Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

kohler international 85r72

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1491 times

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22:12 PM
Registered

Exclamation kohler international 85r72

Hello,
I'm new to this, but here we go. I have an old Kohler generator (85R72)with an International UV549, I believe this unit uses the generator as a motor to
start the engine, however I can not get it to turn over. It is a 24 volt system
and I do have the batteries hooked up properly, I can here the propane valve click along with the starting switch but it wont turn over.
I don't have any literature on this machine and would like any and all information on it that I can get.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 08:08:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: kohler international 85r72

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if you have an exciter cranked unit of that size. I know we made some in that range, but not many.

Look at the engine and see if there is an automotive style starter on the flywheel housing. If not, it's exciter cranked.

First thing, get the spec number off the generator nameplate. Without it you'll be swinging in the wind, as everything is based off the spec number.

What size batteries and cables are you using? If you have anything smaller than group 30 or 31 batteries, you're wasting your time. 4D or 8D are ideal, but a little overkill. Likewise, if you don't have cables that are at least #4 or larger, you won't get it to crank, either.

Dan
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

Got one here that is exciter cranked My son and I took a road trip to Virginia Beach, VA to pick it up from a fellow Stak-er, Steve Dawkins.

Look at this schematic in the kohler FAQ (post #5) located at the top of this Kohler board (link) http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47713 Click on the attachments and when they open, click on one of them and it will open in another new window so you can save it as a photograph on your computer, enlarge it etc.

It is likely that there was one of these paper schematics pasted inside the control box cover at one time. If it is still there, PHOTOGRAPH it immediately and save to your computer so you can blow up the photo, rotate, crop, print etc. I tried to remove it for preservation sake, but it was too delicate to get much of it off intact. Photographing it in place would have been a much better plan. When I compared it to these files I had, it was very similar or identical to one of them, so in the end, I wasn't left with nothing to work from.

I think the last time I cranked the Kohler, I jumped a large relay in the control cabinet to get it to crank, it's been SEVERAL years and I can't remember very well. The exciter cranked sets don't have a lot of "oomph" getting the first few pistons over TDC, but once it gets to spinning, it turns quite fast and is QUIET. None of the normal starter noise. If you don't have a muffler, when it fires up, it will get your attention!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41:35 AM
Registered

I know we made some that large, but it was the very top end of the exciter cranked models. The UV549 was a very popular engine both with Kohler and Onan at the time - lots of units in this size range used that engine.

If you want to try and "cheat" the starting system, there will be an automotive style solenoid in the controller cabinet. If you short the two large terminals together you'll get power to the exciter as well as a lot of sparks! Be careful and use something that you don't treasure to do it, as the arcing will scar it up.

If there is no paper schematic in the controller, on the outside of the controller will be a metal tag that says "Kohler Controller" with a number stamped on it. A schematic can be found using that number. If there is no tag, look around in the bottom of the controller for a yellow ink stamping with a letter followed by six digits, like "A-239456", for example. That's the controller number.

Dan
Old 05-25-2014, 09:44:27 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

Or you can take a small jumper wire from the BAT + terminal and touch it to the small control terminal to make the solenoid pull in.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44:01 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rankin View Post
Or you can take a small jumper wire from the BAT + terminal and touch it to the small control terminal to make the solenoid pull in.
True, that would probably be my first choice. If the solenoid is bad, then they could jump the BIG terminals….

Also remember that in many of Kohler's controllers the solenoid is energized by completing the ground path, not providing B+.

Dan