Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

My M5 Genset

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1750 times

Old 09-06-2004, 06:18:00 PM
Jim Dunmyer

Default My M5 Genset

Thanks to all you who helped, I managed to get my M5 (WWII Military)genset operational. It ran for most of 4 days at Portland, powering a 1500-watt floodlight and a 1/6 Hp furnace blower. Got the floodlight at the Trading Post because I had forgotten the pipes to hang 6, 100-watt bulbs that I had rigged up at home.

Left 'er on the truck and took 'er to the S.C.R.A.P show in Gibsonburg, OH. She ran 2 full days there, powering the above loads, burning a bit over a gallon/hour of gasoline.

Although both of these shows are oriented towards "flywheel" engines, the genset got lots of attention and favorable comments from attendees and other exhibitors. Although the unit is not uncommon, one in very good shape and actually RUNNING isn't as common. Plus, there's always the contingent of Genset Fanatics. (I plead guilty!)

Sure was fun!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2004, 04:57:09 PM
listerdiesel

Default Re: My M5 Genset

We had a close look over Jim's genny set on our flying visit to the Portland show this year, and it is really neat!

Considering the age of these things and the era they were made, they are in remarkably good condition.

We also saw another unit, similar to Jim's at the Portland sales area, and I think Jim was trying to get the fuel gage of that one to transfer over to his unit (with the owner's permission I should add!)

Well done, Jim!

Peter
Old 09-12-2004, 07:28:10 PM
Jim Dunmyer

Peter, That vendor with the M5 Genset said that I could have the fuel guage from his for mine, as "yours is so nice and complete otherwise". His Cyclo Breakaway penetrant got the cap loose the next morning, so I have the guage assy. It's in sad shape, but I think (Hope!) that I can salvage it.

Chatted with an older lady at the SCRAP show whose sister worked at Triplett during the War. Triplett made the meters for that genset, so that was an interesting connection.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:47:49 PM
listerdiesel

Hi Jim:

Glad you got the gage off OK, quite a coincidence about the Triplett employee!

Peter