen (I kept 1) have a tapered bulb- looks sort of like a penis with an oversize hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2019, 11:28:20 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,900 Times in 842 Posts
Default Re: What was used Before K&T Wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Those ceramic tubes are different than the K&T I have seen. One end of the ones I have seen (I kept 1) have a tapered bulb- looks sort of like a penis with an oversize hole.
Hmm, I thought I deleted that message? I guess someone was in the mist of responding.

I wasn't thinking about duplicating K&T, But rather bare iron wires running through the ceramic tubes. Not really based on anything from the real world. Just something really old and vintage looking for my own amusement. Actually something similar was featured on an episode "Escape from Experiment Island" A show on TLC about 20 years ago.

Robert