Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

How to hook Detroit Coil Co buzz coil - pics

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3273 times

Old 04-04-2015, 04:22:27 PM
Registered

Default How to hook Detroit Coil Co buzz coil - pics

I received this buzz coil with my recent hit & miss engine purchase and have no idea how to hook it up. It has three posts which wires can hook to. I can see on the front of it, by the tag, someone wrote plug, so I'd say that one goes to the spark plug. I'm not sure for the posts on top though. I going to try to hook this up to the hit and miss I just got. Any help or diagrams would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 04:57:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,607 Times in 702 Posts
Default Re: How to hook Detroit Coil Co buzz coil - pics

If you have identified the spark terminal the other two don't really matter. One of them is battery + and the other -. The points connect to one of them. So connect battery - to the engine block, battery + to one of the coil contacts, the insulated point contact to the other. When the points close the circuit is complete and you should hear it buzz and get sparks.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

try this link http://www.smokstak.com/articles/buzz_coil.html
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12:19 PM
Registered

The one marked is the spark plug wire. From your battery run one wire to one of the other terminal's and a wire from the other terminal to the spark timing points on your engine. Run a wire from the other post on the battery to ground on the engine or the timing points. Polarity does not mater.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Clark For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:38:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for your help thus far guys. So I hooked the buzz coil up direct to a battery this morning and got nothing out of it. Hooked the + off the battery to one of the terminals and the - to the other terminal on the buzz coil and got nothing. Shouldn't I have got some action out of it like the buzz sound and a spark coming from the points?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,607 Times in 702 Posts

If the buzz coil is known to be good, its points are clean and set correctly you should see some action. I don't know about the Detroit model but Ford's have an internal capacitor that could be open or shorted. In either case the coil won't work properly and is difficult to diagnose. You shouldn't let the coil buzz without a sparkplug connected and grounded either. To do so can damage the coil windings.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:09:48 PM
Registered

I have suffered from the same question and usually found that the coil isn't good because the internal capacitor is either shorted or open circuit. That capacitor ( condenser) is crucial to getting a spark.

But I like to old box and brass fittings.

So I have chipped and melted out the tar inside the box and replace the innards with modern components. The sparks it now throws can be up to 1 in long.

M
The Following User Says Thank You to miro For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:43:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

Make sure the adjusting nut is not tightened down. Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 06:41:27 PM
Registered

Be careful when applying power to it. Detroit (and Pontiac) coils were mostly 6 volt, with a few specially made 12 volt versions (stamped as such). I've found with the ones that I have that the primary winding of the coil is very fragile, and if the vibrator points are stuck closed the winding will just burn up. Of course the same is true for any buzz coil. I've stuck with using Ford coils on my engines since they can take up to 32 volts, but sometimes it's nicer to have an original style coil. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to wise65vw For This Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 11:04:25 PM
Registered

Well I think the thing is dead. It was just thrown in with the non-running engine I just got, so I have no idea if it was good or bad. The terminal nuts were tight. I left the - from the battery to the buzz coil hooked up and just touched the + to the other terminal, not even a small spark or a buzz. The points on top of the box are open and can be adjusted so there is no gap to a lot of gap. so it sounds like it may be something inside. Would it be a lot of trouble to tear into it to get it fixed or would I be better off finding a live one?
Thanks once again.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:09:22 AM
Registered

I would bet that the upper terminal on the front has become disconnected inside, as it should connect directly to the primary winding. If it just came unsoldered, it would be fairly easy to fix by pulling the top off. Problem is, the top on yours is nailed on, so I would just try to find a functioning coil to replace it, and keep that unit for display. Mine make excellent bookends!