Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Truck frame repair/welding - do's and dont's?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 23041 times

Old 10-26-2014, 07:44:28 PM
Registered

Default Truck frame repair/welding - do's and dont's?

Hey all,

I'm preparing to do a fair amount of welding on the rear portion of my Dodge W350 truck frame. Are there any do's and dont's of frame repair that i should know before proceeding? Most of the work will be done on the middle and bottom of the C-channel frame. I'll probably use 6011 and 7018 AC.

thanks,

conrad
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55:17 AM
Registered

Default Re: Truck frame repair/welding - do's and dont's?

I've seen a lot of truck frames welded. The flanges (top and bottom of the c) need to be sound (no undercut/coldlap etc.) the web not that critical. start with the 6011 then use the 7018 for subsequent passes. Not much to worry about. expecially if behind the spring hangers. good luck.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2014, 05:40:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. most of the problems lie between the front and rear hangers of the rear spring.

Can anyone chime in on reinforcing the frame? There are a couple spots that i'm worried about the thickness being...well...not too thick. most of that is on the web of the frame. i considered bolting plate to the inside or outside, but i'm worried about rust forming in between and warping the frame and plate as it expands.

I'd rather spend the extra time doing this now rather than have to take the bed off again down the road for another repair!

thanks,

conrad
Old 10-27-2014, 06:52:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by con-rad View Post
Thanks for the reply. most of the problems lie between the front and rear hangers of the rear spring.

Can anyone chime in on reinforcing the frame? There are a couple spots that i'm worried about the thickness being...well...not too thick. most of that is on the web of the frame. i considered bolting plate to the inside or outside, but i'm worried about rust forming in between and warping the frame and plate as it expands.

I'd rather spend the extra time doing this now rather than have to take the bed off again down the road for another repair!

thanks,

conrad
If it's real bad how about getting the rear frame from a donor truck and welding it?
The Following User Says Thank You to richardo38 For This Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 07:24:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

If the frame rails are straight, meaning no drop over the axle, you could h ave the frame sandblasted and primed. A fab shop could bend metal to form a channel iron that would slip over the existing frame. We called it "gloving", when I worked in a truck equipment shop.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05:33 PM
Registered

If you are worried about the weld, just weld and smooth as best you can then weld a diamond shaped plate over the weld. After the initial vertical weld attach the diamond plate with angle welds.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:17:45 PM
Registered

I wish the frame rails were straight! they are pretty curvy and it would be tough to make a matching c-channel to fit.

From what it sounds, though, there aren't any horrible "don't EVER fix a frame this way!!" frame repair faux pas, so i guess i'm all set. we'll see how it goes!

thanks,

conrad
Old 10-29-2014, 08:07:30 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

repairing dodge frames is a ongoing piece of work..
Rust never sleeps.

The best way is to make a pattern of the frame with the curves and kinks then cut it out of plate with a plasma cutter. Carve out the rotted parts and install the heavy plate replacement. Be sure you have enough heat from your welder to get solid penetration ,and make sure it has drain holes in the bottom.
Have seen too many folks scab some steel on the outside and then they hit a bump in the road and the whole ass end of the truck hits the ground.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:22:55 PM
Registered

Conrad,
I repaired two W250's many years ago. Both had problems along the the lower flange on the fuel tank side. After I knocked all the rust off and sand blasted the frame. I cut back the thin portions, removed the spring hangers and fabricated new ones, one was so bad I had to plate the frame side and bottom from the cab to halfway up bend. All mig welded with E70, painted with POR15. Never had any problems, put lots of miles on and hauled lots of weight.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11:18 AM
Registered

mike that's right where my truck has it's biggest issues! i think the gas tank is too close to the frame, so leaves and stuff get trapped and rot the bottom of the C channel.

gonna start slicing today! i was thinking, i'm gonna have to block the frame up really well, because i'm going to cut out so much the frame will bend due to no support. good thing i have a couple nice screw jacks!

conrad
Old 11-01-2014, 09:12:32 PM
Registered

i'm not afraid of some cutting and welding. i'm already too deep into this truck to back out! I'll keep you updated on the repair process!

Today i supported the frame with a couple screw jacks so the frame doesn't flop when i chop it up. then it started raining on me for the rest of the day! so, i guess the angle grinder will come out another day...

conrad
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58:41 AM
Subscriber

Con-rad
Thank chairman " Mao loy " for all the calicum pre treat on the roads , awesome way to kill people who don't lease cars trucks, economically ...
The Following User Says Thank You to IronworkerFXR For This Post:
Old 12-15-2014, 09:27:56 PM
Registered

Got the patch panel all drilled and cut and beveled and ready to go. don't worry about those large gaps, there will be a backing plate.

Now i have to wait for the weather to cooperate and i'll get it welded!

conrad
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post: