Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Nuts - 12.5 JC

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1797 times

Old 02-12-2006, 09:26:04 AM
Registered

Default Nuts - 12.5 JC

A while back I posted the installation of a 12.5 JC Serial #177026279 That came off a utility company service truck. Over the past 6 months I have ran it under load once a month for about a hr.(Everything worked great) this last week I went to start it and it started ran about 10 minutes without load I was about to transfer the load and she quite. Started a couple more times but no joy.
I put the charger on and tried starting the next day no joy again ant this time the toggle switch would not shut started off. Took at least a minute to find tools to disconnect the battery.
So thats where we sit right now. Battery is new, I have confirmed LP gas vapor is at the Carb. I did not pull a plug to ck for spark.
Can I just replace toggle switch for on and off?
I have read of low oil shut down sensors, etc how would I ck those if they were on this unit,
As probably noted I am a real noobie to this onan stuff and would welcome any suggestions.
My first post and Pic of unit is on page 8 under walnut11
Thank for your help
David Peck
Stockbridge Mi.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2006, 09:36:27 AM

Thanked 16,728 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default Re: Nuts

Yes you can replace to switch any good supply house should have one.If it has a low oil shutdown it will have a red button on the control panel.You will also find a pressure switch by the oil filter.Look inside the control box for loose wires or any relay that is loose.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:55:15 AM
Registered

Default Re: Nuts - 12.5 JC

Just thought that I would update you fine folks on my non starting Gen set.
I needed to have the starter rebuilt after that was complete found that the electronic distributer took a leap and self distructed. Installed a new positronic unit all is well.
Although I did install the positronic unit the starter and problem solving was done by a local gen set company.
Still wonder how you would ck for something like this and is it the collective wisdom that these positronic units are a good thing. Do they fail that often should I have something like this on hand??

Thanks to all
David Peck
Stockbridge Mi