Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

What do you know about this Hobart TIG welder ?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 5307 times

Old 11-25-2013, 01:28:59 AM
Registered

Default What do you know about this Hobart TIG welder ?

does anybody know what year this welder is or do you have any info about it ?

the model is a TD-301

it works pretty good for stick welding but i have none of the extras for TIG welding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reload OCT again 2046.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	180297   Click image for larger version

Name:	reload OCT again 2047.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	180298  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 08:21:41 AM
Registered

Default Re: What do you know about this Hobart TIG welder ?

Back when that was made TIG wasn't called TIG and there was only one company that held the grip on the TIG market It was called Heli-arc welding by Lincoln and used only helium as a shielding gas. The pther problem will be if it hasn't been used in years it is liable to burn out the windings when the juice is put to it. moisture and all types of stuff from critters will have accumulated in side its working.
The last Item is the unit is from a day when electricity was cheap, it is beyond in-efficient you can watch the meter spin at a rate you haven't seen before!

Here is a site that has most of the welders and plasma cutters reviewed, some of these you will have never heard of and are made by a few of the off shore companies no matter what name and color the box is.
Product-Comparisons/-Reviews welders, plasmas

You will have better luck if you, go to the source. Iding it http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/forum.php
If you want to buy it, if it costs more that $50.00 dollars forget it You can buy a complete inverter unit with the accessories and plug in dual voltage unit for what it will cost to locate and get the plug foot switch and torch for the old unit not to mention the regulator, solenoid etc.

Last edited by PTSideshow; 11-25-2013 at 08:36:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:48:10 PM
Registered

@ PTSideshow

you sound like a salesman for the made in china machines from the site you linked

old machine or new, they all use the same amount of electricity because they are still made the same way, transformer rectifier and an inverter will not produce AC current

i have seen new "home cheapo" machines like you speak of burn out in less than 5 min. if they even work at all. so if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

HELI-ARC is a trade mark of LINDE no Lincoln
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13:30 PM
Registered

No I'm just a member of the forum, I own a Miller Dynasty 200DX

And if you think that old pile will be as efficient, as a newer inverter. Or you will be able to find parts for it.

And you may want to look up the definition of a forum!

Just remember that Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Esab, all have products produced in the last ten years over seas.

My points of finding the parts is still valid if you don't have them for the power supply.

I could have been given the wrong info on information on the term Heli-arc.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:50:08 AM
Registered

try to TIG weld aluminum with an inverter, how does it work ?

i own a Lincoln square wave TIG 275 just like this one
http://ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Squarewave-275-Tig-Stick-Welder-AC-DC-Benard-Torch-Cooler-Amptrol-1-Ph-/231103384491

inverters only produce DC current

look at those old Lincoln TIG 300/300 machines, they can run at 250 amps all day long for 40 years and they are still working without a problem, try that with a cheapo miller
i owned a small miller TIG machine and the amperage would go up and down all the time, worst machine i ever had.
i own a Lincoln invertec v300, it works well but has limits too and the amount of electric a machine uses is nothing, if it was a motor generator then it would use a lot but transformers use not enough to matter.

my old pile has a 60% duty cycle @ 300 amps. what is your 300 amp duty cycle ?
you are comparing a toy to a real welder. its like comparing a miller bobcat to a Lincoln SA-200, there is no comparison. i have run several miller lawnmower engine welders like the trailblazer and bobcat and they are toys compared to any of my 5 SA-200s. but all are rated at 200 amps. when you see your blue machines puking their guts out you will learn the difference.
check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGuCw8Wj2SE
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04:15 PM
Registered

Ding Ding

In this corner we have obsolete monsters capable of doing anything stated on the sticker including duty cycle at near 100%. But are very large and difficult to move around and have low amperage limits, but are incredibly reliable.

In this corner we have light weight digital units capable of doing exactly what the builder states that they can do with duty cycles that are less than the older units. These units have so many custom options that it can be intimidating, however the welding styles are almost limitless.

I learned how to on a 50 year old P&H Ac/Dc unit. I still have that big old monster.

But i learned how to produce quality welds for a broad range of applications using a lincoln square wave 250 welder with high frequency and options like soft start, post flow and pre flow. Things like a pulse are great options but not necessarily needed. Things like A/C balance controls make this machine my favorite machine.
I have a lincoln invertig 205 it welds nice i just dont like using it, its too
flipping noisey.

Its not the Welding machine that produces good welds it is the Welder.

AS Rodney King once said Can't we all just get along.................

Thanks
jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwx3 For This Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20:31 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,446 Times in 937 Posts

One thing I would think you would loose with that old welder would be a 'foot throttle' type amp control that the new tig welders have. Also not likely to be able to adjust the pos/neg duty cycle on AC. and other features like pre/post gas flow, etc. Of course we 'won the war' with stick n gas and went to the moon with old fashioned tig welders like that, but the new features are nice too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32:35 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

last time I saw one of those big Hobarts was twenty years ago at the iron works fab shop where they build sub-assemblies for the Navy destroyers.

They do all the plate burning, forming and sub assembly of sections on the floor of the fab shop and then they go to the yard for assembly into much larger sections to be sent down to the ways to be assembled into ships. They had dozens of them back them on the floor.
Back in the day they were top quality machines.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:35:35 PM
Registered

thanks Ed

i posted this for info not insults. to the others who replied
The Following User Says Thank You to cub102 For This Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:08:12 PM
Registered

The welder and ratings appear very similar to the Miller 330 abp welder. These welders were offered under various names with different arrangements of the control panel but the main cabinet and components are basically the same. I have a 340 abp which is the same series except has 400 amp at full duty cycle and some what larger frame. They are a good welder just a little on the heavy side to move around. The amp rating on the panel I think has a good safety margin built in. Mine is rated at 135 amps at 240 v but I have taken it on jobs and powered it with a 50 amp breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	miller340.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	180536

Chris
Old 11-27-2013, 08:34:57 PM
Registered

Believe it or not there are newer machines even the suitcase models now that have AC & DC tig / heliarc and their improved duty cycle will weld circles all day around the big older monster machines that weight around 1/2 a ton or more. I was looking at a Miller 330 on military auction on other coast but 910 lbs freight cost makes it unfeasible for me to bid on it. There are old big ones that still do a decent job to tig with but newer machines are so much better after you use one you will never want to go back to a older one again. Older HF high frequency stuff in older machines needs to be grounded with separate ground and separate power input just for that machine. If you don't do that properly you will get high frequency cross feeds on your power lines and fry yours & neighbors computers, tvs & anything modern electronics from the HF cross feeding. There is reason all those older machines are coming on the market because they are being replaced by new more versatile welders today. We are behind on newest welders here other countries have been using inverter types for years way before here.