Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Generator Parts and Frequently Asked Guestions

this thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 24037 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Generator parts and frequently asked questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh View Post
to make the whole bonding issue simple.........
correct bonding makes it impossible for a point of failure in the return path to create a hazardous condition.

]
OK, to a layman, I am haveing trouble following this. I know your not supposed to have more then one bond point.... But, again to a layman, when you open your breaker panel in your house, you see all the nuterals and grounds tied to the same strip. I'm haveing trouble grasping the concept that more is worse then one. If the gen was grounded, the house or other end user grounded with a seperate ground rod, why is this more dangerous then a single ground point with both the nuteral and grounds connected? If I understand why it helps make sure I do it right all the time.
It seams with a single bonding point, a single failure would lead to no grounding and a "floating" nuteral... Am I wrong?
A transfer sw without a nuteral switch could back feed the grid if the ground is lost (do I at least have this correct?) and as such nuterals should be disconnected from the grid when back up power is used... But why the issue of a single bond point?
HELP!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cornbinder89 For This Post: