Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

OLD GAS in ENGINE experience

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2787 times

Old 01-12-2001, 05:22:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default OLD GAS in ENGINE experience

In 1999 I showed my 6HP Famous portable at few of the local shows and it always ran well . Since then, it's only been run a few times at home, and I always use fuel stabilizer in the gas. WELL, the last time I tried to run it, it wouldn't run "> , so I started another engine to show someone how they "should" run, and I'll work on it when it gets a bit warmer outside. Yesterday it got to about 45 degrees, so, I worked on it. Checked the battery(OK) replaced it anyway. Checked the coil(OK) replaced it anyway. Cleaned all the connections, wiring and the igniter. Even checked the igniter for grounding and freedom to snap well, and spark(all OK). Everything appeared to be OK, but still would not start "> even though it had plenty of gas. So, I pulled and cleaned the igniter "AGAIN" and before replacing it, gave the cylinder a shot of starting fluid . Tried again, and it started , fired twice and then quit . I took a close look at the gas and it seemed a bit like kerosene and was dark in color and had no odor ? So, I drained the tank(4 gallons or so) and the mixer. Put "FRESH" gas in the mixer over/flow, choked the engine and it fired on the second revolution and never quit till I shut it off a half hour later . I tried to start it again just to check it out, and it did . OLD GAS "> , BAD GAS "> even with fuel stabilizer , could be a starting problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2001, 10:17:00 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,272 Times in 2,496 Posts
Default Re: OLD GAS in ENGINE

This is a problem for old and new. Maybe that stabilizer stuff is only good for so long.

Too bad we can't trick out the fuel tanks to hold a quart and still look their original size. I've found that a quart of gasoline will idle an engine for a long time at a show.

Now, about that 4 gallon tank on my Witte! ">
Old 01-12-2001, 05:07:22 PM
Bob Naske

The engines that I show during the summer season usually only have about a quart in them. On a nice Saturday in October just before they are put away for the winter I bring them outside,start them up,get out the lawn chairs & lemonade & have my own little show-when they run out of gas the show's over & they're put away dry for the winter!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 01:17:41 PM
Bob

Has anyone ever tried airplane gas? It should have a longer shelf life.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:19:04 PM
John Rolli

Default Re: OLD GAS in ENGINE experience

I have had good luck with the stabilizer put out by Briggs&Stratton.FRESH gas treated will keep for at least 2 years.Its a waste of time to treat old gas as it does nothing for it and will go stale in the same time frame.John.
Old 01-13-2001, 04:58:47 PM
Bob

I no longer store any gas in engines at all. I keep my engines in my garage where there is a water heater and laundry. About a year ago I had a Hercules engine gas tank spring a leak and put about a cup of gas on the floor before I caught it. I really got lucky and learned a big time lesson. No gas in the garage any more. I just got sloppy and could have lost the house.
Old 01-13-2001, 05:36:12 PM
Chuck

I started using drip gas when I can get it , and when I cant- coleman fuel has quickly become my new favorite fuel . Stuff seems to last forever .
Old 01-13-2001, 07:27:32 PM
scott

What is drip gas?
Old 01-13-2001, 07:51:22 PM
Chuck

¿>>whats drip gas?
Old 01-13-2001, 09:23:02 PM
George Vaughan

I have used the Gumout brand stabilizer with good results. Kept a 2 gallon can of treated gasoline stored for a full year and it was fine when I used it. I did fill the can all the way to the top as to allow as little room for air as possible.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:49:07 PM
john Culp

The gas stabilizer keeps the gasoline from polymerizing and gumming things up, but it can't keep the lighter fractions of the gasoline from evaporating. So it ends up being relatively nonvolatile, kerosene-like stuff that won't vaporize well enough to start the engine. If you have a dual-fuel mixer, you can start on fresh gas and then it'll run on this stuff; otherwise you'll just have to drain it and put in fresh stuff.
Old 01-17-2001, 04:52:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

John: Thanks for the explaination. That's exactly what happened . Put in "FRESH" gas and away it went.

Paul in Lakewood, NJ
Old 01-17-2001, 08:59:50 AM
John Culp

That's what I expected, Paul. Glad it worked! :-)

John