Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Predator Generators

this thread has 168 replies and has been viewed 118614 times

Old 07-05-2019, 05:41:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts
Default Re: Predator Generators

Based on the 4 five gallon pails full of dead carbs in my shop I think a good cause would be the carb needle sticking and flooding the cylinder causing the hydro lock. Or maybe the end bearing on the generator seized up.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
Based on the 4 five gallon pails full of dead carbs in my shop I think a good cause would be the carb needle sticking and flooding the cylinder causing the hydro lock. Or maybe the end bearing on the generator seized up.
Thank you for suggestion, but have pretty much eliminated hydrolock as a possibility. Generator was run dry. Fuel poured in tank and rope pulled. Turned over a few revs, then locked solid. Not enough time to develop hydro lock between pulls.

More likely is something like my drain magnet getting loose inside and sudenly jaming in cam drive gear. Next possible.... rotor lamination broke and suddenly shifted locking rotor to armature.

Just guessing at the moment though.
Doc
Old 07-06-2019, 01:03:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

If you remove the rewind can you spin it backwards??
Old 07-06-2019, 01:42:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,054 Posts

Without a rod thru the block, it probably has some more life, even if it just as a parts donor

Machinery is funny the way it fails, was mowing (tall) grass a few days ago and found some lost cones, but everything kept working so I kept mowing. Started it up yesterday and tried to mow, but it no mow, shear bolt was missing on input to pto
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,900 Times in 842 Posts

Doc, This is very interesting. I wish we could get a autopsy video or still picture post as each part is dismantled.

The genset Steve gave me has rusted, unavailable stator bolts. I decided to snap them and use threaded rod to put it back together. I wanted that end bell bearing to be well greased. If they lock, The damage is usually always fatal to the generator end.

Robert
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

Okay folks, here is facts on bound up Predator gen. Handyman says he was able to turn motor backwards, which curred bind. So likely chunk of something binding in crank to cam gears. He said it had also picked up a knock. So my thinking is a piece of rod bearing cap broke off and got up into gears. He will watch drained oil for chunks. With rod knock that pretty much retires engine. I'll keep it around as a backup, or sell it off for like $100 with a full disclosure to any buyer.
He did verify it wasn't my drain plug magnet, so busted rod cap is about only thing I ca think of where binding chunk came from. That is supported by sudden knock sound.
Doc

UPDATE: Final hour reading 5564.6

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 07-12-2019 at 12:30:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:59:02 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,178 Times in 756 Posts

Maybe parts from the decompression mechanism
Made of plastic on some cloners, not sure on the predator..
I'd say you got your $$'s worth out of it.

Add: Generator version should be metal, still a possible (probable, I'd say) source of loose bits.

Last edited by gnucklehead; 07-09-2019 at 01:40:21 PM. Reason: add last line
Old 07-09-2019, 06:05:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,154 Times in 871 Posts

I think ..........................................
If it locked up on "Starting rotation" ... but it would then turn the other way ..............
I'd be looking for something on top of the peeeston.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:21:07 PM
Email NOT Working

I had an abused Honda once that would lock on forward slow rotation but spin backwards fine. Not locked up all at once but a little bit like overwinding a clock spring. Since we did not care much about it I spun it with a drill motor on the crankshaft nut and forced the thing to start! Then I gave it back to the guy and he never complained. But I don't know if he used it much either.

After further experiences I now believe it may have been a ball bearing going bad. Probably the end bell bearing. But we will never know for sure. But I did have a CCK do the same thing and was able to fix it with an end bell bearing.