Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

An Electrical Engineer’s Powerwall

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 979 times

Old 08-14-2019, 04:57:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: An Electrical Engineer’s Powerwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterfallEEHouse View Post
...........I’ve heard some of the setup was for meter cheating the old-style meters and apparently, the only way they caught him is he accidentally spun it back too far and the power company paid him one month...........
Years ago I knew of a farmer who used to put his electric meter in upside down so it would run in reverse and lessen his power bill (energy theft!) but one year he forgot to right it soon enough and when the meter reader did the annual read, it appeared he had used a huge amount of power and he of course was billed for it. He went into the local power office and actually told them what he had been doing! They just adjusted his bill and let him go at that.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36:35 AM
Registered

Amazing information all. ����

Will try and find again and get posted the diagrams this week.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:40:41 PM
eMail NOT Working

Wayne, I'm sure if you and I were standing there with a piece of paper, some screwdrivers, a meter or two, and a toner, we could figure out the basics of it in about two cold beverages.

Complex things, are really just amalgations of simple things... and smart guys make logical decisions. I've enjoyed being a 'reverse-engineer' as much as being an engineer... some days, I think I'm better at learning from others' designs (and mistakes) than MAKING MY OWN!!!! :-D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 10:30:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,908 Times in 3,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
Wayne, I'm sure if you and I were standing there with a piece of paper, some screwdrivers, a meter or two, and...
And my favorite tool- a long, nonconductive stick for those times when patience runs out and you decide to "see what this switch does".
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00:00 AM
eMail NOT Working

Hee hee...

Back when I was teaching 3-phase AC drives for railroad propulsion, the first thing I did in class, was hand out materials... a fiberglass rod, end probe, resistor, and ground lead, for each student to assemble, and then we tested each one.

The Chicken Stick. Connect the clip lead to ground, then touch it to each capacitor, to force a discharge. The chicken stick lead sometimes used in conjunction with a meter or lamp to measure, but the resistor made sure that it wasn't a dead short.

The stick was also used to push against components suspected of having poor connections... if pressure changed the circumstance, we found our culprit.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post: